Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Changing your last name

Hi ladies... Just curious how you all went about changing your last names.  Do you just go to social security and the dmv and change it there, then follow up with credit cards, bills, ect?  I am a few months behind on changing my name and think its about time I really get the ball rolling with it. 

Thanks in advance!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Changing your last name

• Options
    Start with the social security card, then the DMV then businesses/credit cards.  Don't worry its not hard.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_changing-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:3ff1b4de-2666-44b4-8b67-abc587493046Post:8f60808f-792a-4c4f-a01e-bda5e7ca7005">Re: Changing your last name</a>:
    [QUOTE]Start with the social security card, then the DMV then businesses/credit cards.  Don't worry its not hard.
    Posted by KatyRoseM[/QUOTE]

Agreed
    Daisypath Friendship tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice, I was wondering this too.
  • Options
    Go to the SS office first thing in the morning, then the dmv, then your bank (if you are keeping your account) those are the only ones I had to do in person then utility bills and credit cards, those can all be done by phone, I only had one place ask me to even fax my marriage license in all the rest just took my word for it
  • Options
    This is kinda off topic, but it makes me think of when I worked at a retail store years ago, some woman handed me her credit card and it had a totally different name on it. We had had a fraud issue a few weeks before hand, so I had to question it. She began panicking and tried to dig up all this proof that she had JUST gotten married. We just laughed, and told her it was ok and that we understood!
  • Options

You'll want to check with your SS office if there's a wait period before you can go to DMV - here I couldn't go to DMV until the following day.

• Options
    I couldn't go to my DMV until the new SS card arrived.  It was weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards