Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Another thread about grooms cake pricing

Didn't want to thread-jack the other person who posted about the price of a groom's cake, since my question is more specific.

I've gotten a bunch of quotes on grooms cakes related to FI's alma mater. These two are my favorite:

imageimage

They're double-layer half sheet cakes, no fancy flavors or fillings. The bakery quoted over $1000 for either of those cakes and I just about choked on my coffee when I read it. Other bakeries have quoted less half that price for more intricate cakes. Does this sound reasonable? Am I missing something here? I'm honestly wondering if it was a typo but would feel so rude to ask the baker that.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Another thread about grooms cake pricing

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

Oh fuck no.

I would find another bakery. I guess the bee or the car could up the price a bit but not to $1000.

FWIW, when we were wedding cake tasting, I was told that square/ rectangle cakes are more expensive than circle cakes. I don't know if same rule would follow for sheet cakes, but you could ask.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    edited March 2015
    What KatWAG said.  

I would have probably said "are you fucking crazy?" if they told me that it was going to cost $1000 for one of those cakes.  I would pay probably $50-$70 for one of those cakes, especially since you aren't getting any specialty flavors.

I would have no problem asking the bakery if the $1000 quote was correct or not.

• Okay, I'm glad I'm not crazy and that makes me feel better about asking. I really expected that a basic cake like that would be cheaper than the really fancy ones I looked at. We'll see what they say...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• The ONLY reason, (and this isn't even a good one) that I would think they would quote you $1000 for a half sheet cake is because it's for a wedding??? I think people think that when something is used for a wedding that just gives them free reign to price gouge... but maybe that's just me being a cynic.

I most certainly would NOT pay $1000 for that cake. 

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    edited March 2015

"Cake Fraunk, is made of flour and water!"

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I almost think it had to be a typo. I wonder if they meant $100 and accidentally added an extra '0'.

Because unless that cake is made with milk from a cow that gets massages and listens to Mozart all day; eggs from a chicken that drinks bottled water and eats only seed from rare plants; flour from wheat that was ground at a mill staffed by super models; frosted in gold leaf, etc.... then yea, $1,000 is laughable. 

If they're serious about $1,000, I would ask them to tell you why you should pay $1,000 for a half sheet of cake (give them a chance to brag). And copy and paste what they say here so that we can all laugh.
    That made me laugh!

For $1,000 I can get a cake that's actually sculpted into the shape of the ramblin' wreck, so no way in hell I'm going to pay that much for a sheet cake. (Not that a $1,000 cake of any shape is in my budget, but it's the principle of the matter.)

Still waiting for a response...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Holy hell, get one from the bakery at a grocery store. Seriously.
  • blabla89 said:

Update: The bakery responded and apologized profusely. The cake is actually $101.99.

I was kind of hoping that it really was $1010.99 so that we could snark on it...

Haha, that sounds much more reasonable. Though yes, it would have been funny to hear them try to defend the $1000 price tag.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards