Chit Chat
Options

Deal hunting and other crazy quirks

DH is pretty obsessed with finding "deals" and flipping stuff.  He works a full-time job but on the side he'll buy and sell tractors, snowmobiles, cars.  He's the king of Craigslist.  The latest: we need a stove.  He buys stove A but it doesn't have a hood and backsplash.  He buys stove B with everything and will turn around and sell just the range.  This involves driving over 200 miles on a weeknight (I stay home).

He rarely loses money and usually things work out, but the process of wheeling and dealing, not to mention driving all over the region to pick up and drop off stuff just seems exhausting to me.

Does anyone else have a SO with odd obsessions?  

Re: Deal hunting and other crazy quirks

• Options
    I think I'm marrying your H. 

My FI is the same way. He fixes up motorcycles, dirtbikes, four-wheelers, etc. and sells them. He always comes out with a profit. It's his area of expertise and he can do all the labor himself. 

He'd fight your H for the title "King of Craigslist." If we travel anywhere he checks the listings along the way or at our destination to see if he can pick anything up. 

Here was the last project. Not too bad, and it paid for our honeymoon! 

• Options

That would drive me nuts. My friend's husband does that with cars and he spends all his time on them. Plus he keeps some for himself here & there and races, crashes at high speeds, and still does it. I'm sorry, if I had 3 kids with you- hell fucking no are you street racing.

I think the only weird thing I can think of for my husband is that he's obsessed with watching gamers on YouTube. He won't watch tv or movies with me, he will sit next to me on the couch and watch literally hours of these videos on his phone. It's doesn't bother me, but I find it bizarre that he doesn't own any these games. He just likes watching the "professionals" play the different levels, and show the tricks, but he never intends to actually buy or play the games himself. lol

• Options
    @maeday2   That's awesome.  Our guys are definitely twins.  

@jenna8984 Yeah, that sounds really irresponsible. Priorities should not be that screwed up if you have children.  So far, for DH it hasn't been a destructive obsession, but I would definitely put my foot down if it turned into that.

And I almost fell off my chair laughing about your husband's gamer spectating :)  
  • Options
    This was my ex boyfriend but not always as successful as your H. He liked the challenge of it.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    -FI will stretch to the furthest ends to make pun. 
    -He will deny it until his dying day, but he gets super in to the Bachelor/ette with me. Like, we are long distance but he will watch it on his own and then call me to discuss. 
    -He is really superstitious with sports. As in, if his team is playing, he goes to Subway, orders the same sandwich before the game and flips his shit if they don't put the ingredients on the sandwich in the same order as they did last time. If his team wins, he won't wash the clothes he wore during the gae and will wear them every game thereafter until they lose. I accidentally washed them one time before I knew of this quirk and oooh lawd....

ETF grammar/clarification 
  • Options
    @jenandtonic81515

My FI and I are long distance. He's the SAME way with my trashy reality shows. Secretly, they like it. 

Geaux tigers! Where are you from? 
  • Options
    I'm from Texas, currently living in Georgia, but went to LSU! Are you from Louisiana? 
  • Options
    I used to do that with computers and parts! It's kind of a rush to take junk and fix it and actually sell it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

I'm from Texas, currently living in Georgia, but went to LSU! Are you from Louisiana? 

Nice! 

I'm from the Northshore of NOLA, but live in Tennessee now. 
  • Options
    My DH is not handy in any way shape or form.  Even worse with electronics.    When he buys a new whatever he just hands the box to me.   Seriously, he hands the box to me to put it all together and then give him the cliff notes on how to use said product.

So he doesn't have any real obsessions other then food.  He likes food.  Everywhere we go it's about food.    You know how people get excited about the Louvre or the Eiffel Tower?  Yeah, DH was more interested in the little cafes and markets around those attractions.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    That's awesome! My FH is obsessed with his line of work (basically he gets paid to hack and keep hackers out) and guitars. He loves playing guitar by himself or at shows with his band.

And @vikinganna87 I remember you recommended the movie Obvious Child awhile back. I finally watched it and it was great!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    maeday2 That's awesome! Louisiana earned a place in my heart as a second home after four years of college. I miss it so much sometimes though, you'd think that I was born and raised there. 
  • Options
    My H always wants to do everything himself. "Oh, we're redoing the bathroom. I'm going to make the vanity myself." "Instead of buying new bedroom furniture, I'm just going to make it." 

The kitchen? That too. "I'm going to construct all of the cabinets myself! Won't that be great?!" 

It's not that he's not capable or handy. He is. He's just fucking slow as molasses, and he owns his own company, so he's busy. If he built our new bedroom furniture, it would take roughly 21 years. 
  • Options
    @hellohkb So glad you liked it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards