Flowers

No flower girl...what to do down the aisle?

I don't have any little girls in my family or friends to be a flower girl, which kind of makes me sad. I always envisioned a little girl (or 2) throwing flowers on the aisle before I walked down it. So, without that, any knotties have any ideas for flowers on the aisle instead? I've seen some very decorative photos, but am concerned that will just get trampled by guests and/or WP. 
So, any creative ideas besides something super decorative?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: No flower girl...what to do down the aisle?

• I would really just try to let at least part of this idea go. It's such a small detail that really won't impact the rest of your day, even though you've pictured it that way. I know it sucks to let go of things like that sometimes, but there are much bigger things to concern yourself with!

If you really want to have flowers down the aisle, you just have to accept that they WILL get walked on. You can minimize this by roping off the center aisle and having ushers direct guests up the sides (like below), but your WP will still walk on them. 

I don't think there's any non-awkward way to get flowers there just before you without a FG. Even with a FG it's not guaranteed! Mine forgot to toss the petals until after the ceremony, then she dumped them all out all over the back of the room. :)

• Do you have any young boys? A toddler will love tossing petals out whether they're a boy or girl.

Anniversary
  • anrforanr said:

I don't have any little girls in my family or friends to be a flower girl, which kind of makes me sad. I always envisioned a little girl (or 2) throwing flowers on the aisle before I walked down it. So, without that, any knotties have any ideas for flowers on the aisle instead? I've seen some very decorative photos, but am concerned that will just get trampled by guests and/or WP. 

So, any creative ideas besides something super decorative?
    Flower girls don't necessarily ensure a pretty petaled aisle, either.  I've attended weddings where the flower girl was nervous and forgot to toss the petals out of her basket.  I attended a wedding where the FG tossed them in clumps, then nothing, then one, then another clump......hardly a picturesque photo.  You could put a few flowering potted plants at the base of the aisle, again in the center, and then again at the top of the aisle.
  • I think your best bet is to let this vision go.  This is such a minute detail that really will not make or break your wedding.

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    You could scatter petals down the sides of the aisle, and that leaves a clear space for your bridal party to walk through without crushing them. Rope off the aisle before the ceremony and direct guests to seat themselves on the outside of the rows. I know it won't leave flowers scattered everywhere, but at least you'll have petals lining your pathway?

• My planner placed the petals down before guests arrived. Most of the guests avoided the aisle since it was decorated. It looked great.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I didn't have a flower girl. I just walked down the aisle with no flowers in the ground. No big deal.

We did have the music change. One song for procession for everyone else and a different one for me.
    *********************************************************************************

• @labro and @msuprincess04
    I'm thinking something along one of those lines (petals along the aisles or someone scattering them beforehand).
    This may seem like a small detail to some people, and that I should just let it go, but it's one detail that really matters to me. At least I have 6 months to figure it out still.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We had a flower girl and she didn't throw petals. I wanted her to carry a bouquet. If you really want petals along the aisle, have someone do that before the start of the ceremony or purchase one of those big flower petal runners. 
  • chibiyui said:

Do you have any young boys? A toddler will love tossing petals out whether they're a boy or girl.

This would be my first recommendation - Boys are just as willing to do this as girls that age.  Bonus if you can get them at least 4 or 7... Our church didn't allow petal drops so that put an end to that idea even if my niece wanted to...

Another idea would be for the ushers to hand out cones of petals to those on the end of the aisle with a note that says to toss toward the aisle in front of you as you're walking in...

• I am thinking about having my mother and FMIL be our flower girls. I saw a picture where the grandmothers were the flower girls and it was the cutest thing! But unfortunately my grandmother passed last year so I thought it could still be a fun option for the mothers to do. I mentioned it to them and they think it would be fun/funny; they get along well so they would have fun doing this. You could really have anyone do it if you wanted. 

Daisypath Wedding tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • I am thinking about having my mother and FMIL be our flower girls. I saw a picture where the grandmothers were the flower girls and it was the cutest thing! But unfortunately my grandmother passed last year so I thought it could still be a fun option for the mothers to do. I mentioned it to them and they think it would be fun/funny; they get along well so they would have fun doing this. You could really have anyone do it if you wanted. 

Please don't do this. Your wedding isn't supposed to be a comedy show. It wouldn't be funny, it would be weird.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited June 2015
  • Yeah, flower girls are for sure not an assured pretty flower scatter, only having someone like a planner set it up and rope off the aisle will do that.

I was a flower girl at age five, but I didn't throw a single petal because I was too busy keeping the ring bearer, a three year-old demon, from biting me. Every time my hand moved he grabbed it and tried to bring it to his mouth to chomp down on. So in all the pictures I have pinchmarks on my face, I'm frowning and fighting off this little hellion, and there are no petals.

Same. I was a flower girl at age 7 and I didn't throw anything because I was terrified by all the people around me. 

Daisypath Wedding tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards