Moms and Maids

fmil what the heck???

before I met my husband-to-be his mother would not speak to him because of some accusations his ex-girlfriend made about her boyfriend!

fast forward seven years later we announce our engagement, send her an invite and get a letter in the mail from her stating she is not so sure about beginning a relationship with him again since she believes she cannot trust him.

we decide to include her as best we can anyway. she owned a floral shop for many years and we reply to her letter requesting her to be in charge of the flowers if she wishes. we also ask if we can call her on the phone, have lunch etc.

her response is no. no phone calls, no flowers, nothing. she says she will not help him since she feels that helping him out with rent, moving, raising him, all the money she ever spent on him was a waste, enabled him etc. very hurtful things for a son to hear. she might not even come to our wedding. fine, we say, have it your way.

fast forward again three months. she writes us a letter asking what we have done with the flowers for our wedding. we tell her (nicely) too little to late already ordered and paid for. she wants us to cancel that order. again and again we tell her we cannot do that. my dad paid for it. I'm not doing that to him! finally we tell her she can make the center pieces and help with the food. my fiancé is reluctant to let her do anything that has to do with money. he doesn't want to hear about it after the wedding. it hurt him too much to hear about it in those letters. but, she says ok. we have lunch and talk about it. we all agree, everything is fine, we are excited.

one week later. we see one of our mutual friends and she says his mother had contacted her to say she is in charge of all the paper products. what??? I guess she had made this decision on her own. she doesn't even know that we have already purchased half the stuff! she doesn't even know how many guests are coming! she should have talked to us! she doesn't even let us call her on the phone! how are we supposed to communicate about all of this?? my fiancé doesn't want her to pay such a large expense since he knows she will hold it over his head (like she did in all her nasty letters).

the worst part is our mutual friend got dragged into all of this and she is a little old lady who doesn't understand why his mother and him are not just getting along! now this really put a damper on all the wedding plans!

how do I deal with this madness????

Re: fmil what the heck???

• mend0girl said:

before I met my husband-to-be his mother would not speak to him because of some accusations his ex-girlfriend made about her boyfriend!

fast forward seven years later we announce our engagement, send her an invite and get a letter in the mail from her stating she is not so sure about beginning a relationship with him again since she believes she cannot trust him.

we decide to include her as best we can anyway. she owned a floral shop for many years and we reply to her letter requesting her to be in charge of the flowers if she wishes. we also ask if we can call her on the phone, have lunch etc.

her response is no. no phone calls, no flowers, nothing. she says she will not help him since she feels that helping him out with rent, moving, raising him, all the money she ever spent on him was a waste, enabled him etc. very hurtful things for a son to hear. she might not even come to our wedding. fine, we say, have it your way.

fast forward again three months. she writes us a letter asking what we have done with the flowers for our wedding. we tell her (nicely) too little to late already ordered and paid for. she wants us to cancel that order. again and again we tell her we cannot do that. my dad paid for it. I'm not doing that to him! finally we tell her she can make the center pieces and help with the food. my fiancé is reluctant to let her do anything that has to do with money. he doesn't want to hear about it after the wedding. it hurt him too much to hear about it in those letters. but, she says ok. we have lunch and talk about it. we all agree, everything is fine, we are excited.

one week later. we see one of our mutual friends and she says his mother had contacted her to say she is in charge of all the paper products. what??? I guess she had made this decision on her own. she doesn't even know that we have already purchased half the stuff! she doesn't even know how many guests are coming! she should have talked to us! she doesn't even let us call her on the phone! how are we supposed to communicate about all of this?? my fiancé doesn't want her to pay such a large expense since he knows she will hold it over his head (like she did in all her nasty letters).

the worst part is our mutual friend got dragged into all of this and she is a little old lady who doesn't understand why his mother and him are not just getting along! now this really put a damper on all the wedding plans!

how do I deal with this madness????

You communicate by mail?... It appears to have worked in the past, why wouldn't you send her a "cease and desist" letter of sorts telling her thanks but no thanks for the paper products?

And with the little old lady, "I'm not sure why she would say that, but all of that's been covered. So how's your cat/dog/weather/grandkid/children/car/flowers?" whatever to change the subject. You don't have to elaborate with the mutual friend on what happened. If his mother chooses to, that's on her.

• Whatever is going on between your FI and your FMIL, it is between the two of them and I would suggest you not touch that drama with a 1,000-foot pole. Don't discuss any of your wedding plans with her--she can't try to plan something if she doesn't know the details. Do not ask her to help with anything, and do not accept any help from her, whether it be money or her time. Just send her an invite to the wedding and that's that.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I want to help, but I can't get past the notion that you wanted her to do flowers after her response to an invitation was "I don't think I want a relationship with my son because I can't trust him."

Is she mentally well? If so, I'd be VERY concerned about her concerns.

• She replied to your engagement by saying she didn't trust her son and wasn't sure about their relationship, and your response was "Great, can you do the flowers?"?!

Yeah....you guys were out of line asking for that.  And if she's held things over his head before, why would you want her to contribute? 

Call her and let her know that everything is taken care of and you look forward to seeing her at the wedding. 

• so true ladies. it was a bad idea to ask her to help with the flowers. very bad! now I see it from a different perspective. we opened the door for her to screw with us. thanks for the replies.
  • edited March 2015
    I still don't understand why you and your FI asked her to be involved at all. With anything. This makes no sense to me.

Maybe this mutual friend misunderstood her?

There's a lot of drama happening here and you and your FI are feeding into it.
  • edited March 2015

She replied to your engagement by saying she didn't trust her son and wasn't sure about their relationship, and your response was "Great, can you do the flowers?"?!

^^This^^ one thousand times.

Send her a message, 'Sorry for the misunderstanding. We have all the paper products for the wedding. There's no need for you  to order them from X. Thank you for thinking of us." I have a bad feeling that you shouldn't rely on FMIL for the food and centerpieces. While it would not* be a horrible thing to be missing centerpieces, you should have a back up plan for the food.

From here on, you should respect fi's wishes in regards to his relationship with his mother. I have a feeling you were trying to 'fix' their relationship. Bad idea. There is a history, there, that has nothing to do with you. Let them work it out if and when they are ready.

edit*

• so true ladies. it was a bad idea to ask her to help with the flowers. very bad! now I see it from a different perspective. we opened the door for her to screw with us. thanks for the replies.

I think your FI should write his mother back (so weird, she won't even talk to him on the phone), he should tell her thanks but no thanks for the offers to assist with the wedding.  If FI wants to work on the relationship with his mom, then it should be without the promise of money to help pay for the wedding.  Right now, it could seem to her that her son is only talking to her because she agreed to buy x for the wedding.  FI should tell her, if he agrees, that he is more interested in a relationship with her than a check from her.

• I think some more background information would make this story a lot easier to understand.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The first thing I would want to know is what happened that was so awful that your FI's mother refuses to speak with him (other than via letter)? Sorry, but if she is THAT mad because his ex-gf said something bad about FMIL's ex-boyfriend (did I get that right?), there might be something real wrong with her. That does not seem like a normal, or logical reaction to that scenario. If she is mentally healthy, then what the heck actually happened?

But more to what you want to know... I'd say "Thank you for offering to help with X,Y,Z, but we have everything covered and would just love to see you at the wedding."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards