Chit Chat
Options

That was definitely something.

So I don't post all that much, but I really needed to shout this from the rooftops...

Sunday afternoon, I watched my friend give birth. She had a beautiful, huge baby boy that they've waited on for a long time now.

It was a really eye-opening experience.

I know a number of the ladies here are either expecting currently, hoping to, or already have children. And, well....

That's really fucking incredible. 

Watching my friend on Sunday was so humbling. It was a wonderful, disgusting, magical thing.

And I just want to give a quick kudos to everyone who has been there, or is planning to. 

That's all. Carry on :)

Re: That was definitely something.

• Options

The doctors asked me if I wanted to have a mirror so I could watch my son being born. I said HELL NO. While I understand its a miracle, nobody needs to see that mess.

It was still incredible, just less traumatizing.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You watched the birth?? Like. You watched?
  • Options
    My friend's friend is going to give birth any day now, and she's expected to attend. There will be a drum circle. I'm excited to hear all about it.

Congrats to your friend! I'm not looking forward to the whole birth thing myself (hopefully won't experience it for a couple years, though God willing I'll get to experience it at all), but when FI and I went to visit his sister in the hospital a couple weeks ago when she was in the early stages of labor I thought, "Doesn't look so bad! I mean she's angry, but she's always angry anyway, so I bet I could so totally handle this."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    If you're like Carrie standing by Miranda, holding her hand while she pushes, that's cool.

If you watched the baby come out of her vagina, well, all power to you. I couldn't manage that myself and have no intention of having my husband, much less any friends, watch anything come out of my vagina either. 

To each their own I suppose. Medical professionals seem to be most inclined to find it fascinating. 

I did enjoy a documentary on Lifetime where they showed the whole process and that was very eye-opening and moving, for sure. Many tears shed by me during that show. 

• Options
    edited February 2015
    My friend's friend is going to give birth any day now, and she's expected to attend. There will be a drum circle. I'm excited to hear all about it.

Congrats to your friend! I'm not looking forward to the whole birth thing myself (hopefully won't experience it for a couple years, though God willing I'll get to experience it at all), but when FI and I went to visit his sister in the hospital a couple weeks ago when she was in the early stages of labor I thought, "Doesn't look so bad! I mean she's angry, but she's always angry anyway, so I bet I could so totally handle this."
    This made me laugh. I could see me saying that about someone who is normally not very bright and sunshiney lol

As to the topic at hand, I believe birth truly is an incredible, magical thing. I also think I saw enough of it while watching then movie Knocked Up. Kudos to you though! :)
    Anniversary

• Options
    KatWAG said:

The doctors asked me if I wanted to have a mirror so I could watch my son being born. I said HELL NO. While I understand its a miracle, nobody needs to see that mess.

It was still incredible, just less traumatizing.

I was asked the same, and had the same response! Also why FI was standing by my head!
  • Options
    Whoa kudos to you if you actually watched the actual... birth. I don't even want to see my own, let alone anyone else's.

• Options
    I was going to watch my sister have my niece, but that kid decided to make a rush entrance so I missed it.  I find all that science-y kinda gory stuff to be completely fascinating.  I bet it's pretty amazing!

• Options
    You're a braver woman than I, so kudos to you. I probably would have fainted.

FMIL was a labor and delivery nurse for 25 years and I can't imagine watching that every single day like it's NBD. When I told her the story about my cousin having her baby in the car she was like, "Oh yeah, if it was her third child then I bet it just shot right out." Uhh...what??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    You watched the birth?? Like. You watched?
    I've seen a live birth.   Saw the baby push her way out.

The mom's husband and sister were in the room too.  They stuck firmly by the mom's head.   Neither had any desire to see the new baby until she was cleaned up.    I was like all like "well that was pretty cool".   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I was in the room with my sister for all three of her kids. I watched my first nephew being born and I almost threw up a few times. After that I stayed up near her head and held her hand. For a few months after nephew number 1 was born I swore I would never have kids.
  • Options
    So I don't post all that much, but I really needed to shout this from the rooftops...

Sunday afternoon, I watched my friend give birth. She had a beautiful, huge baby boy that they've waited on for a long time now.

It was a really eye-opening experience.

I know a number of the ladies here are either expecting currently, hoping to, or already have children. And, well....

That's really fucking incredible. 

Watching my friend on Sunday was so humbling. It was a wonderful, disgusting, magical thing.

And I just want to give a quick kudos to everyone who has been there, or is planning to. 

That's all. Carry on :)
    You....watched?
    I watched from only the waist up! I glanced down and immediately regretted it. I held her hand and mopped her brow. Because I am not strong enough for the real stuff!
  • Options
    I saw that video in high school health class and it was better than birth control. I STILL don't know if I'l ever have kids and that was thirteen or fourteen years ago.

You're brave, is all I'm saying. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I feel like I would be okay watching a birth. It wouldn't be my first choice or anything, but I think I could handle it. I like "gross" medical-type things. Plus my sister is an L&D nurse so I feel like I've heard enough stories that it wouldn't surprise me.

What I couldn't/wouldn't/won't do is watch myself. NOPE. I am perfectly happy understanding how far my body can stretch without actually seeing the physical proof. (I'm also the one who can see anyone else's blood but my own, so there's that). 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    Bahaha at all of the responses here.  I don't mind seeing those kinds of things, which is good considering the profession I'm entering.  SO can't handle any of that stuff.  I'm guessing he will be firmly planted by my head during labor when we finally decide to have children. 

I'm still very much on the "get your birthing photos off of fucking facebook" train though. 

Congrats to your friend, OP!

• Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    I feel like I would be okay watching a birth. It wouldn't be my first choice or anything, but I think I could handle it. I like "gross" medical-type things. Plus my sister is an L&D nurse so I feel like I've heard enough stories that it wouldn't surprise me.

What I couldn't/wouldn't/won't do is watch myself. NOPE. I am perfectly happy understanding how far my body can stretch without actually seeing the physical proof. (I'm also the one who can see anyone else's blood but my own, so there's that). 
    OMG yes this. Instantly woozy if I see myself bleeding. 

• Options
    I'm actively hoping my sister doesn't want me at any births. Please, for the love of fuck tell me someone - ANYONE  else is who you want with you in that moment.

It really isn't so bad as long as stay above the waist. Plus you get to be one of the first people to hold the baby. That was part was pretty cool. I actually got to hold my niece before my BIL because he got there after she was born.
  • Options
    I saw a video of this in High School for a Child Development class, and passed out. This might be why I have decided no kids :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I saw a video of this in High School for a Child Development class, and passed out. This might be why I have decided no kids :)
    Dude, sex ed sucked. When I was eleven we had to learn about puberty and how babies were made. So they tell us that this is what is happening to the boys, and some day a boy is going to stick it in us and rip us apart with a baby, because jizzing is fun for boys.
    Female pleasure was never mentioned. There was no reason for a girl to want to do this. So here I am, at eleven, already getting inklings that I don't want to have babies, and I'm told that when I reach adulthood I would be expected to lie under a naked boy, let him stick his nasty spongey genitals in my body, shoot slime up all in and over me, and then endure the abolute hellish-looking nightmare that pregnancy and birth was painted as. Why? Because I'm a girl and that's what girls do.

I felt like crying. Peter Pan suddenly had the right fucking idea.
    Ugh, yeah. I never got that in school but that's pretty much how the book my mom gave me described it. Don't get me wrong, I like sex now, but the idea of childbearing still terrifies me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Dude, sex ed sucked. When I was eleven we had to learn about puberty and how babies were made. So they tell us that this is what is happening to the boys, and some day a boy is going to stick it in us and rip us apart with a baby, because jizzing is fun for boys.
    Female pleasure was never mentioned. There was no reason for a girl to want to do this. So here I am, at eleven, already getting inklings that I don't want to have babies, and I'm told that when I reach adulthood I would be expected to lie under a naked boy, let him stick his nasty spongey genitals in my body, shoot slime up all in and over me, and then endure the abolute hellish-looking nightmare that pregnancy and birth was painted as. Why? Because I'm a girl and that's what girls do.

So maybe all this super pressure to never have sex, for fear of babies tearing us apart lead to so much sexual extermination with other girls because no pregnancy worrys.

I think this would be quite funny as it would be the "worst thing" in the eyes of the people who were afraid girls might like sex. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Congrats to your friend OP and how great you were there for her!  I could never actually watch, watch it.  I would prefer to be from the waist up myself, preferably at the head. 

I also think it is a fascinating, incredible thing that women give birth, other women, because I am terrified of the birthing process.  We won't be able to afford a kid until 2-3 years from now and I am actually kind of thankful.  As much as I love children, I am not ready right now as the birthing process scares the bajeezus out of me and I am not ready for all of that responsibility. 

• Options

We got a whats happening to my body talk in like 5th or 6th grade but I had strep and missed it. I probably could've taught the damn class.

Sex ed happened in 10th grade, mostly DO NOT HAVE SEX okthanksbye. And I was the obnoxious kid that kept asking about safe sex between same sex couples. Hey, if I'm going down on another girl I'm not worried about knocking her up, but what about herpes? How do I protect myself? What's a dental dam? How does scissoring work? That last one got me kicked out of class. I guess my teacher didn't know. I knew. I knew all the answers.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

We got a whats happening to my body talk in like 5th or 6th grade but I had strep and missed it. I probably could've taught the damn class.

Sex ed happened in 10th grade, mostly DO NOT HAVE SEX okthanksbye. And I was the obnoxious kid that kept asking about safe sex between same sex couples. Hey, if I'm going down on another girl I'm not worried about knocking her up, but what about herpes? How do I protect myself? What's a dental dam? How does scissoring work? That last one got me kicked out of class. I guess my teacher didn't know. I knew. I knew all the answers.

SITB :(

I remember in grade four, a nurse came in and drew a sperm on the chalkboard. And then started talking about 'nocturnal emissions' and for DAYS the girls in class were discussing what those could be because they were never explained. Ah, the days before Google.

• Options
    edited June 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards