Budget Weddings Forum

Alternative to Wedding Planner??

I'm in the early stages of planning my wedding and I really feel like I will need a day-of wedding planner to ensure the vendors set-up the ceremony and reception properly and for little things, like telling me when it's my turn to walk down the aisle :-)  For those of you who did not use a wedding planner/coordinator, how were these day-of wedding tasks handled? Who handled them?  Unfortunately our wedding guest list is reduced to family-only and there's not a family member who can handle this job.  I would like to save money on paying a coordinator, but wanted to get others thoughts on how best to handle the wedding day duties of dealing with vendors and organizing the order of service, reception, etc.  Thanks!

Re: Alternative to Wedding Planner??

• Honestly?  I trusted people to do their jobs.  We decorated our hall the day before, so there was already a table set up for the buffet, and our caterer had worked in that hall before, so they knew where everything was and was supposed to go.  The hall manager was the bartender, and she was there to let the DJ in to set up when he arrived.  If you hire vendors who have worked your venue before, they should already know the way things are supposed to be.  And just make sure you touch base with them in the days before so that you can iron out any wrinkles & questions that you or they may have.

As for the processional - we were using a specific song that I had timed out previously, so I knew when everyone was supposed to be walking and gave the cues myself.  If you're planning on just using instrumental music, though, the people in the processional just need to know to start walking when the person ahead of them is at a specific point in the aisle.  And for you, maybe just get the usher to give you a nod when it's your turn?  Your officiant will help you with the order of the service, and if you have an MC for the reception, they'll help move things smoothly there.  If you don't have an MC, the DJ will often take care of it.  Weddings aren't actually as stressful as people like to make them seem.  Just relax :)  It'll be fine!

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Thanks! you're right people do make it more complicated than it should be.  I think I've allowed other people's anxiety affect me. Thanks so much for your insight!! This was super helpful!
  • I agree with the PP.

We were originally going to set up the venue ourselves the night before the wedding, but were notified two days before that they had received a last-minute booking for that night and we wouldn't be able to set up until the morning of the wedding. I panicked! I was doing my own hair and makeup and simply didn't see how it would all fit in the schedule… In the end, I told the event manager at the venue that he would have to set everything up and he agreed.

I share this story with you only to say that even when someone who wasn't expecting to do the set up did it, it turned out perfectly. We met with him to explain how everything was supposed to look and it looked beautiful. We just asked our mothers to have a quick look and make sure it was right while we were doing our first look pictures lol.

So, with that being said, you can trust the vendors to do what they're supposed to do. Talk with them ahead of time so everyone is on the same page.

Coordinating the processional is a bit trickier if you have specific music requests. This is what we did (we were specific about time because we were both coming in the same door so we had to be careful not to "cross paths"): one of the ushers let the groom and GM know when everyone was seated and that they should come out within three minutes. She then let us (bride, BMs, MOB) know that the men were entering the room within those three minutes and that we should be outside the ceremony room in five minutes. At the five minute mark, we (the women) moved to the waiting area just outside the ceremony room (where we could hear the music). After the musicians finished whatever ambiance music they were playing, they started playing the BMs processional song and that was the cue for the BMs to walk down. They each just waited until the other was about halfway before starting. The musicians knew there were four bridesmaids so when they were all at the front, they started playing "my" song. 

Coordinating the processional requires some forethought and a point person, but that person doesn't have to be a day-of coordinator.

• They say if you have an outdoor wedding, you should hire someone, which makes sense, especially if you have to go with a Plan B due to weather. I'm thinking of hiring someone I used to do volunteer work with who does not do weddings for a living. The civic group I belonged to planned large events so I know she knows what goes into planning and having things run smoothly. 

• I am not married yet but I have considered asking my MOH to help me organize everything. My fiance and I will choose the main stuff but I have requested her to help me with confirming that everything is in order. We are on a budget so I have decided to do a DIY wedding using wedding apps to help me plan everything. I am nervous yet I am positive everything will work out
  • levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Knottie72792636 said: I am not married yet but I have considered asking my MOH to help me organize everything. My fiance and I will choose the main stuff but I have requested her to help me with confirming that everything is in order. We are on a budget so I have decided to do a DIY wedding using wedding apps to help me plan everything. I am nervous yet I am positive everything will work out
    --------------------------TK ate the boxes------------------------

Don't do this.  The only people required to plan and pay for the wedding are you and your FI.  If your MOH
    offers you may take her up on it.  But she is not there to work for your wedding.  She is a guest of honor.  MOHs/BMs only responsibilities are to show up on time, in the dress, sober, and in good spirits on the day of the wedding.  If you can't afford the wedding, or don't have the time to do everything yourself, then you need to push the date back. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards