Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

dress regret

for the married ladies, did you have dress regret after the wedding? it seems like a lot of us including myself overthink the dress choice. i thought finding a dress would be easy as i'm pretty decisive on most things but i'm having a really hard time commiting. i've gone to a few stores and everytime i walk out i think i've found the one but then i second guess it. i'm worried if i pick a plainer dress i'll regret it because it'll be too normal and then i think if i pick a more unique dress i'll regret it's not traditional enough. heh. just wondering if the married ladies had words of advice and if they had dress regret.

Re: dress regret

• i'm not married yet, 11 days, but my advice is to stop once you think you have found the one!  i did not get teary like some when i tried on my dress, i just could not stop smiling!  i did not even want to try more on to get other images in my head.  we had 1 or 2 more in the dressing room and i don't even remember what they might look like because i never tried them on.  its a gut thing, go with one you love!
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Maybe for a bit after I actually purchased it. I think some of it was due to the fact that I had spent so much money and had to wait 8 mos for it to come in and try it on again. I had a heck of a time deciding between 2 dresses and went with the one I didn't think I was going to get. I took my MIL and SIL with me and along with them and other customers in the bridal salon, they told me the one that I ended up buying looked the best on me.

Well, I am so glad I went with it. I had so many compliments from our family and friends on our wedding day. I guess that was all it took for me to be assured it was the right dress. After that, I wanted to wear it so bad even though it was at my Grandma's house back where we are from. I loooved going to the fittings bc it gave me an excuse to try it on and get more pics in it.

Don't second guess yourself. Or take someone with you that will give you the honest opinion. Regardless of the dress you choose, it will look just as beautiful on you as it did the day you tried it on.
  • I did regret my first dress. I bought it on impulse because it was very inexpensive and my mom loved it. I liked it but didn't love it. When I took more time and found my dress I LOVED it. We got married a few weeks ago and the one thing I kept saying when looking at pictures is that my dress was perfect. It looked amazing. You won't regret it if you take the time to find something you love
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_dress-regret?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:1536f712-f626-4d11-b1bf-40cd4e7c7c68Post:39d88242-871b-4c24-83a9-fa9c749ac0d5">dress regret</a>:
    [QUOTE]for the married ladies, did you have dress regret after the wedding? it seems like a lot of us including myself overthink the dress choice. i thought finding a dress would be easy as i'm pretty decisive on most things but i'm having a really hard time commiting. i've gone to a few stores and everytime i walk out i think i've found the one but then i second guess it. i'm worried if i pick a plainer dress i'll regret it because it'll be too normal and then i think if i pick a more unique dress i'll regret it's not traditional enough. heh. just wondering if the married ladies had words of advice and if they had dress regret.
    Posted by unplainjane[/QUOTE]

Pick a dress, and stop looking. Realize that when your FI sees you walking down the aisle, you'll be <strong>drop dead gorgeous</strong> <strong>no matter what you wear</strong>. You have plenty of other items for your wedding planning to keep yourself busy.

I made a custom outfit, after a couple, a dozen, stores, because I was indecisive, and I couldn't pick what I wanted.    As for too normal, or not pretty enough, or too plain, forget about it.  Be happy!  Try it on, take pictures, and SMILE!!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • My dress is actually the very first one I tried on. I tried on about 25 that day with mu mom, but we kept compariing every dress to the first one, and thinking of how we could alter it to look more like the first one. Very silly I know, but I was really enjoying spending the day one on one with my mom. She was even thinking of how we can alter it.

Before we called it quits for the day we went back to the store where I tried on the first dress, tried it on again...and start crying. We knew it was *the dress* for me.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got extremely lucky and found my dream dress. It was exactly what I wanted, so I never regretted my dress choice.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • I did regret my dress. It was the first thing I bought in the planning process. I bought it 12 months out, before I had figured out any of the rest of the wedding theme or style or anything. Every couple months I'd try it on again and like it less and less but there wasn't enough money for another one. The wedding was beautiful and I felt good but I'll always wish I had waited to get the dress and get the right one.
  • My dress is actually the very first one I tried on. I tried on about 25 that day with mu mom, but we kept compariing every dress to the first one, and thinking of how we could alter it to look more like the first one. Very silly I know, but I was really enjoying spending the day one on one with my mom. She was even thinking of how we can alter it.

For more information you can come

http://wholesales-wedding-dresses.com/

• I agree, when I found mine I just couldn't stop smiling and my mom says it was all over my face that it was the one. I only tried on 5 total. But then that damn "Say Yes to the Dress" show was on and I began to think I may have picked the wrong dress....so my sister forbade me from watching the show and when I went to try it on again at my parents house a few days ago-I fell in love with it all over again! So just stick with it and DO NOT go to try on anymore! I love my gown and I can't wait to wear it!
  • I think the dress is a subject of much understandable-but needless stress. What everyone sees is you in a big beautiful white thing (assuming you are doing the traditional dress). Honestly, I cannot recall details of the dress at most of the weddings I have been to. 

I did love my dress, but I always thought after I bought it about how this or that style would have been nicer, more comfortable, whatever. Then after the wedding, and seeing the photos I realized I made the right choice for me. There we are under the great big sky at Red Rock Canyon in Nevada, and the dress seems just right now. When I actually had it on, what I was wearing or how I looked was actually the very last thing on my mind. Getting married is an amazing experience, so much more important than any dress.

So, don't worry the dress will be wonderful-whatever dress you choose.
  • I regretted my first dress but a few months before the wedding I found the ONE.  No regrets at all that I chose another dress!
  • I had two dresses that I couldnt choose between, and even though I loved one more then the other it was hard for me to choose. One was very Princess like and my mom, mother-in-law loved it the other was just so me and they loved that one too, but thought the princess one was more of a stand out dress . In the end I picked the one that fit my taste and personality. I was nervous though I had to order it on the spot because it had to go through customs and it would take 6 months or more for me to get it. Which made me nervous, however when it came in and I tried it on again, I was still in love with it. I say, go with what fits you and once you find the dress try not to stress. Good Luck

• I just got married about a month ago and as I was getting closer to the wedding and looking in mags and watching shows I started to feel like - maybe I like a different style than my dress. My dress was actually the first one I tried on! I did try a bunch but went back to this one. But....as I see my pics and how I looked, it looked, my husband looked at me and all the compliments I got and keep getting - I don't regret it at all!!! I think watching all those wedding shows and reading the bridal mags make us feel like that...LOL!
  • I never once regretted my dress.  I still LOVE my dress...however, after seeing pictures of me putting it on, and walking around without the bolaro at the end, I am regretting wearing the bolaro all day.  apparently I have shoulders that can handle strapless vs cap sleeves, and the cap sleeves made my arms look HUGE!  So I should have totally gone strapless all toghether or tried to modify the sleeves on the jacket.  I have never worn anything strapless before and just assumed I didn't have the body for it.  Man was I wrong! 
  • There are moments where i look back and ask 'could i have found something differant if i'd just kept trying dresses on?' but then i agree totally with all the PPs, once you find something that you believe in your heart is the 'one' (teary-eyed, can't stop grinning, feels just right, etc.) STOP!!!

I went without my mother to start trying on dresses...i was living in a differant city at the time that i started looking. I literally had nobody with me...and i made a decision based on the fact that i didn't want to try on anymore and i was frustrated. I didn't buy it, thank goodness, and when my mom came to visit next, we went and i tried on the same ones and differant and then went to the one i had settled on. It was a 2nd try that i noticed certain things didn't look right and i just felt wrong. In the end, my mother and i were going through the racks and ended up grabbing the same exact dress, a discontinued designer ball gown that i fell in love with...i didn't get teary eyed, but as someone else said...i could not stop grinning.

There are days where i also wonder what the heck i was thinking wearing a ball-gown type dress..i grew up a tomboy, i was very non-girly ( i still hate pink) and here i was in a froufy type dress...but if i had gone in with one single dress type in mind, i never would have found the 'one'
  • I'm getting married in September (about 30 days) and didn't buy my dress until June. I found a gorgeous gown after a nightmare described below.

I started looking last Nov and in order to save money I hired an on line vendor to make the gown. They claimed to be able to replicate any gown to look 95-97% like the real gown. Well, it turned out to be a huge mistake on my part. They sent me a gown that looked nothing like what I ordered and it was made like a piece of crap. It was a lady who lives in TN and runs and on line wedding site to make gowns. I sent back the gown according to their specifications on the site to get my money back. When I asked for the final piece of info from her to return the gown she stopped communicating with me altogether. I returned the gown within the time frame and followed all the rules and she will not answer our calls or emails.

The dress cost me 535.00 so she ripped me off for that amount. I was furious. I was even more furious when I went to her site and saw that she is reselling the gown with all my measurements from my measurement form on her website.

I contacted the civil court and have issued a warrent for her to appear in small claims court a few days after we marry. We are driving to our honeymoon on the east coast and driving right through TN. I called the court, told them my story and they let me pick my court date. It actually worked out perfectly as we were planning on spending the night in TN then driving the rest of the way the next day.

So the Monday morning after the wedding we will be suing her!!! There is no way I will let anyone rip me off for over 500 bucks and not take action. I wrote her and called her and told her I am going to take legal action against her. So she shouldn't be surprised when the sheriff shows up to serve her this week.
  • I am not a huge fan of the dress I wore. I like it, I don't love it. I love the train and thankfully have quite a few photos showing that off so I am thankful for that. My problem is that I really fell in love with the dress but it didn't have 2 key things that I wanted..a sweetheart neckline, and a corset back. I was told that it could be altered to have both those things. Don't ever believe that. I didn't get have either. Do not buy a dress that you would alter anything on with the exception of size or possibly length, it never works out like its suppose to. I guess I just got too excited too quickly. Needless to say I like the dress enough that I am planning on wearing it again for a TTD however I am not so attached to it that I am worried about it getting dirty. Actually probably the only dress I would never trash would be a Pnina Tornai.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards