Chit Chat

Sad start to my year...

So, I guess this is just a vent of sorts, but since FI is out of town, I needed to get it out somehow...

My year has gotten off to a rocky start. Three days into 2015, my sister's beloved family dog had to be put down. I was there to support her, and I must say, it was SO hard to watch. The next day, I got a call from my dad that my grandma died suddenly. She was 96, and in relatively good health considering her age. One minute she was fine, the next she was dead. At least she went quickly, and she was happy and not alone when she went. And she was ready. Still, I was close with her, and it was just so sudden.

Fast forward to beginning of February, my grandpa (on my mom's side) developed a chest cold that would not go away. Last week he went into the hospital, and the doctors found a mass in his lung. Biopsy came back showing aggressive lung cancer (he was a heavy smoker for 50 years). They gave him 6-12 months IF he responds well to chemo, but given his age, it's not likely he will respond well. My mom is working to move him up here ASAP so she can care for him in his last days. I LOVE my grandpa, he is just such a sweet, kind, gentle, funny man. I'm just not ready to lose him so soon after my grandma. He's my last living grandparent, and I was really hoping he could be at my wedding, but it looks like he may not make it that long.

And now I am in the final stages of wedding planning (less than four months - yay!). But I am feeling so overwhelmed, and it's just so hard to balance the joy of starting a new phase in my life with so much sadness at losing two people (and a dog) who were an important part of my life. I'm trying to focus on the good things, but it is just so hard to balance it all. They say bad things come in threes, but now I just find myself expecting the bad to come. This is not how I envisioned the year I get married starting.

I'm going to go pour a glass of wine now.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Sad start to my year...

• Sending you hugs, losing grandparents is so hard. And then watching your sister's dog being put down had to be emotionally draining. Drink all the wine.
  • I am so sorry for your loss and for everything that is happening.  *Hugs*

• I'm sorry too. Lost my grandmother last year and am headed to FI's grandmother's funeral this weekend. Loosing a loved one is always difficult, no matter their age. I try to think of it this way: when you live a life that is enriched by having many relationships, friends or family, you are bound to experience loss. Although it's sad, you'd rather have had them in your life and vice versa than go through life lonely and shielded from the pain of losing people you care deeply about. In any case, my condolences for the loss of your grandmother and best wishes for recovery of your grandfather. I'm sure they both love you very much and are happy to see you building a life/family for yourself from here on earth or beyond. Best wishes.
  • So sorry to hear about your losses.

My family is trying to cope with my grandmothers advanced Alzheimer's and it's been weighing on me throughout the wedding planning. I always imagined she'd be at my wedding but there's just no way she could travel from KS to TX, which would be about 8 hours. I've never experienced losing a close family member or friend, and with my grandma's dementia, she's pretty much not even the same person; it feels like she's already gone. I'm trying to be thankful for those that are still around (I'll have two elderly grandfathers in attendance who are THE BEST) and to appreciate all the days we do still have with my grandma, even if she's not the way I remember her.

I don't have any advice, just sympathy.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I'm so sorry. 
  • I'm so sorry. That is a lot deal with. I know this probably doesn't help much, but it really will get better. Hugs. 
  • I'm so sorry.  That is a lot of heartbreak in a very short time span. All I can offer is warm hugs and a big "I'm really sorry."
  • Thanks for the support, everyone. I'm working on being thankful for the things I do have. (Examples: Grandpa will be moving up to my area soon, and so I will get to spend a lot more time with him! And I get to marry my best friend in less than four months!)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm sorry too. Lost my grandmother last year and am headed to FI's grandmother's funeral this weekend. Loosing a loved one is always difficult, no matter their age. I try to think of it this way: when you live a life that is enriched by having many relationships, friends or family, you are bound to experience loss. Although it's sad, you'd rather have had them in your life and vice versa than go through life lonely and shielded from the pain of losing people you care deeply about. In any case, my condolences for the loss of your grandmother and best wishes for recovery of your grandfather. I'm sure they both love you very much and are happy to see you building a life/family for yourself from here on earth or beyond. Best wishes.

Thank you - this is a really good way to look at it. The more love you have in your life, the more loss you will experience. So it goes.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards