Chit Chat
Options

Nervous 4 the big day

I get married March 7, 2015. ive done this entire wedding on my own. Im begining to get anxiety attacks about something going wrong. i worry over it all.
Whats a good way to calm down ?
What tips do you have for me to do before the wedding? (skin care, therapy, ect..) 
Any advice is welcome!! 

Re: Nervous 4 the big day

• Options
    I get married March 7, 2015. ive done this entire wedding on my own. Im begining to get anxiety attacks about something going wrong. i worry over it all.
    What tips do you have for me to do before the wedding? (skin care, therapy, ect..) 
    Any advice is welcome!! 

First thing you should do is stop worry about something going wrong.  If at the end of the day you are married to your FI, then the day went well! 

If you are having anxiety attacks about the wedding, then enlist your FI's help to help you finish any plans for the wedding.  Take deep breaths.  Also have "wedding-free" nights or weekends.  Don't talk about the wedding at all, so you can keep your mind off things.

In the long run, you are just planning a one day party.  The marriage should be the larger focus.

• Options
    Take a xanax. Nothing about planning a wedding should cause you to consider therapy. You are either the word's biggest drama llama, or something catostrophic happened during the course of your planing. Like a tornado came through, ripped up your venue, and deposited dead sea creatures and beer cans in it's place. Or something.
  • Options
    I have anxiety and I can't really calm myself down just by "relaxing". If you're truly panicking it would be a good idea to see a doctor or therapist
  • Options
    Any advice is welcome!! 
    First, stuff probably will go wrong, but who cares? As long as you, your FI, and the officiant all show up, the rest is just extra. Keep in mind what is REALLY the most important part of the day (marrying your FI!) and remember that as long as that happens, it's been a success. 

There are always ways to fix things or improvise, or just forget it. For example, if the florist brings the wrong flowers? Who cares? If the DJ doesn't show up? Plug in an iPod. Sometimes little mistakes or whatever are what make for the best memories. Don't drive yourself crazy worrying about that stuff. It will all be fine! 

For skin care, drink lots of water, try to get enough sleep, try to eat healthy, avoid excess sugar, stay out of the sun, and moisturize! 
  • Options
    Things happen, and there's a chance something will go wrong. What can you do about it though? Worrying about it won't change anything. 

Deep breaths and just try to remain calm as best you can. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Lagavulin usually takes care of it for me.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Vodka.
  • Options
    Do some jumping jacks... run around... burn off the excess energy. 4-7-8 breathing. (four second inhale, seven second hold, 8 second exhale.) Do something with your hands. Watch calming youtube videos. 

Or drink/ xanax. but not together. 
  • Options
    Something will go wrong- big or small and you can't let that ruin the day.

My flowers got delivered to the wrong place and we were just about to get in the limo when they showed up so I didn't get any pre pictures with flowers. Then when they finally showed up they were NOT what I asked for/ordered. I remember feeling bummed for a millisecond that it wasn't what I envisioned... then let it go and went and got married!

There were other small things and some drama but I did not care. I married H and had a blast at the party. As time goes on I either am forgetting what went wrong or at the point where we can laugh!

Focus on the marriage and just enjoy the party! Being stressed will accomplish nothing!

Congrats and have a blast!!

Anniversary
  • Options
    definitely ask for help from FI or anyone that has offered to help (while its not an obligation, I bet if you have a good friend/bridesmaid/MOH if you express needing help I'm sure someone would jump at the chance--just don't demand it).

Give yourself wedding planning breaks.  Go on a date with your FI and do not talk about the wedding. 
    Take a bath
    Get a message or mani/pedi
    Have a glass of wine/cocktail (or 5)
    Get some rest!

It should be fun; if you are making it stressful you are over thinking it
    reality is something may go wrong--that is OK!  Embrace it.  Go with the flow-- end of the day you will be married and that is what matters. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    Things are going to go wrong. Accept that and learn to be ok with it. So many things went wrong the day of my wedding. Shit, my cake even fell. But if still was my favorite day ever.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Start telling yourself that something is going to go wrong. Prepare yourself for it and expect it to happen. Then, when something does go wrong, you can say "oh ok, there it is" and move on. 

Your wedding is the joining of two people who love each other and the reception is a celebration of your marriage. Not a giant production that has to be flawless. 

At the end of the day, you will be married to the love of your life and probably not even notice or care if nothing goes as planned! 

ETA clarification
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    You have to come to terms with the fact that something will go wrong.  It might be a big deal, or something small, but something is likely to happen.  Just roll with it.  You'll end up married at the end of the day!  If you keep the mindset that your day must be perfect or the world will end, you'll have a meltdown when something does happen and ruin the day for yourself. 

I planned for a lot of things to go wrong, I made up an emergency kit with items we might need (sewing kit, tide stain stick, etc) and I didn't need a single thing.  The details that went wrong were out of my control.

Enlist help from your FI if you are overwhelmed with planning.  If you are actually having anxiety attacks from this, I'd seriously recommend you go see a doctor about that.  

Edit: Assuming you haven't already been to someone about that.  If anxiety attacks aren't the norm for you, you should talk to someone about that.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I was worried about uninvited guests crashing and making a scene. Before the wedding, my mouth was filled with sores from the stress. I talked to my H and he told me if anyone had a desire to barge in in our wedding, they wouldn't stay long. After that, I let it all go I was 30 minutes late to the wedding because hair dresser was taking forever! I ripped my wedding dress. Among some other things that I don't even remember now. Your day won't be perfect, but once you accept that, you will no doubt, have a blast... no matter what happens. And your recollection of the event will just be the what you want to remember of the day... And your memories will be perfect
  • Options
    You know what went "wrong" at my wedding? I kissed my husband too early in front of everyone. Like, there was a long awkward pause from our pastor and I guess I got over-excited and went in for it. H still tells me "you totally ruined our wedding!" Oh well, I got an extra kiss. Sue me.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Try not to worry too much!  I echo what a few other people said...at the end of the day, it's just one day, one big party, and the important thing is your marriage in the long run.  On that note, I find that exercise really helps relax me in stressful times!
  • Options

Yep, things will go wrong.  Relax and roll with it.  On your wedding day, you will barely notice the imperfections and they won't really matter. As long as you end up married, it went well.

At my wedding, the DJ started playing my father-daughter dance song, instead of our first dance song.  Not really the sentiment I want to share with my husband for our first dance.  He played several songs from our do not play list. We laughed it off and didn't let it get to us. Our wedding cake was totally the wrong design.  It was supposed to have a quilt type pattern, but they just did some swirly piping on it. But, it still tasted great. It rained on our wedding day so we couldn't do any outdoor photos. But, we got dressed up again a couple days later and did an awesome outdoor photo shoot (with better scenery). Yes, things will go wrong.  As long as you don't freak out over it, your wedding day will be awesome.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards