Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Ivory dress with a groom wearing a White Tuxedo jacket...

Since day one my FI has told me he wanted to wear a white Tuxedo jacket with black pants. I bought my dress in ivory not thinking that would be a problem at all. We recently went to a tuxedo rental location,  when I told them my dress was ivory they told us the white jacket would make my dress look dirty. Now I'm not sure what his options are. My dress is technically ivory but has lots of beading in the bodice area and a silver sash. It really does not look ivory at all. Should he just stick with what he wanted? Will it look bad with an ivory jacket? Or should he just wear what the groomsmen are wearing, a traditional black jacket, white shirt and black pants tuxedo. I attached a few pictures so you guys can see what Im talking about. Thanks for the help.

The first picture is the tux he wanted, it has a black collar.

The second picture is what appears to be an ivory jacket with a white shirt. Does it look bad?

Re: Ivory dress with a groom wearing a White Tuxedo jacket...

• Options
    Can you post a picture of your dress?

Is your dress a true ivory or just an off white?  Many times people say their dress is ivory but when you see it you think, oh that dress is white.  There are so many variations of white, off white and ivory, that they tend to start looking all the same.

But in the end, if your FI wants to wear a white jacket, then let him.  It is just as much his day as it is yours and he shouldn't not get to wear what he wants because you decided to buy an off white/ivory dress.

• Options

The website says its Ivory/Gold Sleek Satin Sash/Silver.

I know that's why I feel bad. I want him to have what he wants!! Its his day too.

• Options

The website says its Ivory/Gold Sleek Satin Sash/Silver.

I know that's why I feel bad. I want him to have what he wants!! Its his day too.

Then the bolded is how you should proceed.

FYI - pretty dress!

• Options
    Id let him get the one he wants, it will look fine with your dress.  If you didn't say your dress was ivory I would assume it was white, it definitely doesn't look like it would be dingy especially with the bling on it
  • Options
    I think ivory and white will look totally fine together. Honestly, I can't even tell the difference when I see ivory dresses next to white dresses. 
  • Options
    Oh and PS, don't listen to the people at the suit store. They don't know everything. 

One of the suit stores we went to tried to convince us to have all our GMs rent or buy from them. We said "Some of them might, but they get to pick any gray suit they want." The suit guy then proceeded to make fun of me for that, saying they would all look like a disorganized mess and it would be terrible and so on. Nice, huh? 
  • Options

Oh and PS, don't listen to the people at the suit store. They don't know everything. 

One of the suit stores we went to tried to convince us to have all our GMs rent or buy from them. We said "Some of them might, but they get to pick any gray suit they want." The suit guy then proceeded to make fun of me for that, saying they would all look like a disorganized mess and it would be terrible and so on. Nice, huh? 
    This. The guy at our rental place made fun of us for not having ushers and told me to just assign the job to "a teenage male relative", saying that if we didn't have at least one no one would know where to sit and people would come in late. I'm fairly confident that my relatives have brains and know they should sit in chairs so, we'll somehow survive without ushers. 
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! He is most definitely still wearing his white tux!! 
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Most "ivory" wedding dresses appear white to most people. I'd be willing to bet the white tux jacket isn't the purest, white-as-the-driven-snow white either. Tell him to get down with his Bond self.

FTR, my dress was champagne and ivory, H wore a white shirt and ivory tie. He wore a grey suit; SF wore a black tux. Sales people probably would have told us we all looked terrible and dirty. Not in the slightest.

imageimage

• Options
    I think it's fine. My sister had an ivory dress and got ivory shirts for the groom and groomsmen. I was a bit worried about the ivory of the guys' shirts looking dingy next to her dress because of some of the posts I'd seen on here about it.  However, I didn't really notice it at the wedding, as I recall, and looking back at the photos, you can't really tell a difference between the shirts and her dress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards