Snarky Brides

Re: Offbeat Bride strikes again!

• No no no no no. And the trying to be cute about it just makes it even more cringeworthy ("we're sure you have good taste," we "promise" not to use any of your money on our dress, suits, etc.). Just awful.
  • The combo of ALL CAPS + font was really difficult to read. Never mind the excessive verbiage and etiquette fails.

I think this is the best example of how not to invite people to a celebration.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There is nothing good about these invites.  They're too wordy, too obnoxious, and too covered in a font that looks like a middle school girl's handwriting.  And a festival wedding, ugh!  I just feel like that's so strange and narcissistic in a way.

And I couldn't agree more with sylveonplath. 
  • Ew! It just reeks of rude and self entitlement! No way would I attend!
  • edited March 2015
    Casadena said:

This makes my heart happy...

This is disgusting and so full of etiquette blunders it makes me sick. Talk about material and unnecessary gift-buying…. Gifts are never required at a wedding. Period. Planning something so far outside your means as "gift" for your guests (which is what the reception is; a thank you to all your guests for witnessing your ceremony) is about as materialistic as it gets.

Congrats on the marriage though.

Interesting... I left a similar comment that disappeared after "awaiting moderation" that I assumed was deleted for being too critical. I don't see this one though, so maybe my I need to clear my cache? Regardless, I'm glad someone got to point out the purpose of a reception and why it's so rude to ask your guests to pay for it.

ETA: "congrats on the marriage though" is my favorite snarky sign off to these kind of posts, on TK or anywhere else.
  • hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015
    @mikenberger @sylveonplath Unfortunately, any comments that remotely disagree with OBB are seen as "SOOO negative!!" "Positive vibes only guys!!"

Some comments may start out bad but they'll ultimately agree or they will be deleted.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Offbeat is one thing but inviting people to fund a reception for a wedding you don't even want is the epitome of greed and materialism.
  • mklammklam member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    Ugh. I kept reading hoping that there would be a 'Just Kidding' or some saving grace at the end. Nope.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I can't understand how people think that being "offbeat" gives them permission to be shitty hosts.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I also used to love OBB. But they are hella tacky.

You can be offbeat and untradiational without being rude as fuck.

Anniversary
  • Comments for this article are now closed. Guess it got too heated.

Another gem from OBB: How to Tell your family that Wedding will be adults-only or better titled, "How to Write a Long Winded email to your Guests Instead of Addressing an Invitation Properly and Dealing with any Issues like an Adult".

The Real Weddings are just about the only thing I enjoy on that site anymore. Everything else is just ugh....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Comments for this article are now closed. Guess it got too heated.

Another gem from OBB: How to Tell your family that Wedding will be adults-only or better titled, "How to Write a Long Winded email to your Guests Instead of Addressing an Invitation Properly and Dealing with any Issues like an Adult".

The Real Weddings are just about the only thing I enjoy on that site anymore. Everything else is just ugh....
    With this addendum: "At Offbeat Bride, we're keenly aware that wedding crowdfunding is a contentious topic, and won't feel like a fit for many (or even most) readers. Our goal is to share wedding options that have worked for some folks, in the hopes that other folks can benefit from them — even if that benefit is just a sense of clarity about what won't work for them. Here's to variety!"

I suppose like @southernbelle0915 said, what matters is if something has "worked" for an offbeat couple, not if it was rude as hell or ridiculously entitled.
  • mklam said:

Ugh. I kept reading hoping that there would be a 'Just Kidding' or some saving grace at the end. Nope.
    Seriously... when she said "we made a poem" I honestly thought (or hoped, I guess?) that it was all a huge joke... because after that long-winded plea for money was an even longer poem asking for money -_-  (does no one realize that making it rhyme only makes it more disgusting?) Whatever happened to simply throwing a wedding within your budget?  Or, you know, waiting until you can afford what you want instead of making your guests pay for the party you want.
  • This makes me ragey. I might unfollow OBB on FB because I'm sick of seeing their awful articles on my newsfeed. Like others have said, being offbeat does not give you the OK to be a rude asshole.

• This makes me ragey. I might unfollow OBB on FB because I'm sick of seeing their awful articles on my newsfeed. Like others have said, being offbeat does not give you the OK to be a rude asshole.

I plan on unfollowing. Even worse, a FB friend "Liked" their post! Gross :(

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• This is terrible. FI and I toyed with a lot of "offbeat" ideas, including considering a summer camp wedding. We are incorporating some nerdy elements, and I was so excited when I first heard about OBB to hopefully get some ideas. But when I realized almost every post advocates for not treating guests properly, I noped out of there and decided to hang out on TK instead. 

• Casadena said:

This makes my heart happy...

This is disgusting and so full of etiquette blunders it makes me sick. Talk about material and unnecessary gift-buying…. Gifts are never required at a wedding. Period. Planning something so far outside your means as "gift" for your guests (which is what the reception is; a thank you to all your guests for witnessing your ceremony) is about as materialistic as it gets.

Congrats on the marriage though.

Interesting... I left a similar comment that disappeared after "awaiting moderation" that I assumed was deleted for being too critical. I don't see this one though, so maybe my I need to clear my cache? Regardless, I'm glad someone got to point out the purpose of a reception and why it's so rude to ask your guests to pay for it.

ETA: "congrats on the marriage though" is my favorite snarky sign off to these kind of posts, on TK or anywhere else.
    I do believe they took down Dean's comment too.  I hate that site.
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    I clicked on the link when OP first posted it, and then closed it and didn't comment because in my early morning stupor I was misguidedly optimistic it was a hoax because I refuse to live in a world where people are this stupid, entitled, and rude.

It makes me all kinds of ragey that their explanation for getting engaged was for the SOLE PURPOSE of having this party that they can't afford.  It wasn't even a joke.  I kept waiting for the punchline thinking they were not just admitting to that, but they were.

Then, it made me ragey all over again when I saw on the bottom of what I assume was their response card, a place for people to write their bank routing and account numbers?  Yeah, let me just supply you with that to use at your whim and then let you lose it or not dispose of it properly.  That part still gives me hope that this is a prank, because again I refuse to believe that people that stupid, entitled, and rude exist.
  • jacques27 said:

I clicked on the link when OP first posted it, and then closed it and didn't comment because in my early morning stupor I was misguidedly optimistic it was a hoax because I refuse to live in a world where people are this stupid, entitled, and rude.

It makes me all kinds of ragey that their explanation for getting engaged was for the SOLE PURPOSE of having this party that they can't afford.  It wasn't even a joke.  I kept waiting for the punchline thinking they were not just admitting to that, but they were.

Then, it made me ragey all over again when I saw on the bottom of what I assume was their response card, a place for people to write their bank routing and account numbers?  Yeah, let me just supply you with that to use at your whim and then let you lose it or not dispose of it properly.  That part still gives me hope that this is a prank, because again I refuse to believe that people that stupid, entitled, and rude exist.

I saw that too and thought: Seriously? Who would be stupid enough to give that information to someone?
  • The bank account thing is what horrified me more than anything. WHO PUTS THAT ON AN INVITE? That you're sending to dozens, maybe hundreds of people?!

I would seriously call up that couple if I got an invite like that and give them an earful about identity safety and crap. That's so concerning to me.
  • rcher912 said:

The bank account thing is what horrified me more than anything. WHO PUTS THAT ON AN INVITE? That you're sending to dozens, maybe hundreds of people?!

I would seriously call up that couple if I got an invite like that and give them an earful about identity safety and crap. That's so concerning to me.
    To be fair, it looks like that's actually THEIR transfer info that was blurred out for posting on the web (you can tell if you look closely.) At least they're only being idiotic with their own info.
  • edited June 2015
  • edited June 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards