Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

SYTTD Bridesmaid edition

Anyone else watch this? They have reruns on right now. The brides are. Bridezillas about the dresses and the BM duties and the BMs are hateful. Th staff sides with the brides and sees nothing wrong with any of it. Ugh this is hard to watch. And the current episode said the budget was $500 for a dress! And she found one over budget $600 something and said oh well they can go over. Wtf. So many etiquette issues and heck just regular semi-decent human being issues!

Re: SYTTD Bridesmaid edition

• Options
    I watched that a couple of years ago and gave up. If the bride was nice, the BMs were total bitches. If the BMs were nice, the brides were 'zillas. It was just awful.

At least with the original SYTTD, some of the brides and entourages are just normal, whatever groups that end up finding a dress with a few hiccups but nothing big. There are some episodes with drama, but it's not every group in every episode. I like the variety.
  • Options
    I gave up on SYTTD. The percentage of heartless moms who refuse to tell their daughters they look beautiful in their dress or argue with the selection seems off kilter to me.They must pick the worst of the worst to be on that show.

• Options
    haha, I was just watching the same marathon and thinking the same thing!!!

They're really, really bad on the BM edition. And the staff is just so mean. There was one on tonight where a BM ended up in tears because she really couldn't afford the dress the bride had chosen. Way to put that on national TV, guys. And make her cry. Great friends.
  • Options

Getting married made me jaded I think. I now roll my eyes at the sobbing brides or the bridezillas, and think the vast majority of brides pick completely unflattering and vastly overpriced gowns.

• Options
    rcher912 said:

They're really, really bad on the BM edition. And the staff is just so mean. There was one on tonight where a BM ended up in tears because she really couldn't afford the dress the bride had chosen. Way to put that on national TV, guys. And make her cry. Great friends.

That one annoyed me bc I'm thinking if you can't buy a dress, and especially not at an expensive store, then that convo should have been had before agreeing to be on the show! Let alone be in the bridal party
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    rcher912 said:

That one annoyed me bc I'm thinking if you can't buy a dress, and especially not at an expensive store, then that convo should have been had before agreeing to be on the show! Let alone be in the bridal party
    And there's some truth to that, but ultimately that's on the bride, not the BM.
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    rcher912 said:

So you're saying that if a bride is selecting her bridal party, she should only ask those women who can afford the fancy dress? You pick your dress based on what your bridesmaids can afford, you don't pick your bridesmaids based on what dress they can afford.
  • Options
    redoryx said:

kvruns said:

rcher912 said:

So you're saying that if a bride is selecting her bridal party, she should only ask those women who can afford the fancy dress? You pick your dress based on what your bridesmaids can afford, you don't pick your bridesmaids based on what dress they can afford.

Pick a dress your BMs can afford is what I meant I think my last line made it sound different than intended as I reread it now. So the convo about budget and what they can afford should have happened before they did the show. I'm guessing that store is more expensive than a David's Bridal so if I have a BM on a tight budget I'm not going to that store let alone appearing on TV where it then broadcasts that she can't afford it. Or maybe the bride could have already agreed to cover hers from the get go - just don't let it out on TV that would be hurtful to that bridesmaid.

Along those lines another episode showed fittings where the dress and shoes were $1,200 each! She told the BMs if they couldn't afford to spend that much they could be a guest. Yikes
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    kvruns said:
    rcher912 said:

Pick a dress your BMs can afford is what I meant I think my last line made it sound different than intended as I reread it now. So the convo about budget and what they can afford should have happened before they did the show. I'm guessing that store is more expensive than a David's Bridal so if I have a BM on a tight budget I'm not going to that store let alone appearing on TV where it then broadcasts that she can't afford it. Or maybe the bride could have already agreed to cover hers from the get go - just don't let it out on TV that would be hurtful to that bridesmaid. Along those lines another episode showed fittings where the dress and shoes were $1,200 each! She told the BMs if they couldn't afford to spend that much they could be a guest. Yikes
    "Great. I will be a guest." would be my instant reply to that.
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    kvruns said:
    rcher912 said:

Pick a dress your BMs can afford is what I meant I think my last line made it sound different than intended as I reread it now. So the convo about budget and what they can afford should have happened before they did the show. I'm guessing that store is more expensive than a David's Bridal so if I have a BM on a tight budget I'm not going to that store let alone appearing on TV where it then broadcasts that she can't afford it. Or maybe the bride could have already agreed to cover hers from the get go - just don't let it out on TV that would be hurtful to that bridesmaid. Along those lines another episode showed fittings where the dress and shoes were $1,200 each! She told the BMs if they couldn't afford to spend that much they could be a guest. Yikes
    "Great. I will be a guest." would be my instant reply to that.
    Mine would be "hahahahahah nope."
  • Options
    And we wonder why so many brides feel entitled with high expectations...
  • Options
    there was one episode and the bridezilla wanted her bm to spend over 500 on the dress or some ridiculous amount it was well over 300. all the brides said are you kidding me she said "no if you cant afford the dress you out the wedding its my wedding" .needless to say no one could agree on a dress with bridezilla and a few of the affordable dresses she knocked down 

then there was the bride who wanted all her maids in this one particular dress but her sister hated it and was like i refuse to wear it bride was like its my wedding my day 
  • Options
    I always feel so awful for people on the Bridesmaids edition.
    I have had several group bridesmaid dress shopping trips and let me just say, I'm so glad the non-matchy-matchy trend has taken off and is becoming more the norm. It sucks when you don't feel good in a dress and buying a dress you don't feel good in also sucks. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards