Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Please don't take my drink coasters??

Has anybody thought about using these? or Has anybody actually used them at their wedding or seen someone use them, if so how did end up working out?

My fiance and I thought about buying them and setting them out at each place setting and also showing/telling our wedding consultant that we have with our venue about them and also to give the servers a heads up about them as well because when we went to our venues food tasting they also had a wine tasting during the same time, we walked away to get food several times and the servers took our full/half full glasses of wine several time. A glass of wine at our venue is 5-9 dollars depending on the brand maybe more. I want to minimize the amount of servers picking up half full glasses that are still being finished by people going to the bathroom, or through the line for more food or dancing etc or because the drinks are too strong and they are letting them get a little watered down.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Please don't take my drink coasters??

• Options
    I've never seen those used at an actual wedding. I saw them on Pinterest a while back.

When I'm at a wedding, I lay my cocktail napkin over the top of my drink and set it as close to the middle of the table as possible. That usually does the trick.
  • Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I wouldn't use the coasters.  What I would do is express concern about the servers being a little overzealous in picking up glasses when someone is not done drinking.  I understand good service and all but explain that you don't want to waste money on alcohol when people may just be on the dance floor for a bit.
  • Options
    Good in theory, but I doubt they would work like you think they will.

A lot of people will not even bother keeping their drink on the coaster anyway.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Weird, I wouldn't waste the money. Just tell your venue to make sure the servers only remove empty glasses. Have it in writing maybe too, just in case they try to gauge on you on extra costs. 
  • Options
    I'm another vote that it's waste of money.  Knowing myself, I would lose my coaster in about 5 minutes.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I totally read the name of this thread wrong. I thought you were saying you didn't want your guests taking the coasters, lol.

As for the waitstaff taking drips, can you talk to the venue about this?
  • Options
    arrrghmateyarrrghmatey member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015
    I wcouldn't do this. I doubt people will use them, and at every wedding I've been to, the servers were very good about not talking glasses unless they were empty/stacked. You can always run this issue by your venue if you are concerned about guests' drinks being taken away before finished.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

This is just another reason I didn't want a consumption bar. Whether the servers take them or not, people abandon drinks at weddings. Rather than going to look for that half glass of wine, guests just go get another one.

Rather than the coasters, if you expect to pour a lot of wine, why not have servers come around with bottles rather than guests go get glasses? Then the servers can pour smaller glasses so less wine gets wasted. Either way, I agree that I would talk to the staff about not being so zealous in removing drinks that aren't empty.

• Options

This is just another reason I didn't want a consumption bar. Whether the servers take them or not, people abandon drinks at weddings. Rather than going to look for that half glass of wine, guests just go get another one.

Rather than the coasters, if you expect to pour a lot of wine, why not have servers come around with bottles rather than guests go get glasses? Then the servers can pour smaller glasses so less wine gets wasted. Either way, I agree that I would talk to the staff about not being so zealous in removing drinks that aren't empty.

There is table side wine service available at our venue, however we have to pay by the bottle then. Bottles of wine are roughly 15-20-22 and above dollars. The staff will also get other drinks at the bar for people if they don't want wine either. The table side wine service is mainly used if the bride and groom decide to close the bar during dinner service is what our venue said, if I recall correctly. I do know for a fact though that we pay per bottle though which that would get expensive as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    $15-22/bottle is a better deal than $5-9/glass. A bottle of wine has 4-5 glasses, depending on the pour. On a light pour, you could stretch to 6 glasses per bottle.
  • Options
    caitlinmcacaitlinmca member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2015

$15-22/bottle is a better deal than $5-9/glass. A bottle of wine has 4-5 glasses, depending on the pour. On a light pour, you could stretch to 6 glasses per bottle.

Nevermind, I found our list that is by the bottle, and the buying by the bottle the cheapest bottle is 21,22,24,26 dollars then jumps into the 32s and 34s and 40s. My wish is that we could bring in our own wine as we are wine club members at a local winery instead of wine that you can find at grocery stores.

Edit: spelling
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards