Chit Chat

Small Rant - And Some Good

2»

Re: Small Rant - And Some Good

• levioosa said:

levioosa said:

SO's Mom brings over anti-vax and anti-abortion pamplets all the time and just leaves them on the coffee table.  

Um, wut? That's awful. 

You should start leaving planned parenthood and pro-vax pamphlets on her nightstand, in her bathroom drawer, taped inside the kitchen cupboard, in the pocket of her coat, buried in the dog food, under the couch cushion, her in book, under her keyboard, scrolled up in her coffee cup, taped to "April" on her calendar, in her suitcase... see how she likes it then.
    I mean, I have always found that my mind can be changed completely with a properly deployed pamphlet.
    Obviously.  Picketing meant to shame me is a close second. 
    I went to a conservative college apparently. Every spring, a church group would set up a huge "cemetery" in our main quad for all the aborted babies, and they'd chase you down and give you pamphlets. 

We had that too, and I went to Oregon State so... not very conservative. They set up in the quad and then once a year we also had a group that was mennonite-ish stand by the library (much cheaper than the quad) and yell about how education for women is sinful. There's wackadoos everywhere.

H's parents are pretty good. They do weird shit for sure, but they don't stick their noses in our business really.  I have the crazy parents.  My mom likes to send us Catholic books and I'm a bit worried next time we go visit that they might still want us to sleep in separate rooms because we're not REALLY married since we didn't get married in a church.  If that does happen we're turning around and leaving and not coming back. 
  • But your FI was standing there when his mom said "put it here". He moved it to where she wanted. He should have said "no mom that is not where loveislouder wants it". Or even "I don't think my future wife would like it there!"

It's that he allowed his mom to make decisions for him. I get you, OP. I would be super frustrated at both parties.

Who the fuck cares if he took his mom's suggestion? If "do not ever move the bed" was never explicitly discussed, he doesn't need to ask her permission. This is ridiculous.
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    I still can't even believe how big of a deal this is. Your FI wasn't just taking orders from her over you, he probably was like "Okay sure" and didn't think much of it. Because it's not a big fuckin deal. 

I am honestly embarrassed for you that you yelled at him over it and that so many people ITT think what you did was totally justified. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    larrygaga said:

I still can't even believe how big of a deal this is. Your FI wasn't just taking orders from her over you, he probably was like "Okay sure" and didn't think much of it. Because it's not a big fuckin deal. 

I am honestly embarrassed for you that you yelled at him over it and that so many people ITT think what you did was totally justified. 

Same. I feel like i'm in the fucking twilight zone here.

How do you people have FRIENDS?
  • larrygaga said:

How do you people have FRIENDS

ash you quoted the really mean thing i said that I immediately deleted. 

NOW IM NOT GOING TO BE POPULAR
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:

larrygaga said:

larrygaga said:

Thank you.  I thought I was the only one shaking her head over the bed.  

The living room, yeah that's weird.  A bed suggestion?  Meh, it's a suggestion.  Nothing to yell at your SO over.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • larrygaga said:

larrygaga said:

There, now I said it :) I'm already wildly unpopular around these parts.
  • larrygaga said:

larrygaga said:

There, now I said it :) I'm already wildly unpopular around these parts.
    not with me

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I mean I would be more frustrated at my MIL overstepping her boundaries than H letting her help decide where a bed goes. OP has a reason to be upset but I think definitely overreacted by yelling at her FI. You.could have definitely stood up for yourself.

• At least your FMIL didn't get stuck under the bed.
  • levioosa said:

SO's Mom brings over anti-vax and anti-abortion pamplets all the time and just leaves them on the coffee table.  

Um, wut? That's awful. 

You should start leaving planned parenthood and pro-vax pamphlets on her nightstand, in her bathroom drawer, taped inside the kitchen cupboard, in the pocket of her coat, buried in the dog food, under the couch cushion, her in book, under her keyboard, scrolled up in her coffee cup, taped to "April" on her calendar, in her suitcase... see how she likes it then.
    Or how about just a basic introductory level Immunology text book. You know, the kind that gets written, peer-reviewed, edited and published by ACTUAL scientific professionals?
  • levioosa said:

Um, wut? That's awful. 

Or how about just a basic introductory level Immunology text book. You know, the kind that gets written, peer-reviewed, edited and published by ACTUAL scientific professionals?
    Naw, that's "Big Pharma."  They're just out for the money, not trying to keep completely preventable deaths from occurring, you know? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards