Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

DoC or no DoC??

Of all of you that have been wed already, did you have a Day of Coordinator or not, and how did it turn out?

What would you recommend from your experiences?

Thanks a bunch, in advance.

Re: DoC or no DoC??

• Options
    had one, loved it, worth every penny!
  • Options
    I struggled with whether to hire a day of coordinator (mainly because it seemed like so much to spend, and it wasn't a necessity per se).  I ended up hiring one, and it literally was the best money I spent for the wedding.  I was totally able to enjoy the entire day!!!!!!!!  She took care of all of the set up, kept us on schedule, dealt with any last minute fires, etc.  I had NO worries that day.  I would say definitely hire one! 
  • Options
    adfoster77adfoster77 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_doc-or-no-doc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:1e6421d3-60d1-40c4-b7e5-78af8bbcbc1fPost:fd89a270-1b85-4e83-bbf5-4d8f5a99e9d3">Re: DoC or no DoC??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I struggled with whether to hire a day of coordinator (mainly because it seemed like so much to spend, and it wasn't a necessity per se).  I ended up hiring one, and it literally was the best money I spent for the wedding.  I was totally able to enjoy the entire day!!!!!!!!  She took care of all of the set up, kept us on schedule, dealt with any last minute fires, etc.  I had NO worries that day.  I would say definitely hire one! 
    Posted by eeforbes[/QUOTE]

That's what my original thought was as well. AND, I've seen so many of my close friends have beautiful weddings without a DoC.

I'm a big-time over-stresser, so I'm thinking that it would give me tremendous peace of mind.

Thanksfor replying,  both of you :)
  • Options
    I didn't have a DoC and my day went off without a hitch, but both my church and my venue had coordinators.  Church coordinator took care of meeting the florist that morning, getting everyone lined up for the procession, signaling the organist etc.  The venue coordinator took care of all the setting up, centerpieces, greeting my other vendors and getting them in place, etc.  I think the only problem that wouldn't have been taken care of by those two ladies was if a vendor just straight up didn't show or something, but then what can anyone really do anyway?

For me, it wasn't worth the cost since I already had people taking care of those details.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_doc-or-no-doc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:1e6421d3-60d1-40c4-b7e5-78af8bbcbc1fPost:fd89a270-1b85-4e83-bbf5-4d8f5a99e9d3">Re: DoC or no DoC??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I struggled with whether to hire a day of coordinator (mainly because it seemed like so much to spend, and it wasn't a necessity per se).  I ended up hiring one, and it literally was the best money I spent for the wedding.  I was totally able to enjoy the entire day!!!!!!!!  She took care of all of the set up, kept us on schedule, dealt with any last minute fires, etc.  I had NO worries that day.  I would say definitely hire one! 
    Posted by eeforbes[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree.  I had one, and it was seriously worth it!  I actually only got one after reading TK for awhile and seeing brides rave about them and other brides say they wish they had one.  I'd go for it if you can afford it!</div>
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I loved our DOC. Our venue was bare-bones and she pulled everything together. If your venue supplies an event coordinator or something, then I might consider skipping, but I'm glad we had one. 

Also, I was recently in a wedding with no DOC, and no venue coordinator, and it was a disaster. No one held the b&g accountable to their timeline and everything took way too long. 
  • Options
    We didn't really have one. We did have an amazing floral/decor person and company who almost acted like a DoC in a way, at least as far as organizing the decor, transporting it from ceremony to reception and cleaning up. At the Church, we had their "event coordinator" and I use that term loosely, who wasn't a HUGE help, but did get us lined up in time, tell each BM when to walk down the aisle, etc.

So no we didn't really have one DoC and I didn't miss them. We coordinated with each vendor ahead of time, had good timelines, and everything went smoothly.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I didn't have one, but I have friends who have done event planning, and one that used to be a DOC, so they helped me out tremendously on the day of my wedding.  Everything went off without a hitch, except that the DOC at the venue (purchasing her services was optional, so I declined) side-eyed me the whole day because I didn't buy her services (incidentally, the venue required her to be there anyways, so she was helping with little things here and there). 

That being said, if I didn't have such amazing friends who offered to be my day of coordinators, I would have hired one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm with Kate.  If your venue has a coordinator they will be able to help keep things going smoothly.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    We had a DoC and it was worth every penny. I originally didn't because I had it all under control & didn't need help planning. The issue came with setting up the day of. My florist was also a friend & guest, so she couldn't set up the centerpieces in the 1h window we were allowed at the reception hall. I was not about to ask a friend or family member to do what a professional is paid to do, so I did a lot of research on here & found an incredibly reasonably priced DoC. She was 1/3 the cost of others I saw. 

It ended up being one of the best decisions I ever made. Not only did she set up my rather elaborate decor, she also ran the show that day & at the rehearsal, which was really important to me. We had a lot of non-English speakers, so it was rough. If you don't need to do a rehearsal and you have a venue coordinator that can set up your tables & coordinate vendors, then you don't need it. We, on the other hand, didn't have that situation. She was a life saver & a total sanity saver. 
  • Options
    We didn't hire one but we had 2 friends volunteer to oversee the day and they couldn't have done a better job.
  • Options
    We didn't hire one but my step mother used to be an event planner so her and my Mom basically took on the role of helping us plan and being our DoC. Couldn't have done it without them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards