Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Seating on a cruise??

My fiance and I are going on a Carnival cruise this upcoming May for our honeymoon and I am TERRIFIED that we will be forced to sit with strangers while we eat our meals!! Is this a thing? Is there seating for just two? I am extremely shy and I know that if I'm forced to sit with strangers I won't be able to enjoy my (then) husband because I'll be thinking "Oh God, oh God, what do I say next??" and "No, no please don't try to talk to me!" LOL. That probably sounds rude, but that's how much I dislike socializing.

Re: Seating on a cruise??

• Options
    Ask your travel agent to request that you have a table for 2. My travel agent asked me how many we wanted at ours.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

There is traditional dining where you are assigned a time and table with other people. You can request a table for 2, but there's no guarantee.

There is 'your time' dining. You go to the dining room anytime during dinner hours, just like a restaurant. The maître d' will ask you if you'd like to share. It's fine to request a table for 2. Some cruise line allow dinner reservations, not sure about Carnival.

Breakfast and lunch are open seating.

• Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Just talk to your travel agent or call Carnival, depending on how you booked and they can request a 2 person table.  It's not a guarantee, however.

...but really, sitting with others isn't that painful.  I've made wonderful friends with tablemates on each of the cruises we've been on.  It's a fun way to socialize on the ship.  The whole "terrified" bit makes me wonder how you function in life.
  • Options
    mlg78 said:

Just talk to your travel agent or call Carnival, depending on how you booked and they can request a 2 person table.  It's not a guarantee, however.

...but really, sitting with others isn't that painful.  I've made wonderful friends with tablemates on each of the cruises we've been on.  It's a fun way to socialize on the ship.  The whole "terrified" bit makes me wonder how you function in life.
    I don't know if that's fair. I don't like meeting strangers at all and the idea of having to sit at a table with them when I'm supposed to be on a vacation makes me very, very uncomfortable. I do it for work because I have to, but it is extremely stressful and not the way I want to spend a vacation. I just want to talk to the people I'm traveling with, frankly. Not everyone finds that kind of socialization "fun" and I'd say the vast majority of introverts feel the same way as the OP to some degree. Can we leave the judgement out of this?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mlg78 said:

Some people have anxiety, and being forced to make chit chat with strangers can be a recipe for disaster. I personally hate forced socialization, especially with some randos on a cruise. No thank you. 
  • Options
    I also hate the forced socialization.  I can get through, but I much prefer a private table with just me and my DH.  I've only been on Princess and Royal Caribbean and both times we requested a table for 2 and always got it.  On Royal, we did the My Time dining.  After the first night I saw a table that was a bit more private than many of the others and I went to the maitre d after dinner and asked if we could have that table.  He said it was ours as long as we came down the same general time each night.  If it's anytime dining, don't be afraid to ask for a specific table.
  • Options
    Our cruise offered private seating for 2, seating for 4, 6, and 8.  Like others said, talk to your agent to make sure your preference is listed.  Also, we didn't always eat with our table, so if you are placed with a group, you can always eat at the buffet instead, for example, or at one of the speciality restaurant.  One night we did the Chef's table, so missed our regular dinner with our table or 8.  

• Options
    Thank y'all so much for the advice! I will definitely be contacting our trip advisor :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards