Registry and Gift Forum

Zola, Blueprint, Etc.

13»

Re: Zola, Blueprint, Etc.

• Thanks for the tips on how to get to know the culture of a "new" environment, unfortunately, it was not helpful, just like every other response to the OP.  And, sorry, despite your efforts, my feelings aren't hurt a bit; I feel bad for the OP and the handful of other women who came here looking for some answers and who left here with nothing but insults being hurled at their backs.

I would like to thank you for helping to make my point. My opinion doesn't matter. Your opinion doesn't matter. And the OP wasn't even asking for opinions as much as someone with experience as to how these sites work.  And, prepare yourselves for this: etiquette IS a matter of opinion.  On what stone tablet was it handed down from God? As it was not, decorum, manners, and what "should" be done, are all a matter of opinion.  I could list all of the preposterous things that etiquette says should be done in your everyday life, but are not (Do you send a calling card to a friend's house with a butler before you intend to arrive for a visit? I didn't think so.)  I'm not the hippest, coolest, let-everyone-be-who-they-want-to-be millenial, but my goodness, people, times change. Peace out.
  • So I just read this thread because I moved my registry to ZOLA from Bloomie's and BBB a few months ago, and I was interested in learning about everyone's feedback on the site. The comments I see here are very much not in line with the customer they are trying to reach. A lot of judgment from people who seem to have a completely different prerogative. I moved our registry to Zola for the specific reason that this site is relevant for millennial couples who are with-the-times. I find it ridiculous that anyone on this thread claims it is rude to create a honeyfund, experience fund, or other cash fund when you are being completely transparent about what you intend to use the funds for. It is not a flat out request or demand for money. I  feel it is a thoughtful way to make the gifting process more convenient for guests. And yes, you pay a bit in fees for that convenience-- but who hasn't paid for convenience... its costs to save time and headaches. 

First off, the whole idea behind Zola's fun gifting is that it is seamless. When attending a wedding, I cannot count how many times I have had to run to an ATM on the way to a wedding (which I was already running 10 min late for) because, well, we are BUSY people nowadays and maybe we don't plan ahead enough. But such is life. And most young people like to handle things in the quickest, securest and most efficient way possible. Why do you think people (millenials specifically) barely ever carry cash and checkbooks around?! Because it is not a conventient form of payment anymore-- there are far better alternatives! I think that a friend seeking a specific type of gift, whether it be for their future home or honeymoon or other couple-related experience, deciding to place it on their online registry is brilliant. I have personally contributed to two honey-funds already and I never felt it was one bit rude for them to make that option available to me. I know that I can always elect to bring cash to the wedding or a check, but they provided me another more modern option for providing them that gift. I never felt like they were ASKING me for money. I find the whole idea is that is an option for paying the couple the gift you plan to provide. It's a means of delivery more than a request for payment.

What is more rude? telling your guests what kind of things you will spend your appreciated wedding $ on or adding registry items that are priced out of everyone's budget?

Another + for me  was that Zola provides an option to turn on group-gifting which solved the problem for those high-ticket kitchen sets, bedding collections, luggage, and other pricy items that are priced too high for many individual guests.

Why is everyone all up in a tizzy over it? I am happy that a modern site like Zola exists for an NYC couple like us, who hate checks and managing things the old fashioned way (hand written lists, envelopes of cash, dozens of checks to deposit). I look forward to making gifting a little bit easier for our guests

• A little late to this thread but maybe this could help someone in the future. 
    http://www.womangettingmarried.com/best-online-wedding-registry/
  • A little late to this thread but maybe this could help someone in the future. 
    http://www.womangettingmarried.com/best-online-wedding-registry/

Can we close this thread? @KnotRiley
  • This board doesn't have a dedicated mod, so I'm going to close up this zombie.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards