Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Anyone use an ipod/pandora for DJ?

Hi All,
I wondered if anyone used an ipod or streaming music of any sort instead of a DJ. All the DJ websites say that using your own music doesn't help determine the "mood" of the crowd. Any advice? Regrets?

Re: Anyone use an ipod/pandora for DJ?

• Options
    We are going the ipod route. we don't have many people who dance and we are not doing the traditional first dance, bouquet toss etc. we thought we would start out with classical type stuff for lunch and then pick it up with more contemporary music for after.
  • Options
    I went to a wedding last year where they used an ipod. There was a lot of awkward pauses, but that could have been because the wedding party was shy. I think it's a geat idea to save money but I also think if you're gonna do it, make sure you have someone who is going to talk and announce what's gonna happen next to avoid the long pauses. Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_anyone-use-an-ipodpandora-for-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:3fd3dc1e-cbf3-4594-8dd0-6239d7b992dePost:0f603003-a0c4-4b79-85e3-5dd82505b52c">Re: Anyone use an ipod/pandora for DJ?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to a wedding last year where they used an ipod. There was a lot of awkward pauses, but that could have been because the wedding party was shy. I think it's a geat idea to save money but I also think if you're gonna do it, make sure you have someone<strong> who is going to talk and announce what's gonna happen nex</strong>t to avoid the long pauses. Good luck!
    Posted by bmiller1128[/QUOTE]

You mean like an MC? I think if you have an MC, you can forgo a DJ. As long as the MC has a watch and a timeline (ie. 5:45, WP intros, 6:00 MOH speech, etc...) to go off of.
  • Options
    I did an Ipad with the playlist on rhapsody.

It worked out fantastic.
    But, our wedding was small.
  • Options
    We are planning on using an ipod or mp3 player instead of hiring a DJ.  While I doubt alot of our guests will dance, we are planning on having a first dance.  I haven't figured  out all the logistics, but I may have a friend help make sure it goes smoothly.  I know we would like to upload a playlist that way we don't have any songs come on that we would not appreciate playing.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    A bit off topic (sorry) but I was thinking when I put my ipod on shuffle and old songs randomly come up like N*Sync, Spice Girls or Veggie Tales I giggle to myself but then I just imagined it at a wedding and laughed. Obviously someone would plan ahead and create a playlist of some sort so that random songs don't play.
  • Options
    We used an iPod, and it worked great. My MOH was in charge of announcing us for our first dance, and our usher (her fiancé) was in charge of queueing up all the music. No problems. I had put together a dancing playlist in advance (and bought some songs ahead of time so that we'd have plenty of stuff that people would recognize).

However: we had a small wedding (35 people) and no bouquet toss, garter toss, mother/son dance, etc. It was just straight dancing after dinner. And I still ended up over by the computer adjusting the playlist, because we started dancing later than scheduled, and I am a control freak.

You do need someone to be in charge of the music, as all PP have suggested.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards