Chit Chat

Advice on starting BC to skip period

So for almost the last year I have been getting my period on one of the very last days of every month like clockwork. Which would have been perfect since I'm getting married 4/18/15 and get back from my honeymoon on the 29th. But of course, last month and this month It moved up to around the 20th. So I'll be PMSing during my wedding week and then have my period on my honeymoon :(

I have been on BC before, but after trying about 5 different ones, none of them worked for me and I just stopped all together. On all of them, I had super emotional lows and highs, gained some weight, and most important, lost all my sex drive. But now I'm considering getting back on BC so I can skip my period that week (and yes, I know I might spot but I never had that issue before when I would skip my period). Should I take my chances and hope that the next BC I try doesn't come with crazy side effects or just deal with having my period on my honeymoon.

Thoughts? Advice?

Re: Advice on starting BC to skip period

• Have you told all of this to your doctor? Maybe you should tell your doctor.
  • I'd say deal with your period, but mine are pretty light with no other side effects, so I've never had to deal with shitty periods.  

What does your Dr. say??  If you've had problems before they should be trying different brands.  Another option, though it might be too late is a Mirena IUD.  Apparently you pretty much stop your period on that, but I think it takes a few months, and you might not want an IUD either.  

• I would  start trying stuff now. There are zillions out there and there should be one that works for you. I have been on some different ones as well. I do fine on about half of them, the other half gave me pregnancy-like symptoms or I spot a little, especially if I attempt to skip a period, let alone two. 

Or try a cup? You can have sex with one in. I think. 
  • Tell your doctor.  Internet strangers cannot help you with this.
  • FiancB said:

I would  start trying stuff now. There are zillions out there and there should be one that works for you. I have been on some different ones as well. I do fine on about half of them, the other half gave me pregnancy-like symptoms or I spot a little, especially if I attempt to skip a period, let alone two. 

Or try a cup? You can have sex with one in. I think. 
    Only the Soft Cups.  Diva cups sit too low for there to be any room left.  

• I don't think I'd be starting something new now just to hopefully miss for my wedding in a month. Maybe if it were 6 months out but u don't have enough time in my opinion to ensure it will do what you want
  • jackannlu said:

So for almost the last year I have been getting my period on one of the very last days of every month like clockwork. Which would have been perfect since I'm getting married 4/18/15 and get back from my honeymoon on the 29th. But of course, last month and this month It moved up to around the 20th. So I'll be PMSing during my wedding week and then have my period on my honeymoon :(

I have been on BC before, but after trying about 5 different ones, none of them worked for me and I just stopped all together. On all of them, I had super emotional lows and highs, gained some weight, and most important, lost all my sex drive. But now I'm considering getting back on BC so I can skip my period that week (and yes, I know I might spot but I never had that issue before when I would skip my period). Should I take my chances and hope that the next BC I try doesn't come with crazy side effects or just deal with having my period on my honeymoon.

Thoughts? Advice?
    All of the bolded sounds worse than being on period on your wedding day. Is it ideal? No, but do you really want to risk any of those side-effects on your wedding day or honeymoon?

If you are really, really concerned about this or your periods are really unbearable I suggest talking to your doctor ASAP but unfortunately you don't really have enough time to find something that works for you.

• I don't think you have enough time for this to move your period. Any time I tried using the pill to just skip one period I always had breakthrough bleeding. I was better off moving it a few days in either direction by adding an additional pill from the next pack onto the current pack for a few months in a row. 

• Generally not a great idea to ask medical advice from internet strangers without medical degrees. This is your doctor's job. He/she will know more and are paid to care about your welfare. Call your doctor. Tell him/her your concerns.

I switched BC's about 7 months before our wedding. I told my doctor that I didn't want to be on my period over my wedding. She was understanding and reassuring.

• A, none of us are doctors (although) I could be mistaken
    B, If your wedding is in 2 mo, I think it's too late to do this and actually anticipate success.
  • Thanks everyone! Like I said, I've done this before in previous years (and had success when doing it). I was not looking for medical advice, but more of advice based on other people's experience. I've already talked to my Dr, who has given me the OK, so I just have to make the decision to do it or not.

@bethsmiles You're right, its not ideal but I can definitely deal with it. I know I wasn't going to have time to try several out to find one that 'works for me' but I was thinking about just trying the next one on my Dr. list and hoping it worked. Probably not smart to start now though. Thanks!
  • H had to go get me lady supplies the first night of our honeymoon. It did not ruin the honeymoon.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I've done this a few times and never had any problems. I kind of still felt like I had PMS symptoms for a day or two but, it went away after that. I've heard of other people having breakthrough bleeding or spotting. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• How long have you been off BC?  BC takes some time to work in regards to both protection from getting pregnant and regulating your period.  At this point, only a month and a half out, I think your best option is to just deal with your period if you get it over your wedding or honeymoon.

• I'm 100% on board with using BC to skip periods with no spotting. My doctor/gyno said it was fine, because you don't get 'real' period on bc (hormone withdrawl). But anyways, I still think it's a bit late, and your side effects sound pretty serious. If its something that is very important to you, you can try, but you'd have to start pretty soon. Like, today. If your dr gave you the go ahead then I dont see why not.
  • I've never personally done this, but I have had friends skip the placebo pills and go straight onto the next pack to skip their period.  I think I asked my doctor about this and she said it was technically fine, although I might still experience some spotting, minor cramping, and bloating.  As long as you talk to your doctor and he approves you could try, but I don't know how much success you'll have with only a month to go.  I think it usually takes about 3 months to make periods regular and to manipulate them. 

FWIW, I've been on a ton of different BCs and they have all sucked in the past.  I am finally on Viorele, and it's the only one that hasn't killed my sex drive, or put me on the crazy train.  I have gained some weight though, but I tend to be very sensitive to BC, so that might just be me.

• I use BC to extend my cycle with my dr's blessing (I don't use a three month pill; I use three one month pills), but I've also been on the pill consistently for eight years. I believe it takes awhile for it to really start though, and at this point it might be too late for it to really make a difference for you by your honeymoon. So it can be done but the longer you go without a period the more likely it is you'll experience spotting.

Also, finding the right pill is key. I've been on four different pills over the years, all with varying side effects. I don't know that I'd use your honeymoon as a time to experiment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• The first BC I took caused me to completely miss my period, but it took a few months before it started happening. It was Loestrin 24, I believe. I didn't have any side effects, other than a panic attack the first time I missed...which is why I don't take it anymore (too worrisome for me). It will totally depend on your body, but I believe with any BC it will take more than 2 months to start skipping, even if you plunge straight through placebo pills. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards