Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Professional Hair + Makeup?

Hi y'all,

I am struggling figuring out if I should get hair and makeup professionally done! It is so expensive, it would cost over $1,000 for myself and my bridesmaids hair and makeup. I was thinking just having someone do hair and everyone doing their own makeup. Does having you makeup professionally done make that much of a difference? What did y'all do and how did it come out?

Thanks!

Re: Professional Hair + Makeup?

• I for one know I need to have both done professionally. I know two hair styles I can do on myself: down and in a ponytail.

Unless you are telling your bridesmaids that they must have their hair done and that they must have their makeup done, you don't need to pay for them. It's a nice gesture, but certainly not required of you (unless you're making it a requirement). I would suggest scheduling hair and makeup for yourself if you want it done, and finding out from both the hair and makeup artists how much it would be per bridesmaid. Let your bridesmaids know how much each would be, and give them the option. Fine if they say yes, they will pay for themselves. Fine if they say no.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Agree with the PP, you don't need to pay for your bridesmaids hair and makeup unless you're requiring that they get it done. Just tell them "If you'd like professional hair and makeup, it's $X for each. Let me know if you want to do that or if you'll do your own so I can get an accurate headcount." If you're requiring it though, you need to pay for it. And it's not their "gift" because it's something for you (and your pictures), not for them.

For me, hair and makeup for myself is a must. I can basically do 3 things with my hair.... straight, bun, and ponytail. And I can do basically nothing with my makeup. So for the most photographed day of my life, I'd rather pay a professional.

Some people are way more comfortable doing their own hair and makeup already, or have the time and resources to learn. In that case, it's obviously not necessary.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I didn't pay for any of my girls. I told them where I was going & the prices and told them if any of them wanted to join me at the salon to let me know and I would make sure there was a stylist available for them. Having someone come to you is great but it is cheaper going to a salon if possible. Also depending on how many girls want to get their hair down, it can be a time saver going to the salon because they can have more stylist scheduled to work on your wedding party instead of just the 2-3 girls that would come to your home/hotel.
  • cso said:
    Hi y'all,

I am struggling figuring out if I should get hair and makeup professionally done! It is so expensive, it would cost over $1,000 for myself and my bridesmaids hair and makeup. I was thinking just having someone do hair and everyone doing their own makeup. Does having you makeup professionally done make that much of a difference? What did y'all do and how did it come out?

Thanks!
    My best friend is a makeup artist and she says you can ALWAYS tell the difference, especially in pictures. Even if someone is very talented at doing their own makeup, it is almost never professional level. I gave my girls the option, if they wanted to get their makeup professionally done it was up to them and they have all chosen to do so but if someone wanted to do their own, I would be fine with that too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I did it the other way and paid to have my BMs make-up done. As for their hair, two chose to have the stylist do it, and paid for it themselves, two chose to do it themselves, and one had another friend do it. I kind of agree that I think make-up professionally done is better than hair, but it's up to you. For the bride, I'd definitely spring for both, you'll have enough to stress out that day, having your hair fall or your make-up fade shouldn't be two of them!

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Just pay to get your own hair and make up done.  Let the girls do their own or give them the option of getting it done at your salon (at their own cost).  I think it's definitely worth it to have hair and makeup professionally done.....it will probably be your most photographed day, you want to look your best!
  • So you're averaging more than $1,000 for you and your maids for hair and makeup- but how much is it for just you for hair and makeup? I'm in the same boat where I'm not sure if I want to do the makeup route because of the expense. The hairstylist I'm looking into costs about $360 for hair and makeup for brides. Is this reasonable?

Thanks!

Kim
  • So you're averaging more than $1,000 for you and your maids for hair and makeup- but how much is it for just you for hair and makeup? I'm in the same boat where I'm not sure if I want to do the makeup route because of the expense. The hairstylist I'm looking into costs about $360 for hair and makeup for brides. Is this reasonable?

Thanks!

Kim
    $360 sounds high for hair/makeup for brides. Just for comparison, my stylist is charging $70 for hair and $70 for makeup, so $140 total (and that's the same cost for bridesmaid, moms, and bride - no upcharge for bride)  

Might be worth shopping around. But it really depends on your area, if you're in a big city or expensive area then wedding hair & makeup costs will be higher. 
    --

• Whereabouts are you? I live in San Francisco. 

• Thanks girls! 

For just the bride out where I am with trial for hair and makeup it is about $300 (and I live in Dallas, TX). 

The reason I was going to pay for the bridesmaids to get their hair/makeup on is because they are all broke. Love them all but if I offered it and they had to pay, not one of them would want either. And one of the girls wears a ton of make up and I have another who never wears any. I think I am leaning towards having them do their own, it is just so much money!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards