Snarky Brides
Options

I need to share.

Bride is getting married on Columbus Day (a Monday).
Location is off the beaten path. Not close to an airport, etc. Many guests are OOT (as in, 6 hours or more driving).

She's getting upset when people say they can't attend.

Re: I need to share.

• Options
    You would think.  But no.  And she can't understand how this is so inconvenient.
  • Options

You would think.  But no.  And she can't understand how this is so inconvenient.

Eh, she understands it. She probably wouldn't attend a wedding like this herself. But the difference here is that she thinks she's different and special and unique so OF COURSE people would attend HER wedding.

People declining is just forcing her to realize that she's not as super duper speshul as she always thought she was and that people actually WILL decline when something (even her wedding) is that inconvenient. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    "But that's why the wedding is early in the day, so people can travel home after."

Blah, blah, blah.
  • Options
    Or not understanding that people have lives to get to after the wedding. Like, in her mind it's all "Oh, long weekend for travel to the wedding!" without thinking that people need travel time back to their everyday lives.
  • Options
    Umm... does she realize that not everyone actually gets off work on Columbus Day? Only federal workers in all 50 states actually get off work that day - only about half the rest of the states give paid leave.

Also, even if I were given a 3 day weekend (I'm in one of the states that does not give that day off) - I'd have to be reallllllly close to someone to go to their Monday wedding, what with still having to work the next day and all.
  • Options
    I forget that anyone even gets holidays like Columbus day off... I sure as hell don't. So basically your friend's wedding, from my perspective, is a Monday morning wedding in an inconvenient location. I probably wouldn't go to a local Monday wedding, let alone an OOT one. Plus a six hour drive home when I have to work the next day? Yeah, no.

As PPs said, I'm sure, deep down, she understands the inconvenience. But she either a) thinks she is speshul, or b) doesn't actually want everyone invited to attend.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, I've never had Columbus Day off at any job ever. 
  • Options
    abl13 said:

Unless you're a teacher, government employee or work in the banking industry you are not going to get that day off work. Your friend is an idiot for thinking this is a good idea.

Even in the banking industry we don't all get that day off! I know I don't.

• Options
    margaritaaamargaritaaa member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    Why would you want to get married on a day celebrating and glorifying lying and the start of an era of slavery and genocide?

Romantic.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    larrygaga said:

Why would you want to get married on a day celebrating and glorifying lying and the start of an era of slavery and genocide?

Romantic.

I believe the trend to celebrate and glorify lying has been well established with the (sadly) popular PPD. 
  • Options
    MobKaz said:

larrygaga said:

Romantic.

I believe the trend to celebrate and glorify lying has been well established with the (sadly) popular PPD. 
    A PPD on Columbus day???????????? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Yeah, I've never had Columbus Day off at any job ever. 

Me either. I would have to look up when Columbus Day even is.. No idea.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Its not a PPD (as far as I know).  Just a horribly inconvenient wedding. I wonder what her minimum headcount is...

I hear she's crocheting all her flowers, too (barf).
  • Options

Its not a PPD (as far as I know).  Just a horribly inconvenient wedding. I wonder what her minimum headcount is...

I hear she's crocheting all her flowers, too (barf).

I choked on my water!

I uhh....wut..?
  • Options
    I'm not kidding.

She loves to make things.  I get it.  She makes beautiful sweaters and blankets, etc.  But the flowers are FUGLY.
  • Options
    I get Columbus Day off and I still wouldn't travel for a wedding on that day.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

I get Columbus Day off and I still wouldn't travel for a wedding on that day.

Columbus Day is in October.  It's mid-March right now.  Who is it that is telling her they can't attend her wedding?  I hope it's people trying to convince her that a Monday morning wedding in October is a bad idea, not people who have to turn in their RSVPs to her over six months early.
  • Options
    MobKaz said:

larrygaga said:

Romantic.

I believe the trend to celebrate and glorify lying has been well established with the (sadly)
    larrygaga said:

MobKaz said:

larrygaga said:

Romantic.

A PPD on Columbus day???????????? 
    Sorry.  What I meant was that the PPD brigade already has no issue starting out their married lives under a veil of lies and deceit.  If this bride chooses to marry on Columbus Day, which also is clouded with lies and deceit, the precedent has already been set.  I did not mean to imply that OP's bride was having a PPD. 

**sigh**I still feel as if I have not really explained my original comment well.  I will blame it on a brain fried from PARCC testing at school, while additionally already making plans for MAP testing!

Did someone say a crocheted bouquet?
  • Options
    No invites yet/  She's busy crocheting flowers.

Oy. That's photo is worse than I had imagined.....I need to unsee it....crocheted vagina flowers!!! AHHHH!
  • Options
    I think the corcheted flowers would work better if the stems were, not crocheted. Skinny dowel rods painted green or something.

Anniversary
  • Options

No invites yet/  She's busy crocheting flowers.

Oy. That's photo is worse than I had imagined.....I need to unsee it....crocheted vagina flowers!!! AHHHH!

That was my first thought as well. YIKES.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    It seems that she's making herself a hat, too.   This will be....interesting...
  • Options
    Sounds like she's spending too much time searching DIY forums and not enough time searching etiquette forums...
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I think she's has this event planned since she was 10, and has just been waiting for the groom.
    I don't think she's searching anything at all....

• Options
    And today we were blessed with yet ANOTHER FB post - this time saying how if she gets in touch with you, please respond ASAP with your address because she's trying to get her labels ready for the wedding invites!

*headdesk*
  • Options

And today we were blessed with yet ANOTHER FB post - this time saying how if she gets in touch with you, please respond ASAP with your address because she's trying to get her labels ready for the wedding invites!

*headdesk*

Wait.  So now I have to check my facebook regularly to not only read her warning but check to see if I get this message about my address?  I hate facebook.  I check it maybe twice a week.  What if I don't get the message ASAP but respond as soon as I do?  I'm totally screwed, right?  Damn, I don't get to go to this wedding, I don't think.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards