Snarky Brides

brides & child free weddings

Re: brides & child free weddings

• I ended up kind of inviting in circles. We had 3 flower girls and 3 ring bearers (2 sibling groups that we weren't about to pick-and-choose between so we just had all 6 and it was adorable). They were my cousins and DH's cousin's kids. My nephew was there (17 months old), and we invited DH's other cousin's kids- 2 are older, like 12 and 14, and 2 are younger, like 7 and 4. I didn't invite my mom's cousin's kids' kids or my mom's other cousin's kids. One of them didn't come because her kids weren't invited. Oh well.
  • We are also having a child free wedding, and if that offends any of my guests they can stay home. I guess the motherly gene just skipped me because I absolutely hate children, especially in wedding situations. At my brother's wedding they were running around all night bumping into the adults trying to have fun on the dance floor, one even had these ridiculous shoes with skates in them on! The flower girl decided to sit down in the middle of the ceremony, then get up, walk around, etc. It really took you out of the beauty of the ceremony because you could only focus on this child. At at least half of the bridal showers I've been at when the bride is opening the gifts the kids are trying to take them from her or yell about how they aren't getting gifts. I was so annoyed in all of these situations it was a nightmare. My solution, absolutely no children anywhere near wedding.

That being said, I'm fully aware that it's the parent's responsibility to control the child. I just don't trust that some of my extended family will do that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a child free day. Just because you think your child's shenanigans are adorable doesn't mean the rest of us do. Thankfully, none of the wedding party has children so it's not a huge issue for the people closest to us.

Not to mention the money I am saving by not having them. No children just seems like a no brainer to me.

• redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015

We are also having a child free wedding, and if that offends any of my guests they can stay home. I guess the motherly gene just skipped me because I absolutely hate children, especially in wedding situations. At my brother's wedding they were running around all night bumping into the adults trying to have fun on the dance floor, one even had these ridiculous shoes with skates in them on! The flower girl decided to sit down in the middle of the ceremony, then get up, walk around, etc. It really took you out of the beauty of the ceremony because you could only focus on this child. At at least half of the bridal showers I've been at when the bride is opening the gifts the kids are trying to take them from her or yell about how they aren't getting gifts. I was so annoyed in all of these situations it was a nightmare. My solution, absolutely no children anywhere near wedding.

That being said, I'm fully aware that it's the parent's responsibility to control the child. I just don't trust that some of my extended family will do that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a child free day. Just because you think your child's shenanigans are adorable doesn't mean the rest of us do. Thankfully, none of the wedding party has children so it's not a huge issue for the people closest to us.

Not to mention the money I am saving by not having them. No children just seems like a no brainer to me.

• We are having a child free wedding. Some of our friends with babies and children are asking us why their speshul snowflake was not included on our save the dates. Some of them expect their children to be invited to all types of events including  a black tie charity gala that I went to with FH (that is another story).

Two historic venues we checked out implied that children were not "allowed". Has anyone ever heard that with a venue?

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• edited February 2015
    I can see fine thanks. :)

If you want scores of tiny humans trampling around your wedding, that is your prerogative and I respect that completely. Just don't tell others the rules they have to follow for THEIR big day.

AlexisA01, the only place I've heard of doing that are adult only resorts, like in the Caribbean for destination weddings.
  • I can see fine thanks. :)

If you want scores of tiny humans trampling around your wedding, that is your prerogative and I respect that completely. Just don't tell others the rules they have to follow for THEIR big day.

AlexisA01, the only place I've heard of doing that are adult only resorts, like in the Caribbean for destination weddings.
    Invite who you're close to, and if that's not the kids, then fine. Your "knowledge" that parents have to parent their own kids is also etiquette-approved.

However, I think people are more put off by your attitude towards the tiny humans. It's the "children would be RUINOUS to my vision - ROLLER SKATES?? HOW DARE THEY HAVE FUN ON THE DANCE FLOOR" attitude that gets eye rolls. Plus the attitude of "Parents need to parent their own kids, but they don't do it well enough so I'm making the decision for them." Just a lot of attitude.
  • We are also having a child free wedding, and if that offends any of my guests they can stay home. I guess the motherly gene just skipped me because I absolutely hate children, especially in wedding situations. At my brother's wedding they were running around all night bumping into the adults trying to have fun on the dance floor, one even had these ridiculous shoes with skates in them on! The flower girl decided to sit down in the middle of the ceremony, then get up, walk around, etc. It really took you out of the beauty of the ceremony because you could only focus on this child. At at least half of the bridal showers I've been at when the bride is opening the gifts the kids are trying to take them from her or yell about how they aren't getting gifts. I was so annoyed in all of these situations it was a nightmare. My solution, absolutely no children anywhere near wedding.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    MagicInk said:

Jen4948 said:

It's not always the bride who doesn't want kids there because "they'll ruin the wedding." Sometimes it's the groom who thinks that while the bride has no problem with kids at the wedding. This is in no way meant to justify this viewpoint at all, just that the blame does not always belong on the bride's shoulders.

@Jen4948 Um, there was no groom at my wedding. So it was all the brides' decisions.

Please remember that not everyone is in a heterosexual relationship. Assuming that everyone here is in a heterosexual relationship simply because you identify as heterosexual is super offensive.
    Um, @MagicInk, you missed the point, which is that it's not always the bride's fault, period! Not all same-sex marriages are between two women! There can be two grooms in homosexual marriages as well!

Even in a heterosexual marriage, it is not always the bride who wants it-sometimes it's the groom and NOT the bride!

Had you not been in a hurry to cut me down, surely that would have come to mind?
  • Jen4948 said:

MagicInk said:

Jen4948 said:

It's not always the bride who doesn't want kids there because "they'll ruin the wedding." Sometimes it's the groom who thinks that while the bride has no problem with kids at the wedding. This is in no way meant to justify this viewpoint at all, just that the blame does not always belong on the bride's shoulders.

@Jen4948 Um, there was no groom at my wedding. So it was all the brides' decisions.

Please remember that not everyone is in a heterosexual relationship. Assuming that everyone here is in a heterosexual relationship simply because you identify as heterosexual is super offensive.
    Um, @MagicInk, you missed the point, which is that it's not always the bride's fault, period! Not all same-sex marriages are between two women! There can be two grooms in homosexual marriages as well!

Even in a heterosexual marriage, it is not always the bride who wants it-sometimes it's the groom and NOT the bride!

Had you not been in a hurry to cut me down, surely that would have come to mind?
    Pretty sure YOU missed the point. 
  • redoryx said:

Jen4948 said:

MagicInk said:

Jen4948 said:

Bull fucking shit.

The point was that everyone here is quick to assume the bride is always the one (in a heterosexual or a bride, in a two-women couple) who doesn't want to invite kids. Sometimes it's not the bride, or that particular bride. It could be the groom, grooms if it's a two-men couple, or the other bride in a two-women couple.

You were in such a hurry to be snarky that you didn't take in that my point was that the person who is really responsible is not the one catching the blame.
  • We are having a child free wedding. Because it's a destination wedding most people just opted to leave the kids behind. Everyone was welcome to bring their spawn but some people got offended when we didn't offer their children (all under the age of 10) their own room and that they would have to sleep on a pull away in mom and dads room. One relative was super offended that her children did not get their own room and that I actually planned on having other adult people I invited in every room? She was welcome to stay at a hotel near by and pay for her and her children's own room but this was not an acceptable option?
  • hsgator said:

Jen4948 said:

MagicInk said:

Jen4948 said:

Whoa. So many exclamation points (but oh dear god, I had better not suggest that you aren't calm).

Anywho, I'm certain that she understood your point; she is not dim.

Her post read to me as a friendly reminder that we (all of us) she be aware and try to use gender-inclusive language as mush as possible, because not doing so can be pretty offensive.
    Right, but the title of the OP is "brides & child free weddings" and @Jen4948 just mentioned that sometimes the child-free attitude doesn't necessarily come from a bride, and sometimes it's the groom in a situation that wants a kid-free wedding. She nowhere implied anywhere in her post that all marriages have a bride and groom. But the word groom was mentioned and for some reason @MagicInk jumped down her throat. Let's all simmer down. Groom is not a bad word. Some marriages have a bride and a groom, some have two brides, some have two grooms. JFC.
    Thank you.
  • Jen4948 said:

redoryx said:

Jen4948 said:

MagicInk said:

Jen4948 said:

Bull fucking shit.

The point was that everyone here is quick to assume the bride is always the one (in a heterosexual or a bride, in a two-women couple) who doesn't want to invite kids. Sometimes it's not the bride, or that particular bride. It could be the groom, grooms if it's a two-men couple, or the other bride in a two-women couple.

You were in such a hurry to be snarky that you didn't take in that my point was that the person who is really responsible is not the one catching the blame.
    My point was that 99% of the posts here about this topic are from BRIDES complaining about not wanting children at the wedding for all of the reasons listed. Yes, of course, sometimes the Grooms are in agreement or the one pushing it, but the posts are from the brides and they are the ones freaking out about how the kids will ruin the wedding.

MagicInk's point was that using "bride & groom" as a couple is not inclusive to the entire combination of couples here at TK.
  • Also, you are aware this is the SNARKY brides board, yes? Being snarky pretty much comes with the territory.
  • hsgator said:

Jen4948 said:

MagicInk said:

Jen4948 said:

Whoa. So many exclamation points (but oh dear god, I had better not suggest that you aren't calm).

Her post read to me as a friendly reminder that we (all of us) she be aware and try to use gender-inclusive language as mush as possible, because not doing so can be pretty offensive.
    Right, but the title of the OP is "brides & child free weddings" and @Jen4948 just mentioned that sometimes the child-free attitude doesn't necessarily come from a bride, and sometimes it's the groom in a situation that wants a kid-free wedding. She nowhere implied anywhere in her post that all marriages have a bride and groom. But the word groom was mentioned and for some reason @MagicInk jumped down her throat. Let's all simmer down. Groom is not a bad word. Some marriages have a bride and a groom, some have two brides, some have two grooms. JFC.

HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY KNOW HOW SIMMERED I AM, OMG /sarcasm

Okay, anyway, no. I absolutely understand Jen's point, and it is a good point. And i'm certain that MagicInk did as well. A PSA does not equal jumping down someone's throat.
  • redoryx said:

Also, you are aware this is the SNARKY brides board, yes? Being snarky pretty much comes with the territory.

Uh huh. You want to be snarky, you can't complain if the person you respond to is also snarky.
  • Jen4948 said:

redoryx said:

Also, you are aware this is the SNARKY brides board, yes? Being snarky pretty much comes with the territory.

Uh huh. You want to be snarky, you can't complain if the person you respond to is also snarky.
    Where did I ever say anything about anyone else (I am assuming you mean yourself) being snarky? 
  • Jen4948 said:

redoryx said:

There is a big difference between snarky and unnecesarily aggressive, while somehow also being impossibly easy to offend/upset.
  • redoryx said:

Jen4948 said:

redoryx said:

Where did I ever say anything about anyone else (I am assuming you mean yourself) being snarky? 
    Snark generates snark.
  • hsgator said:

Jen4948 said:

MagicInk said:

Jen4948 said:

Okay, anyway, no. I absolutely understand Jen's point, and it is a good point. And i'm certain that MagicInk did as well. A PSA does not equal jumping down someone's throat.

She said what @Jen4948 said was "super offensive". How on earth is using the word groom super offensive?  Let's revisit her post...
    Jen4948 said:

Nothing about that is offensive. At all.
    --

• Jen4948 said:

redoryx said:

Jen4948 said:

redoryx said:

Snark generates snark.
    YOU said MagicInk and I were both being snarky. YOU were the one complaining about another person being snarky, not us. Seriously, I'm being sincere. I have no idea what you're talking about here.
  • hsgator said:

hsgator said:

Jen4948 said:

MagicInk said:

Jen4948 said:

She said what @Jen4948 said was "super offensive". How on earth is using the word groom super offensive?  Let's revisit her post...
    Jen4948 said:

She said that making the assumption that there is always is a bride and a groom is super offensive. That's all.
  • hsgator said:

hsgator said:

Jen4948 said:

MagicInk said:

Jen4948 said:

Jen4948 said:

She said that making the assumption that there is always is a bride and a groom is super offensive. That's all.

--

• CMGragain said:

I KNOW I'm old fashioned, but I think weddings are about FAMILIES joining together to celebrate the marriage.  Babies are a part of families.

I get the impression a lot of brides, especially the young ones, are confusing their wedding with a prom.  They have visions of dancing, drinking, and romance.  For us, it was about embracing our families, and calling them to witness our union.  The dinner, drinking and dancing receptions were just staring to be popular, thanks to movies and THE WEDDING INDUSTRY.

Did we get our dream wedding?  No, not with OUR families involved, but we tried.  Daughter's wedding was much more relaxed, and child friendly, including a special dance for the children to do with the bride.  (The Hokey Pokey!)  Great photo op!

Sorry, but that was all a lot of barf to me. The bride has to dance with kids? No, no thanks to all of that.
    Photo op says you have to. Go ahead and barf though. Great photo op! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards