Snarky Brides
Options

Vague Vendors

So my number 2 rule about this whole wedding is making sure we stay on budget as much as possible (my number 1 rule is making sure my FI is happy and feels included). With that in mind I find it extremely frustrating when I contact a potential vendor with all of my wedding details, place, date, time etc. asking for specifics on pricing and the e-mail I receive back says something like this "I would love to set up a meeting to discuss your wedding details and give you a personalized quote". I just sent you ALL of the details, and if you needed anything additional you could asked questions in your reply e-mail. I refuse to meet any vendor unless I at least know their price range or starting price to know if its within budget, otherwise its a waste of everyone's time. I get one of these responses from 1 out of 3 vendors I contact and have gotten to the point that I automatically delete their e-mail out of pure irritation. I don't understand why vendors don't realize how off putting this is. Does anyone else feel like this?

Re: Vague Vendors

• Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    They want to pitch a sale to you and try to force you out of their budget in person. I ended up  being honest and telling them that I wanted to know if it was worth both our time yadda yadda. If they still can't give you prices or more info, than tell them you will find someone else. It worked wonderfully for me, but I ended up picking vendors who have amazing customer service.

I would recommend not picking vendors who are difficult in any way, because if this is how they act before you give them your money can you imagine what they will be like after the contract is signed? 

I know that you can't always do that, especially on a tight budget. That's why I recommend playing the "Oh I have more money than I actually do let me take my business somewhere else" game. 

Talking to venues and vendors was legit the worse wedding related experience I have had as of yet. Between the shitty attitude of most of the vendors and never being able to please my shitty FMIL, I would break down into tears and threaten to elope and finally my mom found my place for me. Ha. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    When I was booking all of my vendors the majority of them responded like this.  I of course did not want to waste my time and simply said if you are not able to give me a quote through email then I will have to move on as I have to keep to a budget.  This works almost all the time and the vendors that took the time to give me a quote got my business.  Good vendors should already have pricing information for their goods and services.  If they are not upfront and honest about it then I would move on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I feel the same way. I'm just starting now to look at vendors after booking the venue, and some are worse than others. I grabbed a lot of pamphlets and business cards at the open house for my venue and the bridal expo I was at so I can see if I can just look at their website and email them for quotes instead of wasting my weekends visiting 50+ vendors for different things. 

They want to offer you special deals to get you out of your budget. If you have given them all the details, and they still want to meet in person, then tell them that you need a quote first, or else "Thanks for your response, I'll look elsewhere." 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • Options
    I guess I'm lucky we did not have this issue.

Then again I was OOT.  All my emails were clear about that.  After I decided on which vendors to use I pretty much demanded some of them had to meet with me on 'x' date as that was the only day I would be in town.   

Some vendors I never met.     Like the steel pan players.   I heard them play during the ceremony, but I actually never met them as they left while we were doing pictures.  I found them online.  They sent me digital recording of their performance with a price list.  They sent me the contract.   I sent them a deposit.  I can't remember how they got paid, but they did get paid somehow.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    It's already pretty ridiculous when some vendors don't have prices listed on their sites (catering is an exception, of course, but venues or even photographers who have fixed rates but still make you e-mail for them? Come on.) I agree with PP, if they're giving you the run-around, be firm you need a quote first and move-on if they persist in quibbling, because that's indicative of how they'll do all their business with you.
  • Options
    There are some vendors that I wouldn't expect a quote from through e-mail like caterers and cakes, but I agree that the ones with fixed pricing should give you that information through e-mail. I would cut a little slack for the vendors whose price depends on how many people you have, what you want to serve, etc. That's a lot of information and there are a lot of people who will get an estimate and then expect a vendor to stick to that number no matter what. 
  • Options
    There are some vendors that I wouldn't expect a quote from through e-mail like caterers and cakes, but I agree that the ones with fixed pricing should give you that information through e-mail. I would cut a little slack for the vendors whose price depends on how many people you have, what you want to serve, etc. That's a lot of information and there are a lot of people who will get an estimate and then expect a vendor to stick to that number no matter what. 

I would add florist to that list too - my floral budget depended so much on what types of flowers I liked, so it helped a lot to see flowers in person and mock up my bouquet to give the florist a better idea of what her costs would even be.

But a lot of places (DJs are one that comes to mind) really just do it to try to pressure you/put you on the spot to sign a contract right away.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Right now I am looking into hair and make-up. I already went through this when I booked venue, DJ and photography. I can completely understand cake, catering and potentially flowers (I am doing my own flowers so that actually saves me from having to do this with a florist) but with hair and make-up I feel like being given information on where we are getting ready, what time, how many people, what services are necessary should be plenty of information to provide me with a basic quote.

@lyndausvi your profile puppy picture is probably one of the freakin cutest things I have ever seen. I automatically almost lost all of my annoyance. Maybe I should fill my wedding with puppies for zen purposes.
  • Options
    This drives me nuts as well, especially when I already mention in my initial email or phone call that I am OOT, and they still ask to set up a meeting. The vendors that I have booked already have all been very understanding and accommodating with phone/email contact only and will set up a time to meet with us when we are back in the area, but there were some that I ruled out after less than pleasant experiences like this. I have very little free time with my job sometimes, and I don't have patience for anyone that wastes it or doesn't take the time to read or listen to my inquiries.  

• Options
    I almost lost my mind when looking for vendors every time they would make me e-mail and then reply with a PDF that had their fixed prices, which could have easily been posted on their website.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Not the same issue but I just did a cake tasting this weekend. I sent an email to a baker that was pretty much this.

My name is Feeleytobe, my fiance Mr. Man Feeley and I would like to set up a tasting with you. Our wedding will be on Sunday, 10/11/15 around brunch (exact time TBD) at x location in y town.

We are inviting 110 guests and our max budget is $4.50/slice.

Do you have any appointments available on x, y, or z date?

Best,
    FeeleytoBe

At the meeting, this bitch didn't remember fiance's last name; asked when it was, where it was, number of guests, and if we had a price point.

Yes, damn it and I emailed that to you 5 days ago.

I was already 50% done with her before we got there because she asked me to come earlier or later after already confirming me because she double booked tastings. What happened at the meeting was the final reason to say no.

ETF: typos
  • Options
    I noticed a lot of the time when I got the "let's set up an appointment" email it was automated. It usually took a bit before I could hear back from an actual human being about specific questions I had.

I have found that if you have specific questions or concerns (especially price-wise) it's often better to call. That way you're directed to a person who has the authority to give you real numbers. A lot of the time, the emails to set up meetings are set up by interns or similar employees who technically can't give you the quote you need. If at that point you still can't get the information you're asking for then it's pretty obvious that venue isn't worth your time.
  • Options

I almost lost my mind when looking for vendors every time they would make me e-mail and then reply with a PDF that had their fixed prices, which could have easily been posted on their website.
    I agree that even though a caterer or baker can't offer an exact quote, they should still be able to offer some specific price points, or show online a good assortment of sample menus, enough to let people estimate a ball park figure, or if they can even afford to play in that ball park. 
    At some point, I think any vendor will try to upsell, which, fine, that's their business, but when I say, no thank you, this is my maximum absolute budget: STOP.
    I hate pushy sales techniques. If anyone makes me feel pushed or pressured, it's over. 

This is the internet age, and people research and shop through the internet, and I really feel that any business owner should know that. If they aren't willing to be upfront about their pricing, I assume I'm being lined up for the hard sell, and I'm finished before it begins. Don't waste my time or your own.

I kind of laugh at the vendors (photographers do this a lot) that say "investments" instead of "prices" on their website. Oh, it's not a cost, it's an investment.  What silly avoidance. You're not my banker. It's not an investment, it's an expensive self indulgence, and tell me what I'll be splurging on. 
  • Options
    The vendor that's doing nearly everything for us (ceremony/cake/photography/etc.) failed to outline payment terms in our contract. 

We're getting hitched in almost 3 months and I have no idea what their payment schedule is like, even though I asked for their payment schedule over a month ago. Do we pay day of, or 90/60/30 days before? Frustrating. 

Please, wedding vendor, how can I give you money? How can I make this easier for you? Take my money. I insist. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This nonsense is one of the reasons I picked the caterer I did--they were not only transparent and up-front, they bent over backwards to make sure that I was taken care of. When I was able to fly in for a tasting, it was A. insanely delicious, and HUGE (I ate like 6 full entrees) and B. the consultant had her shit together. She knew our names, she knew our location, she knew what questions to ask, and she came prepared with photos of options from other weddings at the same venue.

People who can't be bothered to let me know how much things cost (I'm talking ballpark, not specifics) do not get my business.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    edited March 2015

I agree that even though a caterer or baker can't offer an exact quote, they should still be able to offer some specific price points, or show online a good assortment of sample menus, enough to let people estimate a ball park figure, or if they can even afford to play in that ball park. 
    At some point, I think any vendor will try to upsell, which, fine, that's their business, but when I say, no thank you, this is my maximum absolute budget: STOP.
    I hate pushy sales techniques. If anyone makes me feel pushed or pressured, it's over. 

This is the internet age, and people research and shop through the internet, and I really feel that any business owner should know that. If they aren't willing to be upfront about their pricing, I assume I'm being lined up for the hard sell, and I'm finished before it begins. Don't waste my time or your own.

I kind of laugh at the vendors (photographers do this a lot) that say "investments" instead of "prices" on their website. Oh, it's not a cost, it's an investment.  What silly avoidance. You're not my banker. It's not an investment, it's an expensive self indulgence, and tell me what I'll be splurging on. 

------------

The bold is exactly why I picked the photographer I did. He called that section of his website "pricing" and has all of his packages and where they start from plus an explanation of what might affect his final quote. No muss, no fuss, no pretending I'm not paying for a service.
  • Options
    I always call - I work in marketing events and when I fill things out on a site I usually get nowhere. Honestly I feel your pain. We have all vendors picked except our flowers and I aimed to look at 3-4 options each aside from venue which we probably looked at more. I would give a budget range in your emails and try setting up a call first. If you get a good vibe from him/her on the phone give it a shot and if not move on. It saves time and a drive over there :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards