Chit Chat

Name Rant

2»

Re: Name Rant

• My last name has double letters that do not affect the pronunciation in any way, shape or form, and there are many people who have this last name with single letters, so my last name getting misspelled doesn't really bother me at all, although I will correct people.
  • beethery said:

levioosa said:

I don't mind a misspelling.  It's an honest mistake.  What I do mind is when people arbitrarily decide they don't like your name or the way it's spelled so they misspell or mispronounce it on purpose.  It happened to me at my last job.  "Oh, that's not actually my name.  My name is X." 

"Well, I prefer Y.  I'm going to call you Y."  Wtf? 

One of our employee's last name is pronounced buh-______. He pronounces it that way, his kids pronounce it that way, his extended family pronounces it that way. His wife pronounces it BEE-______ and NOBODY KNOWS WHY. Apparently she always has and even the employee just goes, "Honestly, I have no idea why the fuck she says it like that. We've been together for 25 years and my grandmother corrected her about it, but she still says it BEE-______."

People are fucking weird with last names for some reason.
    Whatever, Bread.
    I prefer the time when someone seriously thought my name was Death. Bread just isn't as sinister.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• i always get miss pronounced and get called lemon.  
  • LadyMillilLadyMillil member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    I prefer the time when someone seriously thought my name was Death. Bread just isn't as sinister. 

ETF BOX

Awesome.

Anniversary
  • I must mumble at work when I answer the phone. My first name is Amanda, but a lot of the time people are calling me Anita or Rita or Ruth Anne.

My maiden name was constantly misspelled. It's not hard. They would just forget a couple letters. I would always correct them. 2 Ls 2 Ts bitch.
    Checks from my bank account came in misspelled and I was like fuck no. I did not just drop $30 on something with my name misspelled. The correct spelling was right in front of you when you ordered them!
    Anniversary

• scribe95 said:

Typos happen. I can't imagine being upset by it and I would never actually point it out to someone. As long as you are human I'm sure you have spelled something wrong or keyed something wrong along the way. 

They had trouble finding my name tag because they were looking in the wrong spot, which brought my attention to it right away. If I had noticed on my way to the first session I wouldn't have gone back to say anything. My example isn't great, but in reality there are a lot of names that were between real name and typo name. When they handed it to me I was like "Oh, the name is spelled wrong". That lead to organizer saying it must have been my mistake, but I had my registration in my hand so I knew I had spelled it right. 

It's annoying that it's spelled wrong (seriously, copy and paste from the registration form) and I felt like it would make me seem unprofessional, but no one has noticed so far. 

Anniversary
  • My first name is Leigh pronounced Lee.  I constantly get called Leah by people who don't know me. 

I wrote an e-mail (which my name was spelled correctly all over) and in responding the guy addressed me as Leah.

It doesn't annoy me at all (it's actually kind of amusing).  It's just so confusing!  I've been called Leah practically my whole life by strangers but I just. don't. get it. *shrugs* :)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• twoleighs said:

My first name is Leigh pronounced Lee.  I constantly get called Leah by people who don't know me. 

I wrote an e-mail (which my name was spelled correctly all over) and in responding the guy addressed me as Leah.

It doesn't annoy me at all (it's actually kind of amusing).  It's just so confusing!  I've been called Leah practically my whole life by strangers but I just. don't. get it. *shrugs* :)
    @twoleighs, would you be my evil name twin? :) My name is Leah and I'm constantly called Leigh (and Mia sometimes too)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So I have a fantastically annoying name story.

One year, I took a summer job at McDonald's. I spent a little over two months there. I hated it in large part because of management. (Well. In part.)

This one shift leader, the one I always worked with, called me Catherine. My name is not Catherine. It is Kaitlyn (but spelled differently). Now, yes, it is a wee bit similar. And I corrected her several times, politely, saying that that was not my name.

She still called me Catherine.

Finally, I got fed up and refused to answer her. She got pissed and came right next to me and treated me like I was dumb. I said, "I'm sorry, but Catherine is not my name. I will not respond to it."

She said, "I manage thirty people. Do you expect me to remember everyone's name?"

I said, "Yes, I think as a manager you should make it a point to remember your staff's names."

I am thankful she did not have the power to fire me on the spot. I'm also thankful I had an excuse to quit a few days later, when I wound up being scheduled on a day and time I had repeatedly said I would be unavailable (for the third time in two months).
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I wish I could find a gif of Will & Grace when Jack says "Claire? Hmmmm I don't like Claire. We will now refer to her as Bettina." lol

• I've competed 3 time at the World Championships.  Each time my name on my athlete accreditation tag was spelled wrong.  Changing an I to a L or similar.  It's like I've never really been there as me.  :(  

• scribe95 said:

Typos happen. I can't imagine being upset by it and I would never actually point it out to someone. As long as you are human I'm sure you have spelled something wrong or keyed something wrong along the way. 

Yes typos happen, but at a professional conference her name tag should be correct. This is not a Starbucks cup or an email. It's also completely unprofessional for the staff working to say she must have spelled it wrong. Have you ever had someone tell you you must have spelled your own name wrong? It's infuriating.

My first middle and last name have multiple spellings. My first name is a common name with an uncommon spelling, my middle name can be spelled two different ways, both equally common. My last name can have multiple spellings. 

In high school my grad announcements had my first, middle, and last name spelled wrong. And the admin had the audacity to say I must have spelled my name wrong on the form. I should have been snotty and said, "yes I graduated at the top of my class but I spelled my own name wrong", but I didn't. Anyway, they ordered me new ones so whatever, but she just should have apologized for the mistake.

Typos and honest mistakes are not worth getting upset about, yes. But when people are lazy and spell names wrong that are right in front of their face, it's annoying. I also would not wear a name tag where my name is spelled wrong.

OP since it was only your married name that was wrong, I would have found a sticker or something to put over the misspelled last name. Then you could just go by your maiden name for the conference.

• My name is super common, but you'd be surprised how often I get asked to spell it out, otherwise I end up with all sorts of weird spellings.  Now I just say, "Armstrong; you know, like the astronaut and the disgraced cyclist?"  Seriously, how do people not know how to spell that one?

The amusing thing though, because I didn't change my name, is that everything I booked in Australia resulted in DH being referred to as Mr. Armstrong.  I'm actually trying to convince him to change his name.  He goes through periods of being receptive to it, but sure it's never going to happen.
  • I can't wait to get FI's last name. Four letters super easy, I spent my life bouncing back and forward between my mom's seemingly easy polish last name and my step dads insanely hard last polish only one vowel last name.
  • KytchynWitcheKytchynWitche member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    Okay, so I'm gonna use my real maiden name here, because I can't think of another one to use as an example. So don't stalk me, y'all!

My maiden name was Urban. As in Development/Warfare/Terrorism etc. Well, the U sound can also be made by E, and I, so I've had Erwin, Irwin, and Irving (and yes, strangely, Berlin as well). The A sound can be made (or at least approximated) by E, I, U, and Y... so basically every possible variant with those (with and without the wrong initial vowel). I've even gotten Arban. I have no idea how. Basically, people just play pin the tail on the donkey with the vowels in my maiden name. My mom always say "like Durban, but without the D" and that helps most of the time, but we've also gotten a fair amount of D'Urban. Add the pronunciation scheme particular to natives of this fair and beautous land, and I used to get a lot of "Leeze Ehben".

DH's last name is a hyphenate of two fairly common British surnames, the first of which is also a fairly common first name. eg Duncan-Smith. Everyone, EVERYONE, including people who DH has known since for 2/3 of his life, likes to change Smith to Smithe. And Duncan gets its fair share of malformations too. And then you try to book a table, or make an appointment, and when you get there it's under Smith instead of Duncan-Smith, because "We thought Duncan was your first name". DH's surname is on the buzzer for our apartment, and people (hawkers and beggars mostly) buzz and go "Hello Duncan, blahblah", even when it is clearly a woman answering the buzz.

I just figure I'm never gonna win on the surname front, so whatever. As long as I can figure out that they mean me, I'm cool.

ETF: clarity
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • I have a simple 5 letter last name and will be exchanging it for a much more complicated last name. My students (third graders- about 8 years old) ask what my new name was going to be. I told them what is was and how to spell it. Most kids asked if they could just call me Mrs. G and a few decided that since my last name is so much easier FI should change his instead. 
  • I have a simple 5 letter last name and will be exchanging it for a much more complicated last name. My students (third graders- about 8 years old) ask what my new name was going to be. I told them what is was and how to spell it. Most kids asked if they could just call me Mrs. G and a few decided that since my last name is so much easier FI should change his instead. 

DH is Mr. WinstonsGirl at my school.  I didn't change my name and it was much easier to call him by my last name with the students than explaining who he was/different names.  He finds it kinda funny

• I have a very Slovak last name that no one can spell or pronounce. 

And for some reason Sophie is hard for people. 'Soffi' makes my eye twitch.
  • My maiden name is a common male name, so I never had any issue with that.  My married last name is a famous one, but J has always presented it by saying it and then immediately spelling it, so I've fallen into that as well.

My first name is fairly common as well, but there are about fifty million ways to spell it.  I DON'T spell it with an 'e' on the end, but my former supervisor has never NOT spelled it with an e, despite my signing my emails with it properly spelled.  Whatever, it's been spelled wrong all my life, but when you look at it in an email and then immediately spell it differently, it starts to rankle.

Plus, we're police.  Attention to detail is a job requirement, dude.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • My first name is Courtney. Fairly common, right? Yet 9 times out of 10 I get called Brittany on the phone. And once in a while by coworkers that I've worked with for 3 years.

My last name is a very common and easy to spell adjective. FI's last name is not common whatsoever and there are a lot of vowels, which manages to confuse people. It's 6 letters and I usually have to spell it three times before they get it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Heh, obviously the explanation is you misspelling your name.

My married name is a pain but I do get a kick out of how it terrifies people when they attempt to spell it.  it's really not that bad as Polish names go.  I often offer to write it out.  The fact that I always need to spell out both my name and my address gets to be a pain though; when we go house shopping if it is on a simply named street that would be a major selling point. 

I needed a W2 from a company last year and changed my address too. I told them and spelled out that I lived in Bemidji.  They got Bemibia.  They made up a brand new zip code for it too, even though there is no such place as Bemibia. 
  • yogapantsyogapants member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    FiancB said:Heh, obviously the explanation is you misspelling your name.
    My married name is a pain but I do get a kick out of how it terrifies people when they attempt to spell it.  it's really not that bad as Polish names go.  I often offer to write it out.  The fact that I always need to spell out both my name and my address gets to be a pain though; when we go house shopping if it is on a simply named street that would be a major selling point
    I needed a W2 from a company last year and changed my address too. I told them and spelled out that I lived in Bemidji.  They got Bemibia.  They made up a brand new zip code for it too, even though there is no such place as Bemibia. 

********quote boxes would be great - TK is the only forum I've ever been a member of that has an issue with this********

My parents keep running into this problem. They just sold their house on Lanes End Drive - good luck not having
    every single person ever hear that as "Lands End" and just ignore the Drive part completely. The house they bought follows this format: CommonMaleFirstName SingleLetter Court, which is even worse because of that single letter. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards