Attire & Accessories Forum

Using sticky tape?

So my dress has a sweetheart neckline and a pretty low back. It originally came with straps, but I had them taken off during alterations because I didn't really care for them.

My alterations are now completely finished, and the dress fits me like a glove - all except for the top part. I don't know if it's because my "girls" just aren't big enough (or perky enough?) but the top part gaps out really bad. It's just very loose all around the neckline. The lady who did my alterations pretty much said there was nothing she could do for it that wouldn't risk making the rest of the top (around my sides/abdomen) too small for me. She suggested getting the silicone falsie cups to help push my girls up and out, which I did, but the dress still gaps pretty bad.

I've heard that you can buy a type of double-sided sticky tape to kind of press your dress into place, but I'm wondering how well this actually works. I mean - let's be honest, I'll probably be getting pretty sweaty and warm with all of the dancing I'll be doing at the reception, and I'm not sure how well tape can really hold up to that kind of moisture, you know what I mean?

Has anyone else had an issue similar to this or had to use this sticky tape for their own dress?

Re: Using sticky tape?

• I would check with a different alterations person.  This problem should be able to be rectified with alterations, so I would get a second opinion.

• Definitely get a second opinion. You don't want to ruin your wedding dress with double stick tape.

• Does your dress have a lot of boning in the bodice?  Sometimes that can be why there are gaps around the breast area.  I would talk to another seamstress to see what they're opinion is on it, but sometimes if thetop of a dress is very structured with a lot of boning, it can be hard to take in the bust area to fit perfectly.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards