Chit Chat
Options

Unplugged Evening

FI and I were talking last night and he mentioned that we should do an unplugged evening this week. And I think this sounds like a good idea. 

We spent most of our at-home time this weekend plugged into something. I played hours of Dragon Age on my computer. Like a little bit ridiculous number of hours. We watched some old episodes of Face Off while we both crafted. We do stuff in the same room, but we don't really do it together and I feel like we've lost some of the connection stuff we used to do.

So I'm looking for some suggestions of what you and your Significant Other might do that doesn't include TV/computers/smart phones.

Re: Unplugged Evening

• Options
    Cooking 
    Exercising/Hiking
    Yoga 
    Shopping 
    Eating/Drinking at a restaurant 

A lot of times when we feel like we need to unplug, we just stow our phones etc. away in the bedroom and hang out in the kitchen and talk. And if we go out to dinner, we'll leave our phones in the car.  

• Options
    Go ice skating!!  Or take a walk through a park.  I know it's winter and cold.  We went to a festival a few weeks ago that had a story to the trail you walked through.  And there was bannock and tea for free.  

Board games, if you have any for only 2 people.  Or maybe a pub/bar with a quiz night/name that tune.  Karaoke night out, though it's kinda plugged in for those 2 ideas.  Go watch a local roller derby bout.  They're so much fun.  

Look in your local free paper if you have one for events and ideas.  DH used to scour them when we were dating for ideas of things happening.  Now that we're married we sit on the couch too.  :)

• Options
    Never mind my post.  Addie's is better.  

• Options

Card games - Uno/ Uno attack is really good. 

Cooking

Walking/ museum/ aquarium/ ice skating/ snow ball fights/ snow man

Build something - Legos, models, Card house, blanket fort.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    hiking and cooking!

FI and I try to get out every saturday and sunday for at least an hour and go wandering through the forest. Sometimes we have to bundle up and brave the elements but it feels really good to get outside together!

We also do new recipe date nights. Choose a complicated recipe and print it off. Spend the evening prepping and cooking together! its great for communication and super fun! Even some of our failures in the kitchen have lead to some great bonding experiences. Heck we had a minor grease fire once and we both managed to keep calm and solve the problem without getting hurt and it was a major relationship/communication milestone. 
  • Options
    Talk, cook, play cards, dance, sex, go for walks, go and have a glass of wine somewhere.
  • Options
    We started doing a night each week where we unplug for the evening. No tv, no phones, iPads, etc. It's been really great because it means we really focus on each other. I usually do turn on some music, usually a Pandora station, just to have some background music (Miles Davis, Nat King Cole are good stations). 

We usually cook dinner together, eat, and then play some games. I love card games. We have been playing rummy lately. Scrabble is good too. Just whatever you find appealing. I agree hiking is a fun activity to do together, but if it's a weeknight, especially this time of year, it's going to be dark pretty early after work. Just a walk around the neighborhood is fun to do together too. 

Ultimately, things you already like to do, or things that you would be game to try together, are good. 

• Options
    Last night SO and I had an "unplugged" evening.  We put our phones away and then sat next to each other reading the latest books we'd picked up from B&N.  

Ice skating, walking, hiking, card/board games, gym, cooking, talking, and walking down to our local pub for a drink or two are all things we like to do when Netflix starts to become too dominant a presence in our lives.  

• Options
    While it's not "unplugged", we enjoy playing our NES simulator games together (Gauntlet mostly). We are getting an SNES simulator so we can play Mario Kart too.

I also really like Mancala too.
  • Options
    We don't have cable TV so we kind of "unplug" every night from mindless stuff.. something that is on the TV that we do but it is together is play just Wii Sports.. we do our "ages" and then pick a couple games to play against each other.. we also like Monopoly and Farkle, or we just sit with a glass of wine and talk about our days. We also have a set of "fun" books we both want to read and I will read them out loud to him.. yep, this all seems a bit "cheesy" and not what a guy would want to do but my man grew up farming and works in construction management so if he can get into all of this I firmly believe anyone can :) Oh and I liked the other suggestion.. SEX.. that's always a great activity to do together!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We do media free evenings at least twice a month. It started because FSS was turning into a vegetable that couldn't function without a cell phone, but I realized it has been a great experience for us as well.

Most of these nights we end up playing Scrabble or go for a walk around the neighborhood. Now that its warm we will also grab a bottle of wine and the three of us lay out in the yard looking at the stars. We have also been known to sit on the floor with Legos for hours, though FSS usually reads next to us since he's "too old" for Legos.

If you share our lack of maturity you should look into getting THESE story cubes. They are totally silly, but you just take turns making stories out of the pictures on the dice.

• Options
    We also have a set of "fun" books we both want to read and I will read them out loud to him.. yep, this all seems a bit "cheesy" and not what a guy would want to do but my man grew up farming and works in construction management so if he can get into all of this I firmly believe anyone can :) 
    I've totally done that! I mean, I don't know if by "fun" books you mean erotica (I don't), but I LOVE reading out loud and one of my ex's used to love to listen to me read so we did that a lot.
  • Options
    We do trivia night at a local restaurant every week. Usually it's unplugged due to rules. This week I have a friend going through a rough time, so I was talking to her via Facebook after we turned in our answers. But normally we spend that time poking fun at each other and debating the right answer - or if we don't know, figuring out the best answer to get a laugh out of the trivia master.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! We ended up playing Stone Age (a new to us board game) last night after dinner. And he kicked my butt. So a rematch is probably needed.

I'm going to try and implement some of the other suggestions in the coming weeks. Especially picking out a fun recipe to try.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards