Chit Chat
Options

Readings

Did you/ will you have them in your ceremony? Which ones? I'm really curious to know what other people do. 

Our officiant emailed me this morning and asked if there are any particular readings FI and I want to use. Good question. We're not doing a religious ceremony since he and I are both not religious. We're including some Jewish traditions for the sake of my family history and a Celtic tradition for the sake of his family's history. But other than that... no plans yet. 

I've been googling non-religious readings and there's some really good ones out there. And some really cute ones. I particularly like this one (but I haven't had a chance to run it past FI just yet): 

now there are two of us

Now there
are two of us, instead of only one,

two times as many things get left half undone.

We’re twice as half-asleep when the new day has begun

and maybe twice as on the run,

’cause some of them will still be making fun of us.

They’ll say the two of you will never be one of us.

But even if that’s true,

they’ll have twice as much to do

when there are two of us,

and one of them is you.

They’ll find the two of us much harder to restrain,

outsmarted by our impressive double brain

If one of us runs dry, still another will remain,

and it’s twice as hard to pull the chain

of two of us, against a ton of them:

but two of us outnumber every single one of them.

Two lives are semi-rough

with half the rent and twice the stuff.

There are two of us, and that should be enough.

Look at everybody.

Everybody’s always

falling apart or breaking up.

But the two of us never will be one of those,

and I should know– I have had a run of those

Our love’s not guaranteed,

but it’s growing like a weed.

There are two of us,

I think that’s all we need.

From the ‘Mr T Experience

Re: Readings

• Options
    H's godmother did one, as is tradition tradition in his family. It was this one.
    http://weddingcabaret.blogspot.com/2009/03/ceremony-reading-to-love-is-not-to.html?m=1

• Options
    flyingfoxesflyingfoxes member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015

I love readings!  I think it gives a little something extra about the couple.

• Options
    ouu. Im curious about this too!

We're just starting researching our ceremony as we are doing on non-religious one as well and can basically write it from scratch but we have nothing to really base it off! We know we want to include a reading to make the ceremony a bit more involved then just a quick Do you?, do you? Married. kind of thing.

But don't even really know where to start!
  • Options

OK, fail on pasting the text. 

LINK

• Options
    ouu. Im curious about this too!

We're just starting researching our ceremony as we are doing on non-religious one as well and can basically write it from scratch but we have nothing to really base it off! We know we want to include a reading to make the ceremony a bit more involved then just a quick Do you?, do you? Married. kind of thing.

But don't even really know where to start!
    Some of these were pretty cool, I thought: 

• Options
    I had one of my best friends read Touched by an Angel by Maya Angelou. 
  • Options

I had one of my best friends read Touched by an Angel by Maya Angelou. 

My mom had me read that at her wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    There will likely be both Neruda and Garcia Marquez, although we have not decided what, exactly.

I find a lot of writing about love is a little...off. Lots of talk of people "completing" each other or that god-awful Wuthering Heights notion: "He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same… my great thought in living is himself." I don't feel that way, and I wouldn't want anyone to feel that way about me. My great thought in living is a lot of things, and "he" is ranked very highly, but the idea of unwavering, worship-like devotion is too much for me. It leaves no room for partnership or mutual respect.

I am sure I will have a hard time finding things I like, but that won't stop me from searching!

This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

There will likely be both Neruda and Garcia Marquez, although we have not decided what, exactly.

I find a lot of writing about love is a little...off. Lots of talk of people "completing" each other or that god-awful Wuthering Heights notion: "He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same… my great thought in living is himself." I don't feel that way, and I wouldn't want anyone to feel that way about me. My great thought in living is a lot of things, and "he" is ranked very highly, but the idea of unwavering, worship-like devotion is too much for me. It leaves no room for partnership or mutual respect.

I am sure I will have a hard time finding things I like, but that won't stop me from searching!

Yeah, that's why I was kind of attracted to the reading I posted in the OP; "Two times as many things get left half undone" 

That's more accurate. It's not like the other poems or readings I've seen where it's all about "now I'm whole and my life is so blissful and perfect and blah blah blah" Nope. I'm still just as much of a mess as I ever was, but my level of mess fits really well with FI's level of mess, so we just work, and I love sharing my mess with him. 

The lofty ideals of perfection and whatever kind of make me nauseous. 
  • Options

I'm in this same boat.  Which is why I'm continuing to look, but may settle on the Dr. Seuss quote since it's not all about "he's my world" or "she's my world."
  • Options
    I love that passage from Corinthians. No shame.

I really enjoy Pablo Neruda, and would love something of his. However, FI thinks it's drivel. So still looking.
  • Options

That's what I loved so much about the one we chose... talks about how being in love makes you better together AND apart. A portion:

To love is not to possess,
    To own or imprison,
    Nor to lose one's self in another.
    Love is to join and separate,
    To walk alone and together,
    To find a laughing freedom
    That lonely isolation does not permit.

The biggest issue I had with a lot of the poetry snippets, random quotes, or book segments is they were way too short. I didn't want it to take more time for the reader to actually get to the mic than it too to complete it.

• Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015

I think these two are also cute and not too cringe-worthy. It's tough cuz neither of us are the type to like overly sappy things. And we don't take ourselves too seriously either. I'm gonna have to find some way to convince FI to actually read through these and help me pick lol 

"All I Ever Really Needed to Know I
    Learned in Kindergarten," by Robert Fulgham

All of what I really need to know about how to
    live, and what to do, and how to be, I learned in Kindergarten. Wisdom was not
    at the top of the graduate school mountain, but there in the sandbox at nursery
    school.

These are the things I learned…

Share everything.

Play fair.

Don't hit people.

Put things back where you found them.

Clean up your own mess.

Don't take things that aren't yours.

Say sorry when you hurt somebody.

Wash your hands before you eat.

Flush.

Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you. Give them to someone who feels
    sad.

Live a balanced life.

Learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and
    work every day.

Take a nap every afternoon.

Be aware of wonder.

Remember the little seed in the plastic cup?
    The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but
    we are all like that.

Everything you need to know is in there
    somewhere.

And it is still true,
    no matter how old you are, when you go out into the world, it is best to hold
    hands and stick together.

The Book of Love
    BY STEPHEN MERRITT (THE MAGNETIC FIELDS) FROM THE ALBUM 69
    LOVE SONGS

The book of love is long and boring

No one can lift the damn thing

It’s full of charts and facts and figures

and instructions for dancing

But I, I love it when you read to me

And you, you can read me anything

The book of love has music in it

In fact that’s where music comes from

Some of it is just transcendental

Some of it is just really dumb

But I, I love it when you sing to me

And you you can sing me anything

The book of love is long and boring

And written very long ago

It’s full of flowers and heart-shaped boxes

And things we’re all too young to know

But I, I love it when you give me things

And you, you ought to give me wedding rings

I, I love it when you give me things

And you, you ought to give me wedding rings

ETF Formatting? 

• Options
    We were boring and didn't add any readings to our traditional Methodist ceremony. The pastor opened with a verse and that was it.

• Options
    BlergbotBlergbot member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    My mom is an English professor and I asked her to choose a poem and read it at my wedding. I kept it together for most of our ceremony, but when my mom read this I did cry. Not ugly tears, thank god! Anyway, it was very moving.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/238894
  • Options
    We did an excerpt from Pride & Prejudice (my choice) and a quotation from John Lennon (his choice). It took us months to choose something because nothing seemed to fit us. 
  • Options
    RosieC18 said:

I'm a secular Jew and my husband is a fairly devout mainline Protestant so we did one old testament, one new and one secular. My favorite was the secular, which is from a book - Captain Coreilli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres. I admit to feeling a little weird that we used a quote from a book I've never read. We really liked it in comparison to a lot of the other "love" themed readings we saw because we really wanted to emphasize that the commitment we made to one another was about more than warm feelings, but building a life together.

Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your root was so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is.

Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being in love, which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.

Those that truly love have roots that grow towards each other underground, and when all t he pretty blossoms have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two.

I was thinking of using this same one! I love it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We had a completely non-religious ceremony because my husband is atheist.  We used "Union" by Robert Fulghum (same guy who did the Kindergarten one above) as our reading.

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance 
    to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. 
    From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes, indeed, 
    you have been making commitments in an informal way.

All of those conversations that were held in a car, or over a meal, 
    or during long walks – all those conversations that began with, 
    "When we're married", and continued with "I will" and "you will" and "we will" – 
    all those late night talks that included "someday" and "somehow" and "maybe" – 
    and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. 
    All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.

The symbolic vows that you are about to make 
    are a way of saying to one another, 
    "You know all those things that we've promised, and hoped, and dreamed – 
    well, I meant it all, every word."

Look at one another and remember this moment in time. 
    Before this moment you have been many things to one another – 
    acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, even teacher, 
    for you have learned much from one another these past few years. 
    Shortly you shall say a few words that will take you across a threshold of life, 
    and things between you will never quite be the same.

For after today you shall say to the world –

This is my husband. This is my wife.

• Options
    We're both Lutheran, and we're having Proverbs 3:3-6. 1 John 4:7-16, and John 2:1-10 as our readings.
  • Options

We had a completely non-religious ceremony because my husband is atheist.  We used "Union" by Robert Fulghum (same guy who did the Kindergarten one above) as our reading.

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance 
    to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. 
    From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes, indeed, 
    you have been making commitments in an informal way.

All of those conversations that were held in a car, or over a meal, 
    or during long walks – all those conversations that began with, 
    "When we're married", and continued with "I will" and "you will" and "we will" – 
    all those late night talks that included "someday" and "somehow" and "maybe" – 
    and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. 
    All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.

The symbolic vows that you are about to make 
    are a way of saying to one another, 
    "You know all those things that we've promised, and hoped, and dreamed – 
    well, I meant it all, every word."

Look at one another and remember this moment in time. 
    Before this moment you have been many things to one another – 
    acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, even teacher, 
    for you have learned much from one another these past few years. 
    Shortly you shall say a few words that will take you across a threshold of life, 
    and things between you will never quite be the same.

For after today you shall say to the world –

This is my husband. This is my wife.

I love this one! It's very fitting of us. I'm trying to convince FI but he thinks our ceremony should be a quick "do you? And do you?" I'm working on him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @novella1186 you're my spirit animal! I love Robert Fulghum. We're having Union read at our wedding. And I'm actually walking down the aisle to Book of Love, Peter Gabriel's version. 

Here's Union:

ETA it won't link the text so here's a link: CLICKY 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @jennyleigh16 I am glad you like it!

We wanted a short ceremony, but not too short. My best friend's ceremony was less than 5 minutes, and it left us all feeling like the actual wedding part of the day was an afterthought. Our ceremony clocked in at 10 minutes, which was long enough that people felt like there had been a wedding, but not so long people felt like it drug on and on.
  • Options
    mrsdee15mrsdee15 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    We decided on two - can't decide on the second, but our first is the Hands Ceremony.  We're both mostly Irish so it felt fitting.  

Blessing of the Hands

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever.

These are the hands that will work alongside yours, as together you build your future.

These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other.

These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind.

These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow, and tears of joy.

These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children.

These are the hands that will help you to hold your family as one.

These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it.

And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

ETA: I tried SO hard to find a reading from Harry Potter, but the only one was the "Always" thing, and that didn't make sense out of context.

ETAA: My best friend had a reading from the Velveteen Rabbit in hers.  It was sweet.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    We're going to meet with our officiant either tomorrow or next Saturday. I'm going to ask if we can use this shortened down version of the Art of Marriage. 

ETA- It copied and pasted in a REALLY wonky way. Sorry about that!

The
    Art of Marriage- 
    Wilferd
    Arlan Peterson

Happiness
    is not something that just happens

A
    good marriage must be created

The
    little things are the big things

It
    is never being too old to hold hands

It
    is remembering to say "I love you" at least once a day

It
    is at no time taking the other for granted; the courtship should not end with
    the honeymoon,

It
    should continue through all the years.

It
    is doing things for each other, not in attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in
    the spirit of joy

It
    is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitute in thoughtful
    ways.

It
    is not looking for perfection in each, it is cultivating flexibility, patience,
    understanding, and a sense of humor.

It
    is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow,

It
    is establishing a relationship in which the independence is equal,

Dependence
    is mutual and the obligation is reciprocal.

It
    is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.

It
    is discovering what marriage can be, at its best.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    We are having a non religious ceremony, much to the dismay of several family members, so we asked FI's Aunt and Uncle who we are pretty close with to do a reading. Turns out they are super religious and the reading they chose has the word Christ in it about a thousand times... it doesn't bother us so we are fine with it, and it will hopefully appease those family members.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We did a biblical reading and a passage from The Amber Spyglass.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 
    Two are better than one,
        because they have a good return for their labor:
    10 If either of them falls down,
        one can help the other up.
    But pity anyone who falls
        and has no one to help them up.
    11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
        But how can one keep warm alone?
    12 Though one may be overpowered,
        two can defend themselves.
    A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman
    “I will love you forever; whatever happens. Till I die and after I die, and when I find my way out of the land of the dead, I’ll drift about forever, all my atoms, till I find you again… I’ll be looking for you, every moment, every single moment. And when we do find each other again, we’ll cling together so tight that nothing and no one’ll ever tear us apart. Every atom of me and every atom of you… We’ll live in birds and flowers and dragonflies and pine trees and in clouds and in those little specks of light you see floating in sunbeams… And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me.”

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards