Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Tattoo dilemma

Hello brides! 

I have a quick question. I have a tattoo on the back of my shoulder that I got in memory of both of my grandmothers. I love the tattoo and do not regret it at all. I thought for sure I wasn't going to end up with a strapless dress (I hate my arms and my chest is bigger than I like to think) and could just use the sleeves to cover it, but to my surprise, I did end up with strapless! So now, I'm wanting to cover up the tattoo for the wedding. 

Do any of you have any suggestions as to what kind of makeup or tattoo coverup I should consider using? The price isn't too much of a problem as long as it works well and does the job. 

Any help would be awesome!

Re: Tattoo dilemma

• Why do you want to cover it up? 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • My parents have asked if there was any way for me to cover it up. It's more so my dad than my mom. He's not keen on tattoos to begin with anyway.
  • If you have any sort of freckling or color variation in your skin, that cover up is going to come through and be obvious like a second nose.

If you don't have freckles or skin color variations, you might be able to find one. Kat Von D makes a great one that sephora sells. I tried it out in store on one that I have on my wrist and it covered pretty well. You could definitely tell there was a covering on it though. But I bet with some blending with concealer and powder, it would look better.

I understand the coverage though. I have two large tattoos on my back and am using a bolero to cover for the ceremony. But then it's coming off for the reception. Between the lace bolero and veil, you can't see the tattoos. Perhaps you can find something similar?

• Dermablend is made for tattoo cover-up, but I agree with PP that depending on the size and color it will probably be noticeable. If you are hiring a professional make-up artist maybe they will be able to help it look more natural?
  • Like others have said, depending on the size and color it's going to look far more obvious that you covered it up. At least that's been my experience when I've been asked to cover while in weddings. A professional make-up artist might be the way to go or get a bolero 
  • I know some makeup artist's offer airbrush concealer to cover tattoos- A friend of mine was in a wedding where the bride did this. I would also look into Kat von D's tattoo concealer.

There's also this-

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I covered up a tattoo on my shoulder for my first wedding at my mother's request. And frankly, I'm sorry I did. But I was 24 and I let her manipulate me into doing a lot of things. Anyway, I had a professional makeup artist cover my tattoo. And all of the makeup ended up coming off on my veil! The MUA promised it wouldn't but it did anyway. I ended up wiping all of the makeup off right after the ceremony. So if you do cover up your tattoo, be aware of that. 
  • One of my girlfriends wanted to cover her tat that was right between her shoulder blades for her wedding.  We used a combination of green concealer stick (covergirl from the drugstore) and stage pancake makeup from Sephora. The makeup guy at Sephora was great and showed us various samples to try in the store.  Then we bought a little and they were nice enough to give us a take home sample of one of the items.  We also purchased a spray that "set" the makeup so it wouldn't rub off.  It worked great.  Good Luck!  
  • To be honest, I think it's silly to cover tattoos. Why get them if you want them hidden? (Aside from asshole buisnesses).
  • Just a comment on covering them up.. I was a gymnast in college and although my leo covered them for competitions my coaches in my second year decided I needed to cover them at practice and what a NIGHTMARE.. We tried everything and the minute you start sweating it's a mess (they finally gave up after a nice spot on the floor)! Good luck, but IMO it would probably look better to just leave it, it's a part of you, and not in the way that a pimple is a part of your face.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Id go with a shawl or jacket over the makeup.
  • To be honest, I think it's silly to cover tattoos. Why get them if you want them hidden? (Aside from asshole buisnesses).

I'm covering mine just because I know it'll please my mom and my grandma. And it's only during the ceremony. I can spend two hours with them covered if it'll make them happy. Also some pictures, they'll be covered. Just the ones on my back though. I'm not covering my wrists though.

• edited June 2015
  • I personally would not cover it up with makeup. Given the location, there is a huge risk that it will smear off anyone who embraces you. Grandma goes in for a huge, bam, makeup on your veil and her sleeve, and a gooey smear of skin in your pictures. Your spouse goes in to wrap themselves around you, and now their whole front is smeared with makeup. And if you get warm and sweat it will run and stain your dress. No to all of that.

I think if you want to do this for your parents, put a cover-up on during the ceremony, but I wouldn't cover my tattoos up. If I had a quarter for every time my dad asked me not to look a certain way, I wouldn't have student loan debt.

All of this.

• I am in the same boat, and to be clear, some people get tattoos, and then get married 14 years later and feel differently about them. I am choosing to try and cover one of mine, not because I am being pressured, because I want to.

My plan is to use Ben Nye coverup and Final Seal, which is Theater make up. It worked in every sweaty undergrad performance I worked on in college, and Final Seal means it wont budge. I am going to  do a trial of this method soon, and am happy to let you know how it goes before you spend the money.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards