Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invite wording

My fiancé and I are paying for 85% of the wedding. My mom is helping a little and my father probably not much at all. How would I word it so it looks like we are hosting but still include them on the invite? My parents are divorced do I even need to put my dad if he's not helping at all? I guess I thought it was kind of traditional to have the brides dad on it but not really sure

Re: Invite wording

• Options
    The host line is for whoever is HOSTING. Not necessarily to designate who is PAYING. Is your mom going to be greeting guests, thanking them for coming, available to answer questions, etc.? Or is she just footing some of the bill? If she's not really hosting, then you and your FH are the official hosts. 

"The honour of your presence/The pleasure of your company
    is requested at the marriage of
    Bride's Name
    and
    Groom's Name
    Saturday, the thirteenth of June
    two thousand fifteen
    at half after four o'clock

Reception to follow"

If the reception is in a different location than the ceremony, ditch that last line and provide an info insert.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    The host line is for whoever is HOSTING. Not necessarily to designate who is PAYING. Is your mom going to be greeting guests, thanking them for coming, available to answer questions, etc.? Or is she just footing some of the bill? If she's not really hosting, then you and your FH are the official hosts. 

"The honour of your presence/The pleasure of your company
    is requested at the marriage of
    Bride's Name
    and
    Groom's Name
    Saturday, the thirteenth of June
    two thousand fifteen
    at half after four o'clock

Reception to follow"

If the reception is in a different location than the ceremony, ditch that last line and provide an info insert.

Ok thank you I thought hosting meant who is paying so it just means who is really helping out I guess? So if my mom is helping host I could just put all of our names?
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    My fiancé and I are paying for 85% of the wedding. My mom is helping a little and my father probably not much at all. How would I word it so it looks like we are hosting but still include them on the invite? My parents are divorced do I even need to put my dad if he's not helping at all? I guess I thought it was kind of traditional to have the brides dad on it but not really sure
    You don't.  The invitation is not a family tree.  Your parents should only be on your invitation if they are hosting your wedding.  When the bridal couple is hosting their own wedding, they never directly invite guests.  It is worded like this:

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Day, date
    time o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

This format does not specify who is hosting.  On the other hand, if you decide that your mother is hosting:

Ms. Mary Smith
    requests the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of her daughter
    Bride's first middle
    to
    Mr. Groom's Full Name
    (etc.)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

You don't.  The invitation is not a family tree.  Your parents should only be on your invitation if they are hosting your wedding.  When the bridal couple is hosting their own wedding, they never directly invite guests.  It is worded like this:

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Day, date
    time o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

This format does not specify who is hosting.  On the other hand, if you decide that your mother is hosting:

Ms. Mary Smith
    requests the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of her daughter
    Bride's first middle
    to
    Mr. Groom's Full Name
    (etc.)
    CMGragain to the bolded, what is the reason behind this? Genuine curiosity! That's a piece of etiquette I don't think I've ever seen mentioned and I am always interested in the "why" behind everything. . 
  • Options
    The rule is that one never officially hosts a party in one's own honor. It applies not just to weddings but to birthdays, showers, and other kinds of celebrations as well.

It is partly due to the gift-giving element: one does not politely solicit gifts for oneself. It is also considered egotistical.

So when one in fact is both host and honoree, the host is for invitational purposes invisible.
  • Options
    Ahh I gotcha. I knew that rule of thumb applied to showers, bachelorettes, and birthdays, didn't realize it included weddings too. 

So is it inappropriate then to have an invitation worded:

Together with their families Bride and Groom request the pleasure of your company as they unite in marriage

This was the wording we were considering...but we may need to rethink that now! 
  • Options
    Ahh I gotcha. I knew that rule of thumb applied to showers, bachelorettes, and birthdays, didn't realize it included weddings too. 

So is it inappropriate then to have an invitation worded:

Together with their families Bride and Groom request the pleasure of your company as they unite in marriage

This was the wording we were considering...but we may need to rethink that now! 
    No, since the parents are also listed as hosts, this is acceptable, however, it is NOT traditional.  It is usually used for complicated families with multiple divorces and remarriages.

Together with their parents (or families)
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    request the pleasure of your company
    as they are united in marriage
    (etc.)

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards