Snarky Brides
Options

All right, Snarky Brides, how insufferable is our website?

Our wedding website is about to go live, and I just want to post some of the copy to make sure it's not too cheesy or if the humor hits the right notes. I religiously followed that "wedding website" thread from a few weeks ago and while we're not that bad, I just want second and third and fourth opinions. Personal details excluded, of course:

"How We Met"

Ah, April 2009 . . . [I] was at an [college] preview day with her dad, having spent the night with a [college] student the night before (the student was female and it was a program they did called "[college] Experience," get your mind out of the gutter). [FI] was with a group of his classmates from [high school]. Together they toured the campus. [My dad] and [FI] were the only two men of the group, so they competed to get to the door of each building first. The tour ended with a nice lunch of gross [college] cafeteria food (and they were serving us the "good" stuff!) where [FI] and [I] sat across from each other and discussed their English interests and [FI]'s charming smile (or, at least, [I] discussed that with herself, in her head). Like Cinderella and Prince Charming, they parted ways after the lunch without exchanging names or contact information, and plus [I] was in a huge ballgown and was missing a shoe, as you do.

Fast forward to August 2009: [I] was eating lunch with her [freshman orientation] group B (with [orientation leader name], holla!) during freshman orientation when [FI] sat down across from her. They had a moment of recognition and hours(minutes) of riveting conversation before this exchange happened:

[FI]: "Is this [orientation] group H?"
[me]: "This is [orientation] group B."
[FI]: "Oh, whoops! It was nice meeting you guys!"

And so [FI] scurried off, only to have [orientation] groups B and H (shout out to [orientation leader name] as well!) share a bus during a tour around the town of [middle of nowhere town, GA] which culminated in the [orientation] groups playing Red Rover in the town square. Sparks flew between [FI] and [me], as they tend to do during rigorous games of Red Rover between college freshmen. From that moment on, they were inseparable."

Too much text? Third person make you want to barf? I'm being a total AW? Be brutally honest, I wouldn't have posted here if I couldn't take it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: All right, Snarky Brides, how insufferable is our website?

• Options
    Honestly, I rolled my eyes a few times. 
  • Options

I'll be honest, no one gives a shit about the "How We Met" section. If I click on that section and it's any more than about 4 sentences, I close it. 

Understand that, while this is significant and important to the two of you, no one else really cares. Except maybe your parents and best friends. 

This is probably not the reaction you're expecting, but may I just say: phew! What a load of pressure off. I thought people cared, which is . . . well, why I started this thread and wrote the damn novel above.

For potential lurkers, what do you check when you visit a wedding website? Registry, obviously, but accommodations? "Frequently asked questions"?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    swiftsticksswiftsticks member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2015
    How about something simple?

" PrincessGraceKelly and FI met at [school]'s campus in April 2009 [as seniors in high school?]. Fate brought them together again later that year at freshmen orientation over a group mix-up and games of Red Rover. They've been inseparable ever since."

Let your MOH or BM tell the full story during their speeches at your reception. At least one of them will tell your guests how you two met. 

ETA: I'd check a wedding website for venue details, like the menu and the location. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

How about something simple?

" PrincessGraceKelly and FI met at [school]'s campus in April 2009 [as seniors in high school?]. Fate brought them together again later that year at freshmen orientation over a group mix-up and games of Red Rover. They've been inseparable ever since."

Let your MOH or BM tell the full story of how you met during their speeches at your reception. At least one of them will tell your guests how you two met.

To the bolded, I hadn't thought of that, thanks!

• Options
    Actually I like reading the how we met and proposal section. Many times I realize I had no idea and they can be interesting.

I overall liked what you wrote but agree maybe the prince charming and Cinderella stuff is too much. But the story is cute.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I too check the wedding website for details like the venue address, and registry information (although I know some people think registry info on the website is tacky, I find it super helpful as a guest).  I don't read the how we met section, because chances are, if I'm invited to their wedding, I already know how they met.  Same with FI and I... those that know us, know how we met.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    Yup totally threw up in my mouth. Then I saw the kitty and felt better.

• Options
    I agree with others. I do like reading the "How We Met" sections, but only if it is a few sentences. Also, I really don't like the Cinderella and Prince Charming part.....it just seems childish. 

I do want to include the "How we met" section on ours because we have some family members that don't know it and might be interested, but we are keeping it short. We also met in college, so it will be just a quick "They met at X University in 2010, and started dating in 2011. They now live in San Diego." 

• Options
    Honestly?  It was a little much.  I would just keep it short and sweet. 

• Options
    The Cinderella and Prince Charming bit is not the kind of thing most people want to read because it's both too cheesy as as too much like verbal PDA.

Like PPs say, if you need to include a "How We Met" section, which people who don't already know this information probably are not going to care about, keep it short. "Just the facts."
  • Options
    "We met at [college] and got together x years ago."

That's really all you need.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options

Thanks for the input, everyone. After some introspection, I'm not even really sure who this is for, lol. The people close to us know the story by heart. Those who don't certainly wouldn't want to read three paragraphs of it. (FI's uncles who have never met me, for instance, hate both computers and reading.) I think I just wanted to dazzle people with my prose, and a wedding website is not the best avenue for that. I should probably also mention that I was a bit more SS-y when I wrote this a few months ago--"yes, but they will want to read 311 words of OUR love story because WE'RE DIFFERENT!!!!1!!" 

The "Cinderella and Price Charming" thing was supposed to be a joke about how wedding websites always seem to reference fairy tales, but it fell flat and I own up to that.

I will definitely shorten it to three or four sentences, tops. The storytelling can be left to the pre-wedding parties and reception toasts. Thanks for the constructive criticism, I really appreciate it! :)

Yup. I didn't fill out this section because either people already knew, or hey, novel concept, they could ask someone and have a real conversation. I didn't really know who the section would be for.
  • Options
    Another idea to incorporate it.. I just did a brief "About Us" section for the relatives of mine that don't know him and his relatives that don't know me if they are interested.. It's a couple sentences for each and there is a quick sentence in each that says "went to X university where he/she met FI".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I really like reading all sections of the wedding website, honestly.  However, I agree with PP that if any section is more than a few sentences, it seems a little cheesy and eye-rolly.  
  • Options
    I like reading the "how we met" section. I think it's interesting how people meet and what brought them together.  I also definitely read the sections on lodging etc, as well as any general info about the wedding itself. 
  • Options
    Maybe I'm a nerd, but I like to read lame stories (and they kind of all are).  I feel like yours was a little confusing, though.  Also, I will harshly judge poor grammar.  This sums up my thoughts on wedding websites.
  • Options
    chloe97chloe97 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    I have a big family with a lot of younger cousins that I don't keep in great touch with. If they aren't posting their life stories to facebook, then I don't know what's going on in their lives.  I was at my cousins wedding last year and knew literally NOTHING about the bride. After perusing their wedding website, I learned more about their wedding party that I did about the woman actually getting married.  I like information. Short. Concise. To the point information. Don't make me read for more than 2 minutes. Give one paragraph about both of you (where you are from, what you do, what you do for fun, and how you met). Give the address of the ceremony and reception, give me any transportation information, and the room block information. Give me your registry information so I can order you a gift. I don't need your wedding party information, so put that last.But I have to admit I do like reading some humorous paragraphs about the wedding party members.

• Options
    All right, mywedding.com is being a butt so I can't physically update the text, but, here is the revised version:

"[FI] and [me] met as freshmen at [college] back in 2009. [My] parents also met as freshmen at [college] back in 1979 . . . and also got married there. No pressure on [our] children or anything . . ."

That is 100% true and clocks in at three whole sentences, lol.

• Options
    To be honest I only ever hate-read "How We Met" sections. Not that I hate the people getting married! I generally love the people whose wedding I have been invited to, I swear!

But the second I see "How We Met" and/or long, involved bridal party bios, I pretty much start rubbing my hands together in anticipation of some cheesy, bad writing.

I use wedding websites to get directions to the venue and find registry info.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    I don't mind reading About Us and How We Met bios and I believe most people don't mind either.  However, I would keep it short and sweet. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    OP, I think the essence of the story is sweet but it would be way more enjoyable to read if you consider shortening it and taking out all the non-contributory details (the whole thing with orientation group B vs H for example, and verbatim dialogue that just seems to take away from rather than add to the story). Kind of like what @swiftsticks above suggested. Also, personally not a fan of the Cinderella/ Prince Charming allegory (do you have evil step-sisters? Were you "rescued" from a life of misery?) but maybe thats just me. 

Honestly my favorite "how we met" section was on my friend's website and it was basically just a caption under a candid shot-like picture of them that read "This is friend and friend's fiance. They met in a bar". 

BUT, this is a very personal thing, just like taste in clothes etc - not an etiquette breach or anything. May induce eye-rolls, but if you love it, why the hell not!
    - The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 
  • Options
    I love to read the how we met section just because so many people lie and it makes me laugh like those who know you known harm crock of poo this is.
    (Not saying yours is but the majority of people I have read are)
    Keep it short and you will be golden.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards