Wedding Reception Forum

Wedding day transportation?

I'm wondering if anyone can give some advice on day-of transportation for the wedding party.  Our ceremony is at 4:30 PM, and we are planning to do most (if not all) of our photos beforehand.  We hoped to rent a party bus (for 15 in the WP, plus their dates, for a total of 30) to take us around town for photos starting around 1:00, to be back to the church by 3:00, for family church photos and to give us time to "freshen up" and hide, basically, before the guests start arriving.  Our photographer suggested we be done with pictures by 3:45.  Our ceremony will be about an hour (Catholic), and our reception starts at 6:00 (the venue is about a half hour away, with traffic).  We'd like to use the party bus to drive the WP around town for 45 minutes or so (maybe stop to take another few pictures) while our guests are at cocktail hour.  We'd plan to arrive at the ceremony between 6:30-6:45.

The issue is this: we don't really want to rent a party bus for six hours when we'll really only be using it for three.  Those things are expensive!  A limo will be too small, and everyone taking their own vehicles seems difficult to coordinate.  Does anyone have any advice, or other suggestions?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding day transportation?

• Will carpooling really be that difficult to coordinate?

For our wedding, we did our first look at the church, and then everyone jumped into vehicles and followed J & I to where we were taking pictures.  Then, our WP and parents went to my IL's house for pizza while the two of us went to a couple different locations with our photographer.

For my sister's wedding, right after the ceremony we took pictures with parents and grandparents outside the church, and then WP jumped into various vehicles (I was driving one), and we caravan-ed behind the photographer to the different locations we were going to.  I think we went to three different places before C & J went off for their own pictures and we went to the reception space.  It really wasn't that difficult - we just paid attention to who was in front of us, and who was in our rear view, and made sure we didn't get separated.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • MollyandDMollyandD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    Can you pay for it separately? What I mean is, can you rent two party buses for the two different times you need? If not, I'd only rent it before the ceremony while you are running around town. Your wedding party will have already taken pictures with you, so I'd just do a few more pictures with your groom after the ceremony. You could take your own car for that.
  • I would be annoyed as hell if you dragged me around for 2 hours of pictures and then expected even more after the ceremony. Plus, 45 minutes is really not enough time to go somewhere else, take pics, and still get to the reception by 6:30. You already have 2hrs45min of pictures. Why do you need more? Take a few minutes to be alone with your new spouse because you won't get any time for that at the reception.
  • We are renting a school bus since we have about 22 people in the WP. We rented it for 9 hours and are using it as our shuttle as well. We paid $780 which is how much one limo company wanted for 3 hours....
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Don't

I would be annoyed as hell if you dragged me around for 2 hours of pictures and then expected even more after the ceremony. Plus, 45 minutes is really not enough time to go somewhere else, take pics, and still get to the reception by 6:30. You already have 2hrs45min of pictures. Why do you need more? Take a few minutes to be alone with your new spouse because you won't get any time for that at the reception.

This. That's a long time to take pics. Just do 1pm to 6pm.

My husband was in a wedding a couple years ago where the wedding was at 11am and from noon to 6pm they kept the wedding party busy with pictures. My husband is disabled plus it was December and snow was on the ground. The WP was miserable. Don't be that bride.
  • @mrscomposer: I'm not sure that it'd be THAT difficult, but carpooling with 30 people to a few different locations seems like it might be...especially when we are driving in a city with nowhere really to park (except street parking, meters and all that).  It's definitely an option, but not one we love.

@Molly&Domenic: Most of the companies we've looked at have at least a three hour minimum, so that wasn't an option.  Thanks for the suggestion though!

@artbyallie and @mlg78: I didn't realize that was a long time for photos!  Our photographer gave us that as a potential timeline.  If we stopped the bus at six though, were you thinking that we would just send the bus with our WP to the reception, and then have FI and me go in our own car, maybe with the photographer to do a few other pictures?  We'll rethink, thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone for the replies so far!  Just to add a little bit, all of our friends who've gotten married have taken a party bus between the ceremony and reception for an hour or so just to kind of hang out with the bridal party while the guests get to cocktail hour.  So I don't know that we'd necessarily take more pictures during that time, but could if we wanted to stop and get some?  Probably just with FI and me, not the whole WP.  They could just hang out on the bus, start drinking, and chill out for a little bit.  This seems to be the norm among our friend group, so I think that's how we got on this train of thought in the first place.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If everyone in the WP wants to, say, park their own cars at the reception venue and depart from there in the party bus at 1, then use the party bus to get back at 6, I think that's probably your best bet. Pretty much you'd be going straight from the ceremony to reception that way. I just can't see needing more time for pictures after the ceremony when you're starting that early. 2 hours with the WP and 45 min in the church with your families should be plenty of time to get every shot you need. Maybe even come back to the church earlier to have more time for family pics. How many locations are you wanting for pictures anyway? Think realistically about how many of these shots you're going to get any use out of whatsoever. We got married almost 4 years ago and the pictures on display in our home are as follows: 3 shots from the wedding (all of which are just the two of us) and 5 from my separate (as in on a different day) bridal shoot (4 are just me and 1 includes my mom and grandmothers). Our wedding album has maybe 50 pics or so? I'd say those are about 1/3 family, 1/3 WP, and 1/3 ceremony/reception candids, give or take a handful here and there. And we haven't glanced at that album basically since I put it together.

Obviously you want pictures of your wedding, but in the end you don't need a million of them.
  • @artbyallie: Thanks for the input.  I think realistically we'll want 2-3 locations?  Although I haven't even started to think about a rain/snow plan since all of those locations are outside.  I think we'd all be starting from the reception venue anyway since it's a hotel and most people are planning to get ready there.  Thanks again!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Pictures after the ceremony are fine. A few pictures before the ceremony is fine as well. But a two hour photo shoot at multiple locations is attention whorish and very disrespectful of your guests time. These people are your friends, not your props.

If I was your guest and had to be camera ready at 1:00 I would have to start getting ready at 9:00 to allow time for showering, makeup, hair appointment, commute time, and eating. Then 2 hours for pictures, then the ceremony, then more pictures, then the reception which probably goes on until 10:00? What is my date supposed to do during these 13 HOURS? Contrary to popular Bridezilla belief people do not like waiting around for other people, even if it is Bridezilla's wedding day.

Please rethink the pictures. Do a first look with just your groom if you would like, but you cannot expect 30 people to be on board (quite literally if you want to rent a bus) with this extended photo shoot idea. If your photographer is good you will get plenty of great shots without people having to make a day out of it.
  • @MGP: Yeesh, I didn't realize it'd come off that way.  As I said, this has sort of been the norm for friends' weddings and it was the timeline the photographer suggested.  It didn't occur to me that it was rude, more just the nature of the beast of being in a wedding/having a date in the wedding party.  It does seem like a long time, but I just figured maybe it takes a while to coordinate 15 people and it wasn't so much the actual picture taking, but the getting around.  I know our engagement photo shoot was 1.5 hours, and it seemed to go so fast and there were only two of us!  So I thought maybe they just suggest more time for the WP since it's so many more people.  I certainly don't think of our friends as "props," as you suggested.  To answer one of your questions, our WP's guests would be more than welcome to join us, or do whatever they want to do during the day and just come to the ceremony when it starts.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no way to avoid them "waiting around" at least for a small chunk of time (I realize that 2.5 hours is a long time) while we do pictures?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MGPMGP member

@MGP: Yeesh, I didn't realize it'd come off that way.  As I said, this has sort of been the norm for friends' weddings and it was the timeline the photographer suggested.  It didn't occur to me that it was rude, more just the nature of the beast of being in a wedding/having a date in the wedding party.  It does seem like a long time, but I just figured maybe it takes a while to coordinate 15 people and it wasn't so much the actual picture taking, but the getting around.  I know our engagement photo shoot was 1.5 hours, and it seemed to go so fast and there were only two of us!  So I thought maybe they just suggest more time for the WP since it's so many more people.  I certainly don't think of our friends as "props," as you suggested.  To answer one of your questions, our WP's guests would be more than welcome to join us, or do whatever they want to do during the day and just come to the ceremony when it starts.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no way to avoid them "waiting around" at least for a small chunk of time (I realize that 2.5 hours is a long time) while we do pictures?

You sound like you are being inclusive of everyone which is great. It's true that with more people things can take longer but almost 3 hours of pictures is still WAY too long. Personally I think your time is better spent interacting with your guests and getting some quality face time and opportunity for real memories with them rather than stuck on a bus and doing Pinterest inspired poses for hours on end.

I was just trying to have you take a step back and see what this type of schedule means for other people. A full day of someone else's wedding is a LOT to ask of people. It is even more to ask of someone's date who like you said can't avoid waiting around even with the best planned schedules, even moreso if they dont know anyone else there. It's a lot to ask of people who have children, pets, sick family members they care for, and jobs where they had to ask for time off to attend your event. It's a lot to ask when people have to travel. So yes, if I went to all this trouble to attend and I was bussed around for hours for pictures while my date awkwardly tagged along - personally I would feel like somewhat of a prop even if that was not your intent.

Even though this may be the "norm" in your group I guarantee your wedding party would be THRILLED if you cut the photo time in half. Nix the multiple stops and knock out the shots at the ceremony/reception sites. Sometimes I think that brides (saying this in general not directed at you) forget that there is a lot of planning, expense, and sacrifice in order to make it to the big day and that needs to be respected.
  • Are you doing a first look? If so, is it at the hotel? Because how else are you going to take the bus together? Even if you are doing a first look, do you really want to be hanging out together for a couple hours before the wedding? I did a first look, but then we separated again and I didn't see him until I walked down the aisle about an hour later. 

Another think to think about is that while it's nice to have a few different locations, you don't need everyone at every location. For instance, I did bridal portraits (just me) at the hotel after getting ready, then we a first look in a park, and some family shots in the same park but from a different angle/location, and then we did the bridal party pictures at the venue before the ceremony, and some couple portraits at the venue after the ceremony. 

It is my preference in a wedding that the bridal party is done as soon as the ceremony is over. Let them go to cocktail hour with the rest of your guests, and you can do pictures with your immediate families and/or just the two of you. 

And to echo others, being all dressed up and ready to go to leave at 1pm for a wedding, that doesn't start until 4:30, sounds exhausting. I'd be so over it by the time the cocktail hour rolled around, never mind the ceremony. What about picking 1-2 locations nearby (to eliminate much travel time) and doing pictures from, say 2:30-3:30?

Another thought--you want your photographer to come early to get some "getting ready" shots, right? So, you'll have your photographer from maybe noon until 6 or 7pm? That means you won't have a photographer there to do the spotlight dances, the cake cutting, candids at the reception, etc. 

And finally, every limo/car company we talked to did minimum 3 hour or 6 hour blocks for rentals, although for the shuttle bus we got they allowed you to break up the 6 hour block into tow 3 hour blocks (so, 3 hours worth of shuttle to get people there, and 3 hours worth of shuttle to get people home). It's not like they can use the car/bus for another client while you're in your ceremony, so it makes sense you have to pay for the whole 6 hour block. 

• @Mandymost: Yes, the first look will be at the hotel starting at 1, which is when the photographer will get there.  We're not doing getting ready photos because we're paying for the photographer for 8 hours, and want her there for dances and candid reception shots after dinner instead.  So anyway, we figure about a half hour for the first look, then decided hopefully some sort of vehicle will pick us up at 1:30 and we'll have 1.5 hours of pictures. We'll do family pictures at the church at 3 until 3:45, and then go our separate ways and have downtime before the ceremony starts at 4:30.  We decided to do all of our pictures beforehand because our wedding is after Daylight Savings Time, and it'll be dark outside after the ceremony is over.  Our photographer also said that because there's a lot of stained glass in the church, it'll be much better to do the indoor church photos when it's still light out.

We definitely understand the companies not breaking up their time blocks in addition to the minimum number of hours, which is why I was wondering if anyone had creative suggestions or done other things for transportation!  The idea of carpooling won't work, as we live in a metropolitan area and it's difficult and inconvenient to park, and putting everyone in separate cabs or Ubers doesn't seem as fun.  Plus, once we pay for that we may as well get a large vehicle so we can all be together.

I know people say that they would not be excited to spend so much time doing all of this, and we've asked our WP to be totally honest about what they think.  Like I said, getting a party bus and not speeding through everything has been the norm in our group of friends, and everyone we talk to says they are excited to hang out in a party bus, have a few drinks (obviously not more than a couple before the ceremony!), and then pop a bottle of champagne in the bus after the ceremony before we arrive at the reception.

Thanks for the input!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • As a member of the WP, I'd much rather attend the cocktail hour than drive around in a bus, potentially taking more pictures.

Also, it's nice that your including WP dates in the bus, but I hope you're not requiring it.   As a date of someone in the WP, I'd much rather just go to the ceremony.  I wouldn't want to hang around all day while the WP takes photos.

And finally, no matter how much you tell people to give their honest opinion, many people will still tell white lies so not to hurt your feelings.  I know if you asked me about the bus/photos/etc, I'd tell you I'm ok with it all.
  • @JoanE2012: That's what I'm starting to wonder about.. Honestly I've always had a blast in a party bus between the ceremony and reception, but most people (online, and admittedly, our parents) seem to think it's weird and/or unnecessary.  And we're definitely not making dates come!  I don't even know how someone would force them to... Just if they want free drinks and music and fun atmosphere for the day, they can, but if not, they can just meet us at the ceremony!

When I've asked people to give opinions, I've laid out all the options, meaning would you rather just drive yourself? Or come in a bus? Or go straight to the reception after the ceremony vs. drive around for a bit?  Mostly asking for input on the overall situation, which is how I landed on the idea that people would love to do a party bus in the first place.  These are my very best friends, and people I trust to give me their honest opinions.  We have no problem telling each other that their shirt is ugly, or they have food in their teeth, etc...so not sure why they would feel the need to be "polite" in this situation!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MGPMGP member
    edited March 2015

@JoanE2012: That's what I'm starting to wonder about.. Honestly I've always had a blast in a party bus between the ceremony and reception, but most people (online, and admittedly, our parents) seem to think it's weird and/or unnecessary.  And we're definitely not making dates come!  I don't even know how someone would force them to... Just if they want free drinks and music and fun atmosphere for the day, they can, but if not, they can just meet us at the ceremony!

When I've asked people to give opinions, I've laid out all the options, meaning would you rather just drive yourself? Or come in a bus? Or go straight to the reception after the ceremony vs. drive around for a bit?  Mostly asking for input on the overall situation, which is how I landed on the idea that people would love to do a party bus in the first place.  These are my very best friends, and people I trust to give me their honest opinions.  We have no problem telling each other that their shirt is ugly, or they have food in their teeth, etc...so not sure why they would feel the need to be "polite" in this situation!
    Yes, it is weird and unnecessary.  This is not a magazine photo shoot, it is a wedding.  A first look is a great idea to get some of the shots out of the way, and it's a great suggestion to get the chapel/stained glass window shots before the sun goes down.  That's the #1 reason why I never even printed any of my post ceremony pics because they just didn't look good.

Just curious - what is the overall demographic of this group?  The wedding party are presumably your best friends, but what about the SO's?  Are these long term partners who you know well, or are there any true +1's or people you don't know well?  Just to play devil's advocate it's great that you have invited them on the party bus but what is their other alternative?  Go to the ceremony and reception alone and wait until their date arrives?

I am just bringing this up because as someone who knows everyone or is in the "inner circle" of guests EVERYTHING is a blast.  That's why people are probably telling you it's not a problem because who doesn't love sitting around with their best friends and knocking back drinks for a happy occasion?  But when you are one of those peripheral guests things become awkward fast, especially when it comes to waiting around for someone or something.  I am not saying to eliminate photos, I am just saying to think about what it's like for other people.

And honestly any time I hear about a wedding party taking an extended bus ride/break for whatever reason it reeks of favoritism to me.  It's obvious they are your nearest and dearest, no reason to rub it in even more.

Again, if your photographer cannot get enough good shots between a first look, ceremony, post ceremony, and reception you should look for another photographer.  If you want more camera time book a bridal shoot.  For what it's worth, my bridal shoot pics were the most enjoyable and favorite shots and no one (except my mother) waited around.
  • @MGP: I'm not sure what about providing transportation makes it seem like a "magazine photo shoot."  We do plan to do a first look at the hotel (the reception venue) before we do pictures with the WP.  The demographic is 20-somethings who like to party, and FI is the first of his close friend group to get married, so they're already super-pumped.  Seriously, all they talk about is our wedding (which I think is adorable!), and I think we could tell them that they had to wear lime green tuxes or something else ridiculous, and as long as they have a day of partying and celebrating, they're cool. Of the WP who have significant others, we know all of them, and they're all very easygoing and social.  Obviously, of the single ones, they'll be more than welcome to bring their dates and they can choose that.  I don't know that they would have another option besides waiting around to go to the ceremony...I feel like that's a trick question.  Is there another option?

To be perfectly honest, it just seems sort of...I don't know, boring, to arrive to our ceremony in a regular car separate from the WP.  If our wedding isn't a day to rent a party bus to get around, when is?

The following are serious questions because I genuinely don't know:
     - Where do people usually take pictures that they don't run into these transportation issues?  I was genuinely surprised that there aren't more posts about this issue!  I live in a city that has "landmarks" that are very popular for wedding photography, and I didn't realize it was weird to go to multiple locations.
     - Do people usually just go straight from the ceremony to the reception?  Most weddings I've been to don't have the WP arriving till a little into the cocktail hour.  I suppose this is for pictures, but we'll have already done that.

I do see what you're saying about people's dates being uncomfortable if, say, this is their first time meeting people.  I can appreciate that.  BUT, if we weren't having this period of driving around afterward, wouldn't we normally be doing pictures then and the dates would be hanging around in that situation too?  At least with this, they'll be with their dates in a group setting.

Thank you, really, for taking so much time to respond to me!  This has been a huge stressor and I feel like it shouldn't be, but until it's resolved I feel like I can't stop talking about it!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MGPMGP member
    edited March 2015
    @MGP: I'm not sure what about providing transportation makes it seem like a "magazine photo shoot."  We do plan to do a first look at the hotel (the reception venue) before we do pictures with the WP.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but you said you wanted to hit 2 - 3 locations.  Is this in addition to ceremony/reception sites?  
    The demographic is 20-somethings who like to party, and FI is the first of his close friend group to get married, so they're already super-pumped.  Seriously, all they talk about is our wedding (which I think is adorable!), and I think we could tell them that they had to wear lime green tuxes or something else ridiculous, and as long as they have a day of partying and celebrating, they're cool. I mean this respectfully but no one cares about your wedding as much as you do.  They may be excited, but this is not their top priority.

Of the WP who have significant others, we know all of them, and they're all very easygoing and social.  Obviously, of the single ones, they'll be more than welcome to bring their dates and they can choose that.  I don't know that they would have another option besides waiting around to go to the ceremony...I feel like that's a trick question.  Is there another option?  No, there is not and that's why I bring it up.  Option 1 = waiting on a bus.  Option 2 = waiting at the venue.  Option 3 = waiting at the hotel.  They all involve waiting while you (someone they don't know) takes pictures.  That is rude.

To be perfectly honest, it just seems sort of...I don't know, boring, to arrive to our ceremony in a regular car separate from the WP.  If our wedding isn't a day to rent a party bus to get around, when is?  What is this - the prom? Why are you so concerned about separating your wedding party for so long?  Again, it reeks of favoritism. Rent a party bus on an occasion where other people are not waiting on you. Birthdays, New Years Eve, bachelor/ette, sporting events, etc. You have an obligation on your wedding day to be a gracious host to all you guests, not just ride around town with your super special ones.

The following are serious questions because I genuinely don't know:
     - Where do people usually take pictures that they don't run into these transportation issues?  I was genuinely surprised that there aren't more posts about this issue!  I live in a city that has "landmarks" that are very popular for wedding photography, and I didn't realize it was weird to go to multiple locations.  You take pictures at the ceremony and reception sites because those ACTUALLY HAVE TO DO WITH YOUR WEDDING DAY.  It also eliminates a need for extra transportation.  Why would you want to drag up to 30 people to take pictures at "landmarks" that have nothing to do with your wedding?  Personally I have never understood that trend. It's is terribly rude to leave the premises and LEAVE YOUR GUESTS to take pictures. If a location means that much to you then book your engagement or bridal shoot there or better yet have the wedding there.
     - Do people usually just go straight from the ceremony to the reception?  Most weddings I've been to don't have the WP arriving till a little into the cocktail hour.  I suppose this is for pictures, but we'll have already done that.  Yes, where else would they go?  Wedding party usually arrives into cocktail hour because they have been taking pictures, but not three hours of pictures.

I do see what you're saying about people's dates being uncomfortable if, say, this is their first time meeting people.  I can appreciate that.  BUT, if we weren't having this period of driving around afterward, wouldn't we normally be doing pictures then and the dates would be hanging around in that situation too?  At least with this, they'll be with their dates in a group setting.  Look, all I am saying is that regardless of what people are saying you are asking a LOT of your wedding party and their dates for your pictures.  Granted I don't know you or your group, but from an outsider's perspective it's coming across as selfish and disrespectful.  You can't eliminate all waiting around but I think what you are asking is excessive.  I would NEVER ask my very best of friends to take pictures with me for three hours, especially if it meant other people were waiting around.

Thank you, really, for taking so much time to respond to me!  This has been a huge stressor and I feel like it shouldn't be, but until it's resolved I feel like I can't stop talking about it!

• I agree with the points listed by @MGP in the previous post. I don't see why you would need to drive around and take MORE pictures again with the wedding party. Doing pictures before hand should eliminate most of that post-wedding picture time, so you can spend more time at the reception with your guests. 

I also don't see how it's "boring" to arrive separate from your wedding party. Our wedding and reception were in the same location, but we did have an after party at another location. I guess my husband and I are boring, but we drove there in our own car. Double boring points to us for not even having all the wedding party show up to the after party. A few dared to be tired or to have tired children. 

You seem determined to have your wedding party, and only the wedding party, spend an extremely long time with you. I understand wanting this, but don't let it be at the expense of their comfort and happiness. 
  • I still don't think you're going to actually end up using/keeping even a tenth of these pictures. As I said, I don't even have a single picture with our wedding party on display in my home. Even if I did, it would not be more than ONE picture. And the one I would choose is probably the non-pro one taken of us toward the end of the reception, quite frankly. I just think you're wasting everyone's time doing a big involved multilocation shoot. Which is something I have done... just me or me and H, when we were in costumes I spent a long time making and wanted pro pics. But even then those were only 1-hr sessions (or 1/2 if it's just me) that came with 10 or so finished (edited) shots, which was more than enough.
  • edited March 2015
    Do a first look to get your B&G pics - those are the ones you'll be WAY more likely to frame as keepsakes. Start whenever you want and at whatever location(s) you want.

Ask WP to show up at the church (via their own transportation) at 3:15.

Family formals and WP photos at the church starting at 3:30. End by 4:00 since guests will probably start arriving at the church around then.

You shouldn't need more than 30 min for outdoor/other location wedding photos and 30 min for family/church photos. A good, efficient photog can easily handle that.

So for transport, you wouldn't need the bus/limo until 5:00. You could rent it for 1.5-2 hrs - it shows up at the church at 5:00 and drops you off at reception venue at 6:30.

That gives you 1 hour of additional photos with your WP. That's plenty. You'll start wasting time and running out of photos to take. I promise.
    *********************************************************************************

• Thanks everyone for your input.  I think this is one of those times where I've just seen things done a certain way by our friends and family (lots of pictures at "landmarks," spending most of the day before the reception with the WP, not arriving to the reception immediately, etc.) and never had a problem with it myself, and therefore never really considered it to be rude.  We have some rethinking to do, obviously.  

Just to be clear (I thought I'd said it earlier but maybe just thought it!), we've definitely eliminated the after-ceremony pictures plan.  We'd get them all done before.  We just figured, hey we have the photographer all this time, why not get more pictures?, without really putting much thought into it initially.  Also (I feel so defensive right now, sorry), @MGP, at no point would we be "leaving" the guests, since we are planning to do all the photos before.  The only time we would not be with them is when they're going to the cocktail hour, where we'd arrive about a half hour after it starts.  Again, maybe this is a time where I've just never seen the WP arrive at the same time; they always show up a little after the rest of the guests, and I never considered it any other way.  And for argument's sake, isn't having a WP at all showing favoritism?  I'm not "determined" to "make" anyone spend time with us all day; we have friends who actually like spending time with us and have seemed enthusiastic about having a party bus.  They've come to us expecting to spend the day with us, asking where we're going for pictures, and wondering what the plans will be.

I know TK is all about "just because 'everyone you know does it' doesn't mean it's not rude," and that's what I'm trying to take into consideration now. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MGPMGP member
    edited March 2015

Do a first look to get your B&G pics - those are the ones you'll be WAY more likely to frame as keepsakes. Start whenever you want and at whatever location(s) you want.

Ask WP to show up at the church (via their own transportation) at 3:15.

Family formals and WP photos at the church starting at 3:30. End by 4:00 since guests will probably start arriving at the church around then.

You shouldn't need more than 30 min for outdoor/other location wedding photos and 30 min for family/church photos. A good, efficient photog can easily handle that.

So for transport, you wouldn't need the bus/limo until 5:00. You could rent it for 1.5-2 hrs - it shows up at the church at 5:00 and drops you off at reception venue at 6:30.

That gives you 1 hour of additional photos with your WP. That's plenty. You'll start wasting time and running out of photos to take. I promise.

This is great!  Just to build upon it - if she is only getting the photographer for 8 hours it's most beneficial to have them arrive later so they can stay later.  If pictures started at 1:00 and the photog left at 9:00 it seems to me they would miss the tail end of the reception and if this crowd are partiers those would be the most fun pictures to take.  So I would say:

2:30 to 3:00 - first look.  Not to be snarky - how much time do you really need for a first look?  Other than getting those precious shots of the actual first look, what else is there to do?

3:00 to 4:00 - family and wedding party pre ceremony shots

4:30 - 5:30 - ceremony

5:30 - 6:30 post ceremony shots, everyone boards the party bus and heads to the reception.  If there are any landmarks on the way by all means stop and take a few pictures!

6:45 - reception starts and your photographer can stay until 10:30

Honestly I think something like this is going to get you the pictures you want, plus is the most time friendly to everyone else involved.  It also cuts your transportation cost in half, which is what you originally posted about.  Just remember - you will get TONS of shots during the ceremony and candids at the reception.  Not all of your photography has to be scheduled and posed.

You can always do an after party too!

I really didn't meant to come down hard on you, just wanted to offer an outside perspective.  Your head and heart sound like they are in the right place.  Good luck!

ETA - yes, I get the argument that having a wedding party is showing favoritism to a certain point.  But these people actually have a role in the ceremony.  Once their "job" (using the term job VERY loosely) is done and they have posed for a reasonable amount of pictures it's time for them to move into guest mode just like everyone else.  It's the boarding a party bus and going on a extra special happy hour extended photo shoot that visibly shows the favoritism.  We have heard stories on here about wedding party getting free drinks at a cash bar wedding, a secret top shelf liquor "stash" or better food than the average guest which is WAY beyond anything you have mentioned.

Look at it this way - say at cocktail hour a friend of your parents asks "so where's the beautiful bride?"  What do you think their reaction is going to be when they hear "the happy couple and 30 of their closest friends are riding around town having a mobile happy hour and taking pictures, they will be here shortly".  Other than the traditional wedding party announcements, your wedding is not the time and the place to make this about you and your friends.  It is the time and place to celebrate your new union and for the first time as a married couple graciously host all of your guests equally.

I am not saying that people won't pick up on the dynamic that you are closer to some people than others, I am saying if all you (general you, not YOU) want to do is revel in your friendships there are other times to do that.
  • I know everyone means well and wants to breed good hostesses, and I want to be one, I swear!  I do like that timeline from @southernbelle0915, but it goes back to the previous problem of it being dark after the ceremony, so probably not the best time for photos.  That was also something I forgot about when initially planning for possible post-ceremony pictures.  What we've come up with now is the following:

1-1:30 - first look at the hotel/reception venue

1:30 - 3:00 - Party bus pick-up and bridal party photos around town, which we've decided on two locations (this would probably be less than an hour of actually taking photos; time would be spent just getting around with Friday afternoon city traffic.  We'd supply beer and snacks and music in the transportation for the WP.)

3:00 - 3:45 - family/WP church photos 

3:45 - 4:30 - "hiding" (as our photographer puts it; basically going into our separate rooms to "freshen up" and all that at the church before the ceremony begins and guests start arriving)

5:30 - 6:30 - back on the party bus for champagne and celebrating with our nearest and dearest ("favorites" I suppose) and have bus drop off at the reception at 6:30

This would allow us to rent a party bus for five hours, and gives us some wiggle room in the timeline.  Yes, my initial question was about transportation and if we decide day of that hey, we don't need to be on the party bus this early and everyone wants more time to get ready, then that's okay too!  Or we'd rather it take us straight to the reception from the church rather than having "hang out time," we can do that too.  Yes, we'll have paid for it, but I don't think that'll be my concern that day.  WP's dates would be more than welcome on the bus before and after the ceremony (although I can see how it would be really not fun for them beforehand).  It seems like some waiting around for them is inevitable, but at least if the waiting is before the ceremony, they can hang out in the hotel or at their houses, go to work if they're local, and sort of go about their day as normal until the ceremony starts at 4:30.

Thanks again!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Where do you live (and when is your wedding) that it's dark outside at 5pm??

Unless you live in Alaska or something, that's the dead of winter and outdoor photos aren't practical anyway.
    *********************************************************************************

• Well it's a Catholic mass, so won't be over till almost 5:30, and it's in November after daylight saving's time.  Sunset is supposedly at 5:15 that day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well it's a Catholic mass, so won't be over till almost 5:30, and it's in November after daylight saving's time.  Sunset is supposedly at 5:15 that day.

From your posting history, I can see that you're located in Michigan. Here's the average temperature for November:

That link has sunrise/sunset times, so I assume you're getting married late November (if sunset is at 5:15). In late November, the HIGH is 40-46 degrees and the low is 26-31 degrees.

You cannot ask people to take photos outdoors in that weather. It's too cold. Even for hardened northerners. Same for southern weddings - it wouldn't be fair to ask people to take photos outdoors in super hot weather either. 

So either way, you're looking at taking your photos indoors, which means the sunset time is irrelevant.

• goblue111315goblue111315 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2015
    Yes, I'm well aware of the temperatures.  We can also get fluke 60-70 degree days in early November (the second weekend), or fluke -10 degree days.  We're hoping for the former, but have indoor and outdoor locations in mind in case of either.  Therefore, we still want to plan to do all the photos beforehand in case we get lucky and are able to do outdoor photos.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MGPMGP member
    edited March 2015

Well it's a Catholic mass, so won't be over till almost 5:30, and it's in November after daylight saving's time.  Sunset is supposedly at 5:15 that day.

From your posting history, I can see that you're located in Michigan. Here's the average temperature for November:

That link has sunrise/sunset times, so I assume you're getting married late November (if sunset is at 5:15). In late November, the HIGH is 40-46 degrees and the low is 26-31 degrees.

You cannot ask people to take photos outdoors in that weather. It's too cold. Even for hardened northerners. Same for southern weddings - it wouldn't be fair to ask people to take photos outdoors in super hot weather either. 

So either way, you're looking at taking your photos indoors, which means the sunset time is irrelevant.

Sorry OP, now I have to put on my snarky pants.  It's also a Friday wedding.  Yikes.  That means people are probably taking a day off for this, maybe more if they have to travel or if there is a rehearsal the day before.  If I took off work to find out I would be sitting on a bus in Friday rush hour traffic I would be LIVID.

So between that and probably really cold weather, plus the waiting around I am changing my vote to this is a really bad, selfish idea.  You are wanting way too many things here that cannot work together - outdoor shots, first look, everyone with you, party bus, multiple locations, daytime pictures.  Something (or a few things) have to give.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards