Snarky Brides
Options

First two rounds as a bridesmaid

I'm in my first two weddings this fall, and the brides (who are friends both with me and each other) are driving me crazy, because I hopefully have common sense and also cannot unsee these boards.

One of the brides is doing pretty well because she's got good taste and tends not to care about things that don't matter, and wants to show everyone a good time in NOLA, where she grew up. But she came down to go dress shopping this weekend, never asked for our dress budgets, and said at one point "we made hair appointments for all of you" - great, what does that mean? Are we supposed to pay for that? How much does that cost, if so? Can I say no?

The other girl is one who thinks she's being super laid back. Her mom found dresses on sale for $30-40, because she's realistic that most people may not choose to wear an entirely-sequined dress again, and they bought different styles, because she's realistic that the same dress might not look great on each of her 7 BMs. However, they bought the only sizes available in this clearance - meaning the one which I liked only came in a size 10, when I'm normally a size 2 (maybe a 4 post-baby). It'd be $150 probably to alter it down to fit, if that even worked with the sequin/pattern. Her mom was confident it could just be altered down, which is probably true, but I don't fucking want to pay for that. Defeats the whole purpose of what they did with buying sale dresses. I could actually buy the exact same dress on ModCloth in my size for $170 and we'd have the same outcome. So I went looking for my own sequiny dress, and found one for a great deal on eBay in my actual size, which I then sent to the bride. She was concerned that it might be "too shiny" because she was going for mainly "dull sequins." Okay. I talked her into it by explaining how it ws good for nursing and the unknowable size of my postpartum bump and she okayed it and I bought it, but now I'm the problem BM and she's just super accommodating and laid back.

Then this weekend the three of us were hanging out and Sequin Girl brought up that she wanted to dictate $100 shoes for everyone, but was of course (because she's very accommodating) taking into consideration that these were nude pumps which people could surely wear again, and that the heel height shouldn't be too high or the toes too pointy because that can get uncomfortable. I think this is also really her mom's idea ("There must be some continuity, because pictures"). I got her off the idea of the exact same shoe by showing her that it's not a guarantee that her size 6 and size 11 BMs will be able to find the same shoe in stock in their size, and that a nude patent pump is meant to disappear anyway so no one will notice if they're slightly different. I'm taking bets now on whether hair and makeup will be required.

I also don't think that either of them, with their engineer/lawyer salaries, realize that H and I are not able to throw money around or that having a kid this year will significantly affect our expenses and finances. I've also not been a BM before, whereas they have several times, and probably had to deal with all this stuff and thought it normal. (So they don't get why I am making a big deal over my "duties"?) I explained to H that I wish they'd just think things through - for example, requiring hair essentially says "The way you usually style yourself for events is inadequate for my precious pictures, so we're going to need someone else to step in here." H agrees, but doesn't think I should risk ruining friendships over this. But after a brunch yesterday where Sequin Girl's FI mentioned a scotch bar for just the WP, I just want to be able to tell them "UGH YOU CANNOT DO THAT. THINK." when they really think they're just being SO accommodating and clever.

Re: First two rounds as a bridesmaid

• Options
    I hate being a bridesmaid.  

I'm in 2 weddings this year also.  One bride is super on a budget, which ends up meaning the BM's have to help decorate, help make food for the rehearsal, etc.  I would have offered to do all these but I hate the attitude that she just expects us to do all this stuff for her.  

The other is having about a million pre-wedding parties, which is annoying because her registry has about 15 things on it in addition to a honeyfund and one of those house downpayment contribution things.  She said she was paying for our BM dresses, which is awesome, but we all ordered our dresses, received them, and she hasn't brought up reimbursement at all?  I'm not sure how to approach that because there's no way in hell I would have paid $189 for a dress that i hate.  She's also very not clear about who's paying for what with regards to hair and makeup (they have appointments already) or the mani/pedi BM luncheon taking place the day of the rehearsal.  

I totally understand where you're coming from.  You want to support your friends, and don't want to cause any awkwardness, but it's important to know everything you have to pay for!  I feel like I'm the troublemaker because I'm the only one asking these questions....

• Options
    edited March 2015

"Dull sequins."image

I'm afraid I don't have any advice to offer except being like "it doesn't have to be this way" to Dull Sequin Girl because there's a perfect storm brewing of her previous bridesmaid experiences, her mom dictating things, and probably a Pinterest post somewhere of a wedding party throwing back glasses of scotch that she thought was "sooooo cute." Your post seems to indicate that appealing to logic works for her, so keep on doing that.

Sorry, I just got really hung up on the "dull sequins." I know they're a "thing," but the phrase is just so oxymoronic to me.

Edit: "Glasses of scotch" rather than "shots of whiskey."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    I work for a seamstress and sizing down a size 10 sequin dress to a size 2 is just not feasible. Good thing you found one in your size. I agree with PPs that you need to keep appealing to her logical side.
  • Options

"Dull sequins."image

I'm afraid I don't have any advice to offer except being like "it doesn't have to be this way" to Dull Sequin Girl because there's a perfect storm brewing of her previous bridesmaid experiences, her mom dictating things, and probably a Pinterest post somewhere of a wedding party throwing back glasses of scotch that she thought was "sooooo cute." Your post seems to indicate that appealing to logic works for her, so keep on doing that.

Sorry, I just got really hung up on the "dull sequins." I know they're a "thing," but the phrase is just so oxymoronic to me.

I know on the dull sequins. They have to be covered in sequins, but can't be too shiny...

I think the scotch bar is her FI's idea. He just wants to have nice scotch with his GMs but doesn't want to pay for it for the whole reception, I think.

I do think she is truly trying to do the right thing while also caring (in my mind) far too much about things that don't matter, which wouldn't be an issue if it didn't directly affect my wallet or the guests. So logic is working, but I don't want to go too far and seem like I'm unwilling to do anything for her. She is absolutely the girl who has bent over backwards and gone above and beyond in other WP and I don't know if she would easily see that "giving the bride whatever she wants" when it's her "turn" does not have to be what indicates a good friendship.

• Options
    I actually have no idea what "dull sequins" are. And I'm sorry that you are going through this. It absolutely blows my mind with some of the stuff that I have heard about lately re: brides treating their WP's like crap. One of my friends (who will be a bridesmaid of mine most likely when I ask) is in a wedding in September, and she told me yesterday that the bride is asking her BM's to buy their bouquets. In addition to the dress, shoes, makeup, hair, and jewelry that she is requiring. My jaw hit the floor. I told my friend to send that bride over here >:)

• Options
    Just because I'm a PIA, I want to throw in there that I have an "engineering salary" and there is no way that I would put you though that. That's just . . . bleh! I like to think I'm pretty budget conscious and I recognize that a lot of other people are going to be in similar situations in different parts of their lives especially with just having a kid, buying a house, graduating from school, etc. Good luck and god speed! You're going to need it. 

Also, I am not a big fan of people who label themselves as "laid back" or "easy going". Normally they seem to be the opposite or about as high strung as me. One of my friends said she was going to be the most amazing brides because she will have everything planned and make it easier for all of her bridesmaids. This includes what she wants to do for the bridal shower, bachelorette and my favorite - she wants to pair up the bridesmaids and groomsmen so that they have to do homework before the wedding getting to know each other and preparing an intro dance. I'm a little nervous.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I was a bridesmaid for the first time just last year. Lots of issues. The bride (my friend from college) and her fiance set a date for a big church wedding and reception but ended up going to a courthouse soon after their engagement for military benefits. She didn't tell anyone except for her parents and a few friends including myself. She and her mother will still adamant about planning the big wedding that they had already scheduled.

Bride would call me crying about finding the perfect wedding dress, about how annoying it was that the dream church they wanted was so expensive -- all the while I'm like, really? Didn't ask any of us about dress budgets and picked a pricey little number and asked us to buy it within 4 weeks. Also kindly let us know what shoes to buy and that she was going to wear her hair down, so that we should all plan to wear our hair up. Day of wedding she was a ball of stress. Nasty attitude all day, annoyed that we weren't all smiles and giggles getting ready, and made us do multiple posed photos where all the bridesmaids are lovingly looking at the bride putting on her dress and veil. So much more but in a nutshell, she turned bridezilla for a PPD. 

And now that I'm engaged she keeps reminding me that they key is to just relax and have fun like she did at her wedding.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

Posts like this always make me happy that I've never been asked to be a bridesmaid.

@AuroraRose41 - WTF? She wants them to buy their bouquets?! If you can't afford it just don't have the flowers, JFC.

• Options

• "Dull sequins."image

I know on the dull sequins. They have to be covered in sequins, but can't be too shiny...

I think the scotch bar is her FI's idea. He just wants to have nice scotch with his GMs but doesn't want to pay for it for the whole reception, I think.  So why can't he do that with them while everyone is getting ready?  He and the GMs can meet for lunch or something and have scotch.

I do think she is truly trying to do the right thing while also caring (in my mind) far too much about things that don't matter, which wouldn't be an issue if it didn't directly affect my wallet or the guests. So logic is working, but I don't want to go too far and seem like I'm unwilling to do anything for her. She is absolutely the girl who has bent over backwards and gone above and beyond in other WP and I don't know if she would easily see that "giving the bride whatever she wants" when it's her "turn" does not have to be what indicates a good friendship.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

• "Dull sequins."image

I think the scotch bar is her FI's idea. He just wants to have nice scotch with his GMs but doesn't want to pay for it for the whole reception, I think.  So why can't he do that with them while everyone is getting ready?  He and the GMs can meet for lunch or something and have scotch.

Probably because early afternoon Catholic wedding then gap...?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards