Chit Chat
Options

Netflixing Friends

So I couldn't find the thread about rewatching Friends on Netflix. I'm binge watching and I'm on season 8. When Joey mentioned at Monica and Chandler's wedding to look out for his movie coming out in 2002 it made me look into the time frame that these episodes were being filmed and season 8 was 2001-2002. Season 8 premiered a couple weeks after 9/11. They make no mention of it, but they are wearing FDNY shirts often. Anyone else find this odd considering that it's based in New York?
Anniversary

Re: Netflixing Friends

• Options

So I couldn't find the thread about rewatching Friends on Netflix. I'm binge watching and I'm on season 8. When Joey mentioned at Monica and Chandler's wedding to look out for his movie coming out in 2002 it made me look into the time frame that these episodes were being filmed and season 8 was 2001-2002. Season 8 premiered a couple weeks after 9/11. They make no mention of it, but they are wearing FDNY shirts often. Anyone else find this odd considering that it's based in New York?

Odd that they didn't mention 9/11. No I don't find that odd. Friends is a comedy. There was nothing funny about 9/11. I'm sure they did a clip at the end of one of the episodes, dedicated to the heroes of NY or something.

• Options

Odd that they didn't mention 9/11. No I don't find that odd. Friends is a comedy. There was nothing funny about 9/11. I'm sure they did a clip at the end of one of the episodes, dedicated to the heroes of NY or something.
    Good point. I didn't think of it like that. I did look back at the end of S 8 E 1 and it does dedicate it to the people of New York City.
    Anniversary

• Options
    jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    I think lots of sitcoms didn't address it.  Most stations delayed the start of the fall tv season due to the events and for months there were scrolling newsfeeds on the bottom nearly every station and break news interruptions.  Sitcoms, more so than most other television genres, are about a bit of escapism and finding humor in life.  There was no humor to be had there and I don't think we needed our sitcoms to insert it into their plotlines because it was already everywhere.

Plus, most television shows start filming for fall around July, so they likely had several months of episodes already in the can when this happened, which would have meant significant rewrites and reshoots to incorporate it or addressing it several months later (for the viewers).  I know they did rework their opening sequence to feature the towers less prominently in seasons 8-10 though.
  • Options
    What Jacques said.

• Options
    This was common on a lot of NY based shows. I remember them dedicating that episode to NY. I believe SATC also made no mention of 9/11 but also made mention of it in the credits.
  • Options

This was common on a lot of NY based shows. I remember them dedicating that episode to NY. I believe SATC also made no mention of 9/11 but also made mention of it in the credits.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

They omitted the towers from the opening credits. I think there was also an episode with a passing reference to the fdny.

• Options
    So weird that I was just thinking about this the other day. I'm re-watching as well but I'm only on season 5. 

I was watching with my mom the other day and mentioned to her that it was weird to see the twin towers in some of the opening scenes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

It is easy to watch, Friends, SATC, Seinfeld, Modern Family, etc because they don't talk about current events.

It's one of the ways they keep from getting dated. If the show made reference to how 9/11 happened last week, it would remind you that the episode was over a decade old.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

They omitted the towers from the opening credits. I think there was also an episode with a passing reference to the fdny.
    I listened to the commentary for all the seasons and I know they also made a deliberate mention of it being a patriotic duty to support the businesses downtown NYC by shopping there.

I also spent all weekend binge watching season 5 of Downton Abbey and I seriously just tried to type downtown as downton and couldn't figure out why I was getting a red squiggly line.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards