Wedding Woes

So, tell me about Costco

We've been Sam's members for a while, and they're all right.  I mostly go there for cheap diapers and wipes, and water by the case.  Not in love, but they serve a purpose.

When we got our mortgage, it came with a free Costco membership, and we were like WTFever.  There isn't even really a Costco near us.  But it turns out the one closest to work is actually closer than I thought--I thought it was a 20 min. drive and it's more like 10.  And DS is running low on wipes, so it's a good reason to stop in. 

Is the hype true?  Is Costco really soooooo amazing?  What do you like to buy there?  Since I'm running out at lunch, perishables are probably not practical--I don't see myself stashing cases of Chobani and chicken breasts in the work fridge all afternoon.  Wine?  What else? 

Re: So, tell me about Costco

• We have been Costco members for 6 months and I worship at the altar of Costco now.  I love it far more than I ever liked Sams (we had a free Sams membership through DH's old job). 

What do I like to buy there?

Coffee
    Water
    Meat 
    Bread
    Applesauce pouches (for DefConn)
    Kirklands Organic Salsa
    3lb bag of tortilla strips
    Undies for DH, me, the kiddo
    Jeans for DH
    1/4 zip pull overs for DH (for work)
    Wine
    Vodka (their house brands of liquor are all excellent and priced well)
    Beer
    Frozen pizza
    Laundry detergent (they carry a eco-friendly brand that is made from coconut oil and smells like oranges...Love it)
    Toilet paper 
    Swiffer
    Kitchen wipes
    Entry rugs

There's more, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.  When DH finally gets his HUGE TV, we'll probably get it from Costco. 

We're executive members and get 2% back on everything we buy.  I'm curious to see what our rebate check will be when we're up for renewal. 

ALSO, their food court is amazing.  I can feed all 4 of us for $10 and it's good food.  I've done lunch with the boys there a few times after shopping.  
  • DS is hooked on the applesauce pouches, so I'm definitely adding those to my list.
  • Their brand (Kirkland) seems to be of higher quality than the Sam's Club brand.  On my trips to Costco, I mainly buy Kirkland brand baby wipes (they are awesome), paper towels, tissues and cases of water.  I'll occasionally pick up a big block of cheese, some refrigerated raviolis - and if I'm there at lunch time, they have awesome salads that can last you three lunches.  Their meat and produce look good, but we haven't really bought much of those.  Everything else seems to be very similar to the products and prices of Sam's Club.  I also think their fresh pizza is better than Sam's, but that might be a personal preference.
  • I really like Sam's, but we don't have a Costco.  I don't think I have ever heard anyone say they didn't like Costco.  I wish we had one so I could compare - the closest one is an hour away.
  • Heffalump said:

DS is hooked on the applesauce pouches, so I'm definitely adding those to my list.

Kirklands brand $8-ish for 24.  

GoGoSqueeze are $12-ish for 24. (and $8 for 12 in a regular grocery store)
  • Heffalump said:

DS is hooked on the applesauce pouches, so I'm definitely adding those to my list.

That is a crazy-good deal.  I buy the GoGo Squeeze 12 packs at the Super Target at work because that's the best price I've found locally, but I will definitely give Kirkland a shot.

FWIW, at my previous job we sold to both Costco and Sam's, and the Sam's buyer always had a giant pole up his ass.  Everyone at Costco was so much nicer to work with. 
  • I forgot that we get big containers of HE free and clear laundry detergent there, too - - since f-ing Sears stopped carrying what we liked and for some reason my usual grocery stores don't carry any HE free and clear.  
    And YES! to the food court.  They have CHURROS!!!1!
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

I felt like I got better deals at Sam's on brand name and clothes.  I preferred their meat and they definitely had more baby/kid stuff.  I do really love the Kirkland brand stuff though.  Member's Mark just isn't as nice.  It's just pricier. 

Things I buy on my sale rotations:
    NutriGrain bars
    Rice Krispie treats
    Annies Bunnies
    CapriSun
    Hand soap
    Laundry soap
    TP
    Kirkland granola bars
    Pirate's Booty

I love their cakes, kale salad, and naan bread too.

I feel like I get a better deal on cheese and pouches at Aldi.  I do like having the big boxes of individual stuff for school/tee ball/soccer snacks.

• Heffalump said:

Heffalump said:

That is a crazy-good deal.  I buy the GoGo Squeeze 12 packs at the Super Target at work because that's the best price I've found locally, but I will definitely give Kirkland a shot.

FWIW, at my previous job we sold to both Costco and Sam's, and the Sam's buyer always had a giant pole up his ass.  Everyone at Costco was so much nicer to work with. 
    At DH's last job, Wal-Mart/Sams were their biggest client and they were awful.  They'd demand they be open at certain times/on certain days, schedule a bunch of loads, and then their drivers would not pick them up. But they had to bend to them...or else.  DH did figure out a 24 hour automated process so they didn't have to keep their dock staffed 24/7. 

I do everything I can to avoid Walmart for the most part. It is the only big box retailer that's convenient in our town though.  I have to plan and set aside time to go to Target or Meijer. 
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015

I do everything I can to avoid Walmart for the most part. It is the only big box retailer that's convenient in our town though.  I have to plan and set aside time to go to Target or Meijer. 
    Good thing, since it's apparently populated by ass-rating creepers.  ;)
    6fsn said:

Things I buy on my sale rotations:
    NutriGrain bars
    Rice Krispie treats
    Annies Bunnies
    CapriSun
    Hand soap
    Laundry soap
    TP
    Kirkland granola bars
    Pirate's Booty

I love their cakes, kale salad, and naan bread too.

I feel like I get a better deal on cheese and pouches at Aldi.  I do like having the big boxes of individual stuff for school/tee ball/soccer snacks.

OMG, DD would sell her soul for a Costco-size box of Annie's Bunnies--you're talking the fruit snacks?  (As opposed to the crackers etc.)  Lord help us, I'll have to keep them under lock and key.  And yes to the individual packs of everything--soccer is starting up again soon, plus she has to take a snack to school every day so those are perfect.  And I always keep a couple little bags of Cheez-Its in the diaper bag, because DS and I both a) have a tendency to get hangry, and b) super-love Cheez-Its.

ETA:  is it just me, or with the redesign, did we lose the "6fsn said" etc. at the beginning of the quote boxes?  Nevermind, it's not there when I'm typing, but is there when it posts.  [shrug]
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    Is anyone else seeing the "show previous quotes"?  I like that.
  • 6fsn said:

Yes!  Me too!
  • Cheez-its and applesauce pouches should be the official foods of toddlerhood. 

Oh and also, they have an Asian salad kit that we love at Costco.  

I agree @6fsn about pricing between the 2, but Kirklands is just far and away better quality than Members Mark. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    @heffalump they have the fruit snacks and the bunnies.  We get both.
  • tawillers said:

6fsn said:

Yes!  Me too!
     Where do you see that?
  • Yes, my screen is looking wonky too.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    Last thing, Thursday at 1 pm is prime sample time.  Go check it out tomorrow for lunch.
  • tawillerstawillers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2015
    Conn - see where it says "hide previous quotes"?  If you click it, it will only show my post (what you quoted) and it will say "show previous quotes."

ETA:  Sorry, that's small.

• Costco is awesome. I wandered through there with my mom a couple of weeks ago and was stunned at the gluten free selections. I also found what are legitimately the best veggie burgers I've ever eaten and they were amazingly cheap. I like it better than Sam's.

• I don't have it.  I'm using Chrome. 

Harrumph.  
  • I'm on Chrome too.  Weird.
  • I see it too, and I'm also on Chrome.

• Costco makes an amazing Quinoa salad.

And their diapers/ wipes are made by the same company that makes huggies.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love what other people have said. To add:

- We buy dog food there. It's quality isn't quite on par as the super expensive stuff we used to buy, but it is still very good and way cheaper.

- Home goods. The latest flyer has a thing for a set of 4 melamine bowls with lids for $16. Buy these. I love my set, use them all the time, and will probably buy another set.

- Baked goods. The muffins are huge, and I will buy a variety back, freeze a bunch and take them out as needed.

- Seafood. It is more expensive, but the quality is really good. When they have their "seafood road shows" I will pick up some stuff for the freezer.

- Toliet paper, napkins, kleenex, ziploc bags, saran wrap, aluminum foil, etc.

- Towels.

- Spices. I buy their peppercorns for our grinder and we do sea salt. When DH does meat for the smoker, we'll sometimes get things like cumin or chili powder depending on the recipe.

- Personal goods. Vitamins, shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, hand soap, etc.

- Butter. Costco sells 4 lbs for like $4.50 which is way, way, way cheaper than the grocery store. So I will buy a bunch and freeze it. Cheese is also a pretty good deal near us, but I've been trying to cut back on cheese so I don't get it anymore. Interestingly, milk and eggs are more expensive there than at the regular grocery store.

I do need to make a Costco run soon, and I'm sure I'll buy way more than I need to know because I'll be on the hunt for things.
  • We love the kirkland brand wipes for PF. We've been happy with the store version of prilosec, we really do a lot of the Costco brand stuff and have been quite pleased. Their meats are really good too.
  • (I know I'm not a reg around here but I have to jump in)

If your Costco has a concession stand thing up front, go there and get a damn chicken bake. Half of my trips to cCostco are excuses for me to get a chicken bake and eat the whole damn thing by myself and just be happy about life.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• OK.  Now I need to go get a chicken bake.  I have no dinner plans tonight....Hmmm....

;) 
  • GBCKGBCK member
    *sigh*
    I need a costco.
  • beethery said:

(I know I'm not a reg around here but I have to jump in)

If your Costco has a concession stand thing up front, go there and get a damn chicken bake. Half of my trips to cCostco are excuses for me to get a chicken bake and eat the whole damn thing by myself and just be happy about life.
    I don't now about your Costco but last time I was at ours the concessions are now taking cards! My life is great now.. I always forget cash and am digging quarters out of the bottom of my purse just to get the dog and soda!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • beethery said:

(I know I'm not a reg around here but I have to jump in)

I don't now about your Costco but last time I was at ours the concessions are now taking cards! My life is great now.. I always forget cash and am digging quarters out of the bottom of my purse just to get the dog and soda!
    YES!!! I went on Sunday and I thought... have I been going to church? Is god real? Is he smiling at me by finally convincing someone to put a damn card slider at the concession stand so i can get me a damn chicken bake? Praise be to Costco, hallelujah.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards