Wedding Reception Forum

Wedding quilt for guestbook

My future Step-MIL is purchasing us a wedding quilt to use as a guestbook.  What this is is literally squares of fabric that your guests write a message on and after the wedding the bride and groom send it to a seamstress to be made into a quilt.   Has anyone ever done this at a wedding?  How well did it go?  How large of a table should we have?  Any special considerations to note?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding quilt for guestbook

• My future Step-MIL is purchasing us a wedding quilt to use as a guestbook.  What this is is literally squares of fabric that your guests write a message on and after the wedding the bride and groom send it to a seamstress to be made into a quilt.   Has anyone ever done this at a wedding?  How well did it go?  How large of a table should we have?  Any special considerations to note?

Not at a wedding, but we did this at a baby shower last year.  The main thing I would suggest is checking the fabric markers ahead of time - write all over something and then throw it in the washing machine.  Some of our fabric markers worked pretty well, some left only the faintest traces after being washed and dried.  Also, not everyone is going to make one, so plan on undesigned squares in between the designed ones.  We had 40-50 people at this shower and we ended up with under 20 squares designed.

• A friend's coworkers did this for one of them that was getting married. Quilter in the group handed out squares of fabric and asked everyone to create a block. I helped my friend applique a Rose of Sharon design (bride's name is Sharon) for her block. We put a respectable amount of time into it. Some of the other ladies embroidered designs or wrote messages in indelible markers on their squares. Some of those messages were raunchy. The bride thought it was hilarious. My friend was upset that she wasted her time on her block. The quilt couldn't be displayed at the wedding as originally planned.

Right now, I have a request for fabric for a baby quilt. I'm over this kind of project.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards