Chit Chat

NWR: Tipping for a bang trim

I finally decided I can't stand growing out my bangs any longer and scheduled a trim for tomorrow afternoon. My stylist does complimentary bang trims but I still feel like I should tip her something. What's the appropriate/expected amount to tip for this?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Tipping for a bang trim

• I'd always tip $5 when I needed a bang trim. Not sure why. Just sounded like a good number to me. My haircuts usually cost around $40.

• I typically tip $5 as well. Either that or I give them a bigger tip when I come in for my regular haircut.
  • Wow, I don't even tip $5 on a $20 haircut.

• I say $5 is good.   You should always tip your hairstylist well, because they're one of those people you don't want to piss off.   Plus, if you treat your stylist well, they'll throw in little extras later.   
  • +1 for $5.

In my mind, free bang trim = she deserves a latte at Starbucks.  Or whatever her pick-me-up equivalent is.
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    My bang trim costs $8.xx, so I just round it up to $10.  It's about $1.64 or something.  She fits me in while another client is getting dye/highlights and they have to sit and wait.  I've started, carefully, trimming my own bangs cos I just don't have time to get in to have her do it.  She always cuts them shorter than I like too

ETA - yup, I'd agree with $5 for a free trim.  

• LtPowers said:

Wow, I don't even tip $5 on a $20 haircut.

You don't exactly have a point here, do you? 
    I was merely surprised at the size of the tip. But perhaps it's actually the lack of charge that prompts a tip higher than it would normally be?

• What does Miss Manners say about that?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • scoettoscoetto member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2015

What does Miss Manners say about that?

Miss Manners told me to pour one for my homies. So I did.

• LtPowers said:

LtPowers said:

Wow, I don't even tip $5 on a $20 haircut.

You don't exactly have a point here, do you? 
    I was merely surprised at the size of the tip. But perhaps it's actually the lack of charge that prompts a tip higher than it would normally be?

... that's not higher though. I tip $20 on a $100 haircut/highlight.

• Who even has bangs anymore? image
  • Holy huge. What did you do to The Knot, The Knot?
  • Who even has bangs anymore? image

Why you gotta be so rude? Don't you know I'm human too?
  • I did not read the very last word in the title at first and thought it was so polite of you to tip a hooker!

But this makes more sense. I'd also do $5. I usually tip $5-$10 on my haircut that's $30.
  • edited March 2015
    $5 is absolutely a fair tip for a bang trim. Especially if it's no-charge.

I honestly could not imagine giving a stylist less than $5 on a $20 haircut. I try to give 30% on anything cosmetic I have done (haircuts, waxes, nails, tattoos). If I can't give that, I don't get them. If they aren't good at what they do, I don't go back.

(I tip Bro 50% but that is outrageously unreasonable for non-family.)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • $5 is absolutely a fair tip for a bang trim. Especially if it's no-charge.

I honestly could not imagine giving a stylist less than $5 on a $20 haircut. I try to give 30% on anything cosmetic I have done (haircuts, waxes, nails, tattoos). If I can't give that, I don't get them. If they aren't good at what they do, I don't go back.

(I tip Bro 50% but that is outrageously unreasonable for non-family.)

Seriously. My haircuts are usually 50, and I usually tip 15.

• Wasn't there a time when standard tips were 15%-20%? What changed?
  • LtPowers said:

Wasn't there a time when standard tips were 15%-20%? What changed?

5 dollars on 20 dollars is 20%. What do you tip on a 20 dollar haircut, 3 dollars? That seems low for someone cutting your hair. 

• LtPowers said:

5 dollars on 20 dollars is 20%. What do you tip on a 20 dollar haircut, 3 dollars? That seems low for someone cutting your hair. 
    ...$5 is 25%. $4 is 20%. Not to be a stickler.

I personally feel like the person responsible for keeping my hot mess of hair nice and tidy should get a better tip.
  • LtPowers said:

$3 might be a bit low on $20; my haircuts are usually closer to $16-$18, so I tip $3. I used to tip $3 when cuts were $11, which I thought was quite generous. I guess I should up it to $4 now that prices have gone up.  =)
  • LtPowers said:

LtPowers said:

$3 might be a bit low on $20; my haircuts are usually closer to $16-$18, so I tip $3. I used to tip $3 when cuts were $11, which I thought was quite generous. I guess I should up it to $4 now that prices have gone up.  =)
    $3 is what I generally tip on my $10 eyebrow waxes, so I'd say that $3 on $11 was fair, if s/he didn't do a fantabulous job.
  • huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015

LtPowers said:

...$5 is 25%. $4 is 20%. Not to be a stickler.

I personally feel like the person responsible for keeping my hot mess of hair nice and tidy should get a better tip.

Whoops you're right. I swear I can do math :)

• LtPowers said:

LtPowers said:

Seriously??  I pay about $70 and I don't colour/highlight.  That's pretty standard here for a regular salon.  Gotta start going where you go maybe

• LtPowers said:

LtPowers said:

Seriously??  I pay about $70 and I don't colour/highlight.  That's pretty standard here for a regular salon.  Gotta start going where you go maybe

I think mine would be about $40-50 for just a cut. I've never seen these mystical sub-$20 haircuts. I'll have to see next time, since I've gone back to my natural color while Tidbit is cooking.

• There's a place by me that does $20 haircuts. But that's all they do - cut your hair. Shampooing is extra. Blow-drying is extra. Styling is extra. I only go there when I'm desperate. The place I usually go is all the way in Chinatown. It's $35 (cash only) for a haircut that includes shampooing, conditioning, 10-minute scalp massage, cut, dry, and style. The stylists are meticulous, so I've spent upwards of an hour in the chair having my hair done exactly the way I wanted. It is worth every penny. And then I tip $5 to the shampoo guy and $10 to the stylist. $50 is a small price to have the perfect bouncy, shiny layers that I love!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• LtPowers said:

LtPowers said:

As an adult, I can't imagine handing another adult $3 as a thank you.

For some fun, check out http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/nwr-tipping-when-out-with-friends-fh-drives-me-nuts/9853543c6165019a.html

Through the whole thread I vacillated between loss of hope for humanity and faith restored.

Anniversary

• LtPowers said:

LtPowers said:

For some fun, check out http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/nwr-tipping-when-out-with-friends-fh-drives-me-nuts/9853543c6165019a.html

Through the whole thread I vacillated between loss of hope for humanity and faith restored.

Question re: bolded - if it's an appropriate percentage on the service? Like, if I'm only paying $10 for whatever service, and my standard tip percentage is 30%, then that equals $3. I am honestly asking, not trying to be argumentative.

• LtPowers said:

LtPowers said:

Question re: bolded - if it's an appropriate percentage on the service? Like, if I'm only paying $10 for whatever service, and my standard tip percentage is 30%, then that equals $3. I am honestly asking, not trying to be argumentative.
    Yeah, if it's a tip for 2 drinks or a sandwich? Totally fine.

• LtPowers said:

LtPowers said:

I'm curious where you live that haircuts are so reasonable!  Although I think that's what my husband pays, so if you're a male, that makes sense to me.

OP - I think $5 tip for a free bang trim is perfect.  FTR, I tip 20% on all salon services.  Most commonly I'm getting a cut and color and it costs me about $100.  That's for the cheapest, nicest salon near me.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards