DIY Wedding Forum

Wishing Well

My mom and sister are hosting my bridal shower in a few weeks.  They wanted me to give them input on the wishing well.  My shower is vintage (Lois Carrol) Alice in Wonderland Mad hatter Tea party themed (sister is a disney fanatic) so I gave them this picture to go off of as I thought it was slightly whimsical.  They want to know what supplies they should get so i figured i'd ask some DIY'ers because I am not crafty at all.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wishing Well

• Can I ask what is supposed to go in the wishing well?  Like just well wishes written on paper?  Or money?  If it is the latter, then no, very bad.

If it is the former, then how big are they wanting to make it?  I am guessing they would need a bucket, two large wooden dowels to attach to the bucket.  A half to a yard of fabric to cover the dowels and make the skirt for the bucket.  Tulle and then paper and punches and stuff for the wording.  As to how one would go about assembling it, I think some trial and error would be the best bet.  Oh and one of them may need to know some basic sewing.

• Can I ask what is supposed to go in the wishing well?  Like just well wishes written on paper?  Or money?  If it is the latter, then no, very bad.

If it is the former, then how big are they wanting to make it?  I am guessing they would need a bucket, two large wooden dowels to attach to the bucket.  A half to a yard of fabric to cover the dowels and make the skirt for the bucket.  Tulle and then paper and punches and stuff for the wording.  As to how one would go about assembling it, I think some trial and error would be the best bet.  Oh and one of them may need to know some basic sewing.
    Wishing wells can literally be wishes for the couple, family recipes,small kitchen or home items even a box of pasta and soup.  Sometimes they are themed and sometimes they are a fancy gift holding box. No money should be placed in them.  I know this is a common misconception. 

They will be decorating a large box.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Wishing wells can literally be wishes for the couple, family recipes,small kitchen or home items even a box of pasta and soup.  Sometimes they are themed and sometimes they are a fancy gift holding box. No money should be placed in them.  I know this is a common misconception. 

They will be decorating a large box.
    Aha, gotcha.  The only wishing wells I have ever seen were at weddings and those most definitely were meant for money.

Well a box will be easier to decorate then a bucket.  They will still need the dowels but then they can simply hot glue the fabric around the box and decoratively pleat it/rouche it to give it that skirt look.  The dowels could just be taped in place with duct/packing tape.  And really they don't have to use fabric to cover the dowels, they could just buy ribbon (any width) and wrap it around the poles.

• My mom's friends are big on the wishing well. They put in things like dish towels, vegetable peelers, can openers. You know, all the things brides of dream of. I've never seen anyone put in money. I've also never seen anyone under the age of 50 put in anything.
  • I have never heard of this idea. Interesting. For some reason this reminds me of what would go in a "hope chest". I didn't know what that was either till one day I was with my older aunt and I bought some funky dish towels and she said "Those should go in your hope chest." I obviously responded with "What is that?". She described it as a chest you put household type things you pick up along the way so when you move out and get married you have a few things.

LOL I cannot remember how I responded, I hope I just said something like "That is nice" but to this day, in my head, I just think WTF! Is my FI supposed to pay a dowry too?

Sorry to go off topic. I think PP gave you great engineering options.
  • aliwis000 said:

I have never heard of this idea. Interesting. For some reason this reminds me of what would go in a "hope chest". I didn't know what that was either till one day I was with my older aunt and I bought some funky dish towels and she said "Those should go in your hope chest." I obviously responded with "What is that?". She described it as a chest you put household type things you pick up along the way so when you move out and get married you have a few things.

LOL I cannot remember how I responded, I hope I just said something like "That is nice" but to this day, in my head, I just think WTF! Is my FI supposed to pay a dowry too?

Sorry to go off topic. I think PP gave you great engineering options.

Hahaha, it's tradition in my family to get a hope chest when you turn 16. I use it to store my old stuffed animals. :-p

• Haha my grandma kept mentioning this hope chest thing too.  A wishing well is definitely our version of that.  I never knew what it was until a few months ago either!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards