Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Gift/thank you help

Background - my wedding is in June, and a shower is going to be in April.

The other day a girlfriend asked if I was registered anywhere and I let her know. She then sent a message saying a gift was on its way and she was just going down her list of weddings this year, and knocking out gifts for everyone to be organized because she has a crazy time coming up.

Saturday, a box from Target arrives with the gift (ka mixer).

So how do I handle the thank you!? I don't even know if this is a shower gift, wedding gift, etc. Should I just write and send a thank you now, or wait until after those events? To be honest, I haven't even purchased thank yous yet, but have my just plain thank yous I keep around for random things.

I'm just not sure the etiquette on receiving a gift this early.

Re: Gift/thank you help

• Options
    You don't need to specify what it is in your TY note. You can just say:

"Dear SoandSo,

Thank you so much for the (insert gift)! We can't wait to make (insert things you'll make) with it after the wedding. We're looking forward to seeing you (insert time you'll next see them - whether it's the shower, wedding or whatever)! 

Love, 
    cgss11 and cgss11's FI"
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Always send the thank you right away. She needs to know that you've received it! It doesn't matter if it's a shower gift, wedding gift, or a both.  

Go ahead and open it and make sure it's not damaged. Then put it away and don't use it until after the wedding. 
  • Options
    Prefect, thank you!

I will order some thank yous today (need to sometime anyways) and will send hers as soon as I get them.
  • Options
    I agree, send thank you now so sender knows that you got it. If it's something electronic, maybe plug it in to make sure it works & the package it back up. This way if it doesn't work, you can go & exchange it now for a working one because depeneding on items, they could be discontinued by time your shower comes around & you may have a hard time exchanging it then.
  • Options
    Shower gifts and wedding gifts are essentially the same thing. All gifts are being purchased because you are getting married.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Never say "thank you for the shower gift" unless the card specifically says "this is a shower gift" or you opened it at your shower. If someone mails you a gift you should assume it is a wedding present, otherwise you risk looking gift grabby :)

Don't use the gift until after the wedding, or be prepared to replace it if (gosh forbid) anything happens and the wedding does not occur.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Yeah, I sadly put the mixer in the closet yesterday. I opened it and turn it on, then away it went. I dropped a thank you in the mail for her yesterday. I ordered some wedding thank yous finally, but remembered she's actually getting ready to be out of town for quite awhile so I wanted to make sure she got it before she left. 

Thanks for the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards