Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

name change help!

so i'm working on changing my name and am totally confused! everything i read online is vague.
do i change my name with social security 1st? because from their website, they need alot of documentations and i dont know if that includes a new drivers license...or do i go to the BMV 1st and get a new license?
also did you go into a social security office? they need originals of documents and i dont feel comfortable sending my original birth certificate etc in the mail...
how did you other married ladies go about this?
any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: name change help!

• I went into the SS office.  Do that first. It's the most important.  They only wanted my old SS card and my official marriage license that I got a few weeks after the wedding in the mail. 
    Then change name for your license.  Then do all the others such as the bank. Once you have a license and SS card with your name you can change it anywhere.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_name-change-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:226558ab-8d5c-4ec2-812a-d551e7adc455Post:5ada4d24-d9c4-40e6-b745-00f79dcda63b">Re: name change help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went into the SS office.  Do that first. It's the most important.  They only wanted my old SS card and my official marriage license that I got a few weeks after the wedding in the mail.  Then change name for your license.  Then do all the others such as the bank. Once you have a license and SS card with your name you can change it anywhere.
    Posted by HyperChicaPR[/QUOTE]
    Do this.. once the SS office changes it, everything else can be done.  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Haha, two months later and I am still working on it!

I plan to go to the SS office and change that first. Then drivers license. I think I will mail in my passport to be changed since I don't have any trips coming up soon. After I get the SS card and license I will change my name at work and the bank, etc.
  • I was required to go to social security in person. They were only open during a work day so I had to take a day off.  Then I waited in line two hours OUTSIDE in august in FL because they wouldn't let us in the building.  I finally got inside and it was really really small and waited longer.  You MUST bring your real marriage license with.  They don't accept copies.  Look up your specific state to see what else to bring.  each state is different.  Also, they will not change your driver's license till you have your new social security card that they mail to you.  
  • I did everything else first.  The SS is having issues with accepting my marriage license so I will have to wait until we get one from the states.  But I haven't had a single issue changing everything else before the SSN card.
  • You cannot change your driver's license without changing social security.  I downloaded the form and had it ready to go when I went in the office - they do require you to go in person.  I was told to wait 24 hours until going to DMV, which I did.  It was quick and painless.  My recommendation is to download all forms and have them filled out first.  Of course, the FIRST thing you must do is buy a certified copy of your marriage certificate.
  • I thinik in NY you get one free certified copy of the Marriage License and if you want additional certified copies - you need to pay for them.

Since I have to submit originals to the SS, DMV as well as to the NY  State Attorney Registration Unit (because I am also a lawyer and have to change my name with the licensing folks), I plan to order at least 5 Certified copies so I don't have to deal with any add'l delays.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_name-change-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:226558ab-8d5c-4ec2-812a-d551e7adc455Post:b211359e-f363-4acc-a58b-ed2d1b8f8dab">Re: name change help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You cannot change your driver's license without changing social security.  I downloaded the form and had it ready to go when I went in the office - they do require you to go in person.  I was told to wait 24 hours until going to DMV, which I did.  It was quick and painless.  My recommendation is to download all forms and have them filled out first.  Of course, the FIRST thing you must do is buy a certified copy of your marriage certificate.
    Posted by callisto11[/QUOTE]

Must be your state because I got my drivers license before my SS card with no porblem.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards