Flowers
Options

How old is too old for a flower girl?

FI has two nieces that will both be about 6 when it's wedding time. Is that a good age for a flower girl or is it too old? I think that should be fine, but was just wondering what you all thought. I've only seen young girls as flower girls, like around age 4 or younger, but then again, I haven't been to many weddings. lol We have another option who will be around 5, but she's such a brat that I would go without a flower girl, before I went with her. 

Re: How old is too old for a flower girl?

• Options
    Blue_BirdBlue_Bird member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015
    This obviously depends on the child. You don't need a flower girl, so if you have a special connection to this child who is six then you should ask her. I frankly think you'd have to go pretty old before she'd be "too old". Having taught young children for many years, I tend to think any younger than four is likely to be too young. They often don't understand why they're there. It's more a "cuteness factor" than anything else, and the child is often not happy to be there and is upset or has to be coaxed down the aisle. A two-three year-old is still a toddler. Too young in my "expert" opinion.

A six year-old? Perfect.

P.S.- My cousin was ten and a flower girl and no one batted an eye. I was thirteen and a bridesmaid and no one cared. Honestly, they're just walking down the aisle with a basket of flowers. The difference between that and a bridesmaid is that the bridesmaid holds a bouquet. It's not that serious.
  • Options
    I was a flower girl at my uncle's wedding at 11 or so. My flower girls will be 14 and 16 by the time of the wedding, I'm pretty sure. If you're trying to stick to traditions, I don't know what to tell you, but if you just want flower girls, any non- adult I think would be fine.
  • Options
    I've typically seen between ages 4-10. Under 4 is too young, IMO, but whether they're "too old" should just be based on whether they want to do it or not. I imagine 6 year olds would be thrilled.

Agree with Blue Bird though. - you should only ask if you have a special connection with them, regardless of age. Don't just ask someone as a prop.

• Options
    Blue_Bird said:

This obviously depends on the child. You don't need a flower girl, so if you have a special connection to this child who is six then you should ask her. I frankly think you'd have to go pretty old before she'd be "too old". Having taught young children for many years, I tend to think any younger than four is likely to be too young. They often don't understand why they're there. It's more a "cuteness factor" than anything else, and the child is often not happy to be there and is upset or has to be coaxed down the aisle. A two-three year-old is still a toddler. Too young in my "expert" opinion.

A six year-old? Perfect.

P.S.- My cousin was ten and a flower girl and no one batted an eye. I was thirteen and a bridesmaid and no one cared. Honestly, they're just walking down the aisle with a basket of flowers. The difference between that and a bridesmaid is that the bridesmaid holds a bouquet. It's not that serious.

I was a flower girl at my uncle's wedding at 11 or so. My flower girls will be 14 and 16 by the time of the wedding, I'm pretty sure. If you're trying to stick to traditions, I don't know what to tell you, but if you just want flower girls, any non- adult I think would be fine.

Good point ladies! The thing I do like about being a little older, is it's a little easier to explain what's happening, and what they're supposed to be doing. They may forget something but at least it won't end with someone carrying a crying child down the aisle. *i hope* lol Thanks for the input!
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I think you're definitely in the clear. H's niece was barely turned 6 when she was our fflowergirl. She loved the whole experience and performed her part perfectly (obviously this isn't a guarantee. I had zero expectations of her, we just wanted her to have a special place in the wedding). Her little brother on the other hand sprinted down the aisle with the (empty (we gave the rings to our best man as a precaution)) ring box in hand. He was not quite 4 at the time. Again, we could've cared less whether he walked, ran, or skipped and everyone got a good laugh at him racing to the best man to give him the box.

• Options
    I heard somewhere that 8 is the official cut-off for a flower girl. My niece is 9 and was initially really excited when I got engaged and she asked if she could be my flower girl. I told her that because she's such a big girl now she gets to be a "junior bridesmaid" instead, and now she is EVEN MORE excited! I'll get her a little bouquet and we're gonna have a blast!

My goddaughter is 3 and she'll be a flower girl, but she's a calm kid and good at following directions, so even if she's a bit young I think it will be fine. I also don't care if it's a flop and doesn't work, or if she walks down the aisle with her mother for that matter. My best friend had a 2 year-old flower girl at her wedding and she walked the wrong way down the aisle tossing petals everywhere and everyone laughed because it was cute! I think if you're willing to be okay if it doesn't work out exactly as planned and just shrug your shoulders because "kids will be kids" then pretty much anything goes. I just see it as a fun excuse to involve the kids in the wedding.

But anyway, 6 seems like an ideal age for a flower girl.
  • Options
    I think 6 is a perfect age for a flower girl.  When they get "too old" also depends on the child.  We grow them tall in my family and by the time my girls were 10 they were about 5 ft tall and would have died if someone would have asked them to be a flower girl at that age.  I think they would have looked kind of silly too!  Some 10 year olds are great with it and I know an 11 year old who was excited about it.  when they get that old, it really depends on the child.
  • Options
    I don't think 6 years old is old for a flower girl. I believe that's the best age because they are more aware of the instructions given to them. I am sure they are going to look adorable!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! What you all said definitely makes sense. I feel like I sit around double guessing my decisions! Which I need to stop doing haha.  I really appreciate the input :)
  • Options
    You'll be good, as long as she wants to be the flower girl! We have 3 FGs, at the time of the wedding they will be 7, 4 and 3. I asked FSIL (mom of the 7 year old) if she thought she was too old and she said her daughter was really excited to do it plus we know she will behave so I think that's a great age.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    marie2785marie2785 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015
    I think 6 is perfect.

My FGs are both 10. The  issue I encountered with them is they don't like to wear "little girl" dresses which is what most flower girl dresses are, and the flower girl dresses that look like mini-wedding gowns start to look pretty strange--it goes from cute to a little creepy IMHO. Dress shopping for 2 opinionated 10 year olds has been an interesting experience to say the least...

At 6 though, you can put them in a tutu, a normal flower girl dress, or a giant paper bag and they'd look adorable. It's a great age. 
  • Options
    vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Mine was 8 and excited to be my flower girl!   
  • Options
    I had 3 flower girls- ages 7, almost 6, and 5. They were all really excited! 6 is a perfect age for it!
  • Options
    6 years old is perfect for a flower girl.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

I don't think 6 years old is old for a flower girl. I believe that's the best age because they are more aware of the instructions given to them. I am sure they are going to look adorable!

My nieces are so excited to be in the bridal party! My flower girls are 6 and 8 (First time being flower girls). I have junior bridesmaids that are 11 and 12 (Were both flower girls three years ago).
    "If you really want something you don’t stop for anyone or anything  until you get it".
  • Options
    In my first wedding, my nieces were flower girls and they were 18mos and 3 at the time. This time around, my daughter, who is 6, will be my flower girl, and she's super excited. I think it depends on you.
  • Options
    I'm so glad to hear this! It's almost time to ask them (and their parents) if they can be in it! I'm hoping they will be super excited. :) 
  • Options
    By the time my wedding rolls around, my flower girl will also be 6. :)
  • Options
    Age 6 for a flower girl is actually the perfect age!
  • Options
    My oldest flower girl was 10.  I don't think 6 is too old at all!
  • Options
    My daughter will be 11 and my niece to be will turn 13 the week of my wedding and are my "flower flingers". They are excited! My oldest daughter will turn 15 and is my bridesmaid. She's thrilled.

I agree 6 is a fine age for flower girls, both of mine did when they were younger. You have to do what you're comfortable with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards