Wedding Reception Forum

Video Guest Book

Hello ladies,

I'm getting married on June 27th and I have started to really dive into the details.  I was thinking about foregoing the traditional guestbook and having a video guest book instead.   Has anybody ever done this before?  My videographer said he could set up a video camera. 

I'm thinking that coctail hour would be an appropriate time to have a sort of booth or just seated area set up.  I have heard of people having question jars where guests pull a question and then answer the question (i.e. what is one piece of advice you have for [B and G]?  What's your favorite memory with the [B and G]?)   Do you think a question jar is the way to go or just let people say what they want?  Or do you think I should go with a more traditional guest book because this might cause social anxiety?  I would say most of the group I am inviting is very extroverted.  My family is borderline zainy.  

I appreciate the help and advice!

Re: Video Guest Book

• I think it's a know your crowd thing, but you need to consider the minority even if most of your family would be okay.  Social anxiety isn't the only aspect.  Some people just don't like being photographed, let alone recorded.  Some people may be self-conscious about their looks, or the sound of their voice on a recording.  As long as people don't feel pressured to do it and it remains completely optional, I think that would be fine (but then you also have to be fine that you may not get everyone in attendance to participate and end up missing people).  I've had the situation where I had a videographer approach me to give "words of advice" or a "message" and it really put me on the spot, was ridiculously awkward, and was 90 seconds of gibberish that I'm reasonably certain got edited out of the final product.  Which is also why I would recommend not having people pull questions while on camera - some people are good on the spot, but some people need time to process before they want to answer.

If you really want to do this, I would also have a book set up and give people the option to either write or record the video.
  • As a guest, I wouldn't participate in any video messages.
  • I'm not a fan. My brother and SIL had their videographer go around trying to get all the guests to give messages. Some people don't like having microphones shoved in their faces; others may not like being interrupted while they're eating, drinking, talking, dancing, or whatever; and still others may get overlooked because they're out of the room, on the dance floor, at the bar, or just not available to give a message.
  • I've seen these before. Both as a guest and then a friend who did it showed me her video. The best word I can use to describe it is AWKWARD.

Super awkward. What about a compromise? Have a photobooth and let people glue in their photos strips to your guest book and write their message next to it.
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm one of those people that hide from video cameras at weddings. And at any type of event, honestly. So this isn't something I'd participate in. 
  • Seeing as I rarely even sign the guest book when I go to weddings, I would not be participating in a video one.

I find being videoed to be completely awkward and uncomfortable.  And besides saying "congrats!" what exactly am I supposed to say?  Also, how often are you actually going to watch this thing? My guest book was a wooden chest that people signed.  It is sitting on the floor of our family room. Besides when I dust it do you know how often I look at it?  Pretty much never.

• I'm one of those people that hide from video cameras at weddings. And at any type of event, honestly. So this isn't something I'd participate in. 

Ditto this.  A photobooth is a better idea, if you want pictures of your guests like that. 

• Even if I didn't find it awkward, which I do, I keep wondering how long it would take. With a typical guest book, guests write their names and maybe a message, then they move on. With this, depending on the size of your guest list, it could take a really long time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards