Wedding Invitations & Paper

How many extras?

Just wondering on how many extras people ordered or plan on ordering.

1. How many extra invitations? I'm planning on ordering about 15 extra invitations.

2. How many extra envelopes? I am calligraphing mine and while I'm pretty good at lettering, I'm anticipating mistakes. I was thinking about ordering 40 extra outer envelopes, 15 extra inner envelopes, and 15 extra RSVP envelopes.

What about you?!

Re: How many extras?

• We made our invites, we had maybe 4 extra invites and 2 extra envelopes
  • You should be fine with that. If you order the invites early, you can get started on the envelopes as soon as you get them. That way if you mess up and need to order more, you have time to do that. And if you get the envelopes done a little, no harm in having them in a box ready to mail. One more thing done on your to do list. Granted even when you are done, you should still have a few extra envelopes in case you get any last minute change of address notices.
  • We only needed to use 6 invitations, but I ordered 8 (1 extra for us, and 1 extra to just have. I figured if we needed 2 that I could just use the one that I was saving for us and do another order with just a single invite for a keepsake).

So I ordered 30% more. If I had a larger guestlist I'd probably have done more like 10%.

I ordered some fancy envelopes (they had the same motif style of my invites printed on the inside), but I didn't realize that the invites came with plain white envelopes as well. So we ended up with a TON of extra envelopes. I am happy that I had them though, because even though I wasn't doing fancy caligraphy (just plain hand printing), I still mussed up a couple.
  • We ordered 15 extra invitations/envelopes. I just started addressing them and have completed 50 so far without any mistakes (I'm crossing my fingers that this will be the case for the rest of them!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So, I've hand addressed ours myself. I don't know calligraphy (you go girl, that's awesome that you know how to do your own), but I did buy a couple of calligraphy pens and wrote in cursive for an effect that was kind of nice looking. I messed up quite a lot of envelopes doing this. Mind you, I did my addressing over about a month, usually with the tv on, so I didn't get into an addressing zone (although I found after I did about 10 at any one time my handwriting suffered so I think it was better for me this way). We had 73 invitations and I ordered 100 envelopes. I have used most of those extra with my mistakes, I don't think I'll have more than 7 left out of those 27. When it comes to envelopes, I would recommend getting more than you think you need. Invitations themselves, I ordered extra of those but I'll probably end up tossing everything except one set to keep for ourselves after the wedding. 
  • Thanks everyone! @badbnagdway, I'm most worried about the spacing on the envelopes... I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I have a feeling that I'll be starting a lot of envelopes over until I get the hang of it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards