Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

"Take X off your registry"

Hey all,

Quick question! I want to do the right thing, and I've never encountered this before.

FI's mom texted him last night to catch up and during the conversation, she informed him that she bought me a gift off of our registry and asked him to tell me to take it off because she bought it somewhere other than where we registered for it.

She wants to give it to me at the shower. Obviously, this was incredibly generous of her! It seems like I shouldn't send a thank you card until after the shower, but how should I proceed for now? Do I remove it from the registry and just send her a quick message to thank her? What's the protocol here?

Thanks!

Re: "Take X off your registry"

• Options
    I wouldn't do anything until you receive the gift and then send the thank you as usual.
  • Options
    mlg78 said:
    I wouldn't do anything until you receive the gift and then send the thank you as usual.
    Thanks for the input. I considered this. The only awkward part is that she outright told him to relay the info to me. Is it rude not to acknowledge her very sweet gesture?

• Options
    mlg78 said:
    Thanks for the input. I considered this. The only awkward part is that she outright told him to relay the info to me. Is it rude not to acknowledge her very sweet gesture?

When is your shower?
  • Options
    I would remove it off the registry so you don't get a duplicate, and then send a thank-you after the shower. 

This sort of thing happened to me, too - my sister texted me and said "Are you attached to the blender you have on your registry? If not, I want to get you the one I have because it's awesome." I removed the blender off my registry so she can do her thing. 
    --

• Options
    Delete it now, send the thank you later. You never send a thank you on a message that you'll be receiving a gift, only after you've actually gotten it.

• Options
    Delete it from the registry, unless you could use more than one. Then send a TY when you get the gift.
    Thanks! This is sort of what I was thinking, too. 

mlg78 said:
    mlg78 said:

When is your shower?
    I'm not totally sure. I have a feeling that my BMs are planning it for the end of May, based on some hints they've given and my school schedule. My mom has alluded to that as well! 

hsgator said:
    I would remove it off the registry so you don't get a duplicate, and then send a thank-you after the shower. 

This sort of thing happened to me, too - my sister texted me and said "Are you attached to the blender you have on your registry? If not, I want to get you the one I have because it's awesome." I removed the blender off my registry so she can do her thing. 
    It's good to know you had the same experience! I have two on the registry in two different sizes. I'll delete the size of the one my FI said she got. Thanks!
  • Options
    Delete it now, send the thank you later. You never send a thank you on a message that you'll be receiving a gift, only after you've actually gotten it.
    Thanks! I knew that much about TY notes, but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to text her or something. I've never had someone tell me in advance that they've purchased a gift! It was so sweet of her and I wanted to make sure I responded in the most gracious way possible.

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to delete the gift and I'll send her a very nice TY card after the shower :)
  • Options
    Some registries you can mark it as purchased or notify the store to mark it as purchased. But might be easier just to remove it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I did this for my sister, actually -- our mom let her know she had bought something but was able to get it somewhere else for cheaper. My sister didn't want to see what had already been purchased so it would be a surprise so I had to go into her registry and delete it. LOL 

She sent a thank you after the shower. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards