Chit Chat

Do you ever think about...

2»

Re: Do you ever think about...

• My best friend, who I was going to move in with when we found a place, called me one day. She found a cute, tiny apartment in the beach town near us. When the landlord took us to see the place I saw a cute guy coming out of his apartment on the other side of the courtyard.

I called dibs, and seven years later I married him.

Anniversary

• Everyone who thinks "if not for xyz circumstance, FI and I would never have met" needs to see the movie "Sliding Doors" starring Gwyneth Paltrow.

Perhaps, if something is meant to be, it will be, fate will make it happen.

• I'm also a firm believe in fate/if it's meant to be, it's meant to be.  

I met DH through Roller Derby (he saw me at a match and a teammate set us up).  I had always wanted to try derby but didn't join until after visiting friend in Ottawa whose GF did derby.  She took me to a practice and I decided to sign up when I got home.  

I was in Ottawa after 5 weeks living in Quebec to learn French.  I had need been to Ottawa so stopped off on the way home.  

I was learning french cos my Principal said I had to teach French even though I barely spoke it/hadn't taken a class since high school.  I went back to Uni to take classes for it and found this live in Quebec program.  

I was the only one in my school who had high school French as a background and therefore was the only one who was 'qualified' to teach it.  

I took French from grade 4-11.  Therefore my decision to take FSL when I was 9 was the reason I met DH.  ;)

• I firmly believe that H and I were meant to be together. 

If mom and I hadn't moved a few months prior, H and I would have gone to elementary school together. 

If H had joined his HS friends at summer camp, he would have met me when we were 17. (Now, all those mutual friends think we're perfect for each other.)

We applied to most of the same colleges, and got into all the same colleges, and had a ton of mutual college friends before we met. 

If he hadn't sat down next to me in poetry class, we would have met another way, and I'm sure we'd be together anyway. It was just plain meant to be. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • "It's a Wonderful Life"

If my Dad hadn't died from pancreatic cancer when I was 15, I wouldn't have moved to Des Moines where I met my future husband a few months later.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • WARNING - this post contains exceptionally nerdy content. Read at your own risk.

FI and I were just discussing something very related to this at the dinner table last night after reading an article on a man named Hugh Everett, a theoretical physicist who coined the "many-worlds interpretation" in the 1950s. In short, this theory, which is based off the laws of quantum mechanics, holds that there are an infinite number of universes, each one derived from the outcome of a set of possible choices at each given point of time. In other words, there is a world for every possible combination of outcomes from many divergent points in space and time. There's a nice Wikipedia article on it here.

Everything that happens is in part a consequence of the preceding series of events. There is no such thing as destiny or fate. Our lives could very easily have gone in a totally different direction.

Yes, this was a typical dinner conversation for us. *facepalm*

H and I talked about this, at-length, during a road trip once. I'm a huge fan of the, "If this hadn't... If I hadn't... If you hadn't...," game, but he hates it. It blows his mind too much. :)

• levioosa said:

WARNING - this post contains exceptionally nerdy content. Read at your own risk.

FI and I were just discussing something very related to this at the dinner table last night after reading an article on a man named Hugh Everett, a theoretical physicist who coined the "many-worlds interpretation" in the 1950s. In short, this theory, which is based off the laws of quantum mechanics, holds that there are an infinite number of universes, each one derived from the outcome of a set of possible choices at each given point of time. In other words, there is a world for every possible combination of outcomes from many divergent points in space and time. There's a nice Wikipedia article on it here.

Everything that happens is in part a consequence of the preceding series of events. There is no such thing as destiny or fate. Our lives could very easily have gone in a totally different direction.

Could be worse. :) I just tried to convince FI that our surprise snow day would be best spent binge watching the Harry Potter movies. He was... less than impressed.

There is literally no better way to spend a snow day than watching Harry Potter.  Except maybe by breaking it up with sex and mac and cheese. 

I second this. A snow day Harry Potter marathon sounds AWE.SOME! Sex and mac and cheese are pretty good too.

And by the way, also along the many worlds interpretation - imagine this:
    There may be other worlds out there in which you never met your FI/DH, you are engaged/married to another man, you are single, you are dead, you never existed in the first place, human beings never existed in the first place, life on earth never happened, the solar system or Milky Way was never formed... etc.

BOX

It JUST dawned on me that THIS is what I think about more often than I do the decisions someone else makes. Like, I knew I thought about this car more, but the wiki didn't explain it so my dumb brain could pick up on it. Like, I'll go through a green light, and I think, in an literate universe that was a red light and I got t-boned. ...which is pretty fucking weird.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • WARNING - this post contains exceptionally nerdy content. Read at your own risk.

Our second date opened with J saying "so hey, in an alternate universe, we went to high school together."  I grew up in Alberta, he grew up in BC and Manitoba.  His dad was a baker for a grocery store chain, and was offered a position in my hometown while they were living in BC.

I also came up with an idea for a short story a few days ago - all of the alternate iterations of you at a specific time of life meet up and have coffee.  But then I thought of all the different 31 year old me's there were and was sad about some of them.  I'm my best life.

All that to say - I think we'd have fun at dinner together :)

I wouldn't have met J if I hadn't become a cop, which wouldn't have happened if my dad didn't (as a mid-life career), which wouldn't have happened if they hadn't become friends with new cop (in a mid-life career) who transferred into our home town.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • danamw said:

Everyone who thinks "if not for xyz circumstance, FI and I would never have met" needs to see the movie "Sliding Doors" starring Gwyneth Paltrow.

Perhaps, if something is meant to be, it will be, fate will make it happen.

I believe that. One thing that made my husband and I click was realizing how much we had in common. He was four years ahead of me at the same college, but had a friend in my sorority. His mom and my dad went to the same high school in a major city, but a few years apart. We live on the same street, a mile apart (oh, small-world-city-living). We like the same bars. We have the same running route. A common joke for him is, "WHY did it take SO LONG to meet you?"

• My parents moved from CA to OR 30 years ago. A couple years after I was a baby in a backpack and my mom took me and my toddler sister to the park. My mom can talk anyone's ear off. She met another lady with a baby in a backpack and some toddlers who could also talk anyone's ear off. She mentioned they were looking for a place to live and my mom told them the little farmhouse next door to us was for sale. 

They bought it and they've been the neighbors ever since and they're the most awesome people I know. A couple years after that the lady had my best friend. We're soul mates, even more so than H and me. All because two moms took their kids at the park the same day...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards