Chit Chat

Psychics and Tarot Cards

OK I am the first to admit I'm not really a believer in this.  However, when I was in NOLA this weekend a friend of mine and I went to get our cards read.  It was so eerily spot on.  I legit pulled the death card on my love life and she asked me immediately if i had a broken engagement recently.  SO insane.  Everything from career, love life, family, it was dead on.  Same for my friend, and nothing that was said for her could have applied to me and vice versa.  She did tell me I had a strong marriage line on my hand for my early 30's after the broken part so that was nice haha.

Are you a believer?  Ever had a crazy experience?

Re: Psychics and Tarot Cards

• When I was in high school, there was a creepy run down house in town with a neon "psychic" sign in the window and a bunch of us went because we thought it would be funny. She told me that I was an old soul and that I've lived before. Also that I or someone close to me would be paralyzed soon. That's all I remember - the rest was a bunch of generic "you'll be successful blah blah blah" fortune cookie bullshit. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • When I was in high school, there was a creepy run down house in town with a neon "psychic" sign in the window and a bunch of us went because we thought it would be funny. She told me that I was an old soul and that I've lived before. Also that I or someone close to me would be paralyzed soon. That's all I remember - the rest was a bunch of generic "you'll be successful blah blah blah" fortune cookie bullshit. 

Yeah the only other time I had anythign to do with it, it was all bs.

this was so creepy and spot on.  It's been 3 days and I'm still weirded out by it.

this was so creepy and spot on.  It's been 3 days and I'm still weirded out by it.
    I would be too. That is creepy that it was so accurate and personal. 

Did she tell you to start a business or be a surrogate or any huge thing like that?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm like a kind of a believer. I've had great readings and really shitty ones. I had one where the woman kept telling me I was going to meet the man of my dreams and I was like "Lady I have already met the woman of my dreams you are just telling me what you think I want to hear".

My mom's friend runs a metaphysical shop and has several readers in there. There is one I go to a lot, mostly because we end up talking about Doctor Who for hours, but I've always found him to be really good. Like when I got a reading just after I met wifey, towards the end he asked if I had questions and I was trying to think of something and he goes "Children? I know you weren't going to ask but you've been thinking about kids and if you will be a good mom. You will be but...you won't become a mom in a traditional way. I never see you getting pregnant. Are you open to adoption maybe?" and I didn't know him well then. I didn't tell him anything other than my name and birthday.

And the last time we saw him he pulled Wifey aside and told her congratulations on the pregnancy and he saw a lot of happiness for us. But...we haven't told anyone who he talks to that she's pregnant. 

I would be too. That is creepy that it was so accurate and personal. 

Did she tell you to start a business or be a surrogate or any huge thing like that?
    Haha nothing like that.  But she was spot on about my job and how I need a different environment where I can be more creative and work with a team (I mainly freelance now and am looking to go to a firm and actually have a phone interview tomorrow) and how I have to deal with my anxiety in different ways.  It was crazy.

• I'm kind of weird because I'm a bit superstitious and usually believe in stuff like this, but then I always try to look for scientific explanations to make it potential fact and not just a belief. 

Supposedly, humans used to have a literal 6th sense where we were telepathic because we HAD to be in order to survive (like in the cave man era). The world was so dangerous for humans that we had to know what was going to happen (or at least get hints of impending danger). And supposedly over several thousand years, we no longer needed the 6th sense for survival so it mostly evolved away, but it's theorized that some humans still retain it in their brain and can access it to some extent. That makes me think that some card readers/palm readers/whatever might really "know" things. Maybe. 

I've had some crappy, clearly fake tarot card readings but I had one shockingly accurate reading, so yeah... I do think that good readers can tell you things that are legit. 
  • We had a tarot card reader come do a party/class for me and my friends and it was AWESOME! I loved her perspective on readings. She wasn't the type of hardcore psychic who says she can literally predict the future/read minds/whatever. Her stance was more that we use our own subconscious/intuition/energy when drawing/shuffling/dealing the cards and that they're more a lens through which we can view our own lives and choices and help us make decisions. Which I think was a really healthy perspective.

Some of the stuff that happened was eerily spot on though. During one of my friend Beth's second round of readings, she pulled a card and asked "Is your boyfriend or husband an alcoholic?" At this point, she had been at my apt for 15 minutes. She knew nothing about Beth except that she was 25 years old and had just started a new job... she had no idea if Beth even HAD a boyfriend/husband. But she did... and he had just left a bartending job because he was getting sucked into the service industry lifestyle, which in a lot of circles can involve a lot of drug and alcohol abuse. She had very recently had a come-to-Jesus talk with him about his drinking and their relationship.

We bought our own deck too, and even some of THOSE have been crazy. We did readings for each other recently, and decided we just wanted to do one more reading and that it would be for the whole group. It was a two-card reading, and the first one we drew was about friends who become more like family. I almost cried it was so perfect.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• You guys know that movie Skeleton Key with Kate Hudson? Everytime this type of topic comes up I think of that movie and freak myself out.
    It's one of the reasons why I won't let my SIL give me a reading. I don't want to put stock in it incase is real.
    Anniversary

• I'm on the fence. In general, I think most psychics and readers are just okay at reading people, and just do the bs fortunes.

But.

Every now and then you get that one that's a bit too spot on to be coincidence. 

Anniversary
  • I've done some research on so called "cold reading" and it's made me even more skeptical than I already was. I recommend reading a bit about it if it's freaking you out so you can learn the tricks they use.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm kind of a believer. My best friend actually used to really be into psychics, she used to get readings like every week. I went with her maybe twice in HS. I remember I got a really terrible "reading" in which she told me I would end up at my dream school (I didn't), that I would end up with my HS "love" at the time (again - I did not), and I forget what the 3rd one was. Clearly, garbage.

A few years later, though when I was 25, my best friend was REALLY into these things. She used to go to the Botanicas (pretty much stores you find in hispanic neighborhoods in the city that sell herbs, candles,saints witchcraft stuff, etc) and used to buy candles for different things - love, money, etc. As well as other herbs and items. Anyways, at the time, FI and I were broken up. I went with her to her regular psychic, and I remember she told me a lot of things that were really eerie. Like things about where my life was at the time. She also said that after a really crappy period of not talking to each other, etc, we would end up back together and get married. I mean, at the time we had been together for years, typically that's what happens. I still found it eerie, though. And of course, it gave me a sense of hope haha.

I no longer go to them, neither does my best friend. It was fun though, when looking back on it.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• flyingfoxesflyingfoxes member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015

I've had one or two that were pretty accurate in general.  Like when I broke up with my ex, I had a reading and she told me my future spouse was there, just waiting for me to be ready to meet him.  I met FI 2 months later on eHarmony.   

This lady also told me I'd get the job I was applying for and be working in my jammies at home by the end of the year, and that didn't pan out, lol. 

I find it all very fascinating, though, and especially like the line of thought that you control what you attract and the universe just wants to help you.  I remember when I was with my ex I was so fucking weak even though I KNEW he was up to no good - I remember crying and begging the Universe to help me get out - not even 2 months later the (married) woman he'd been fucking for 8 months found me on Facebook out of the blue.  I guess when I ask for help, I get hit over the head with a giant hammer.  haha

**ETA - shit - the HR lady I met with last year about a different job here at the company messaged me that there's another opening in that department.  She's going to check to see if that hiring manager would even consider a teleworker...hmm..

• I've been to 1 or 2.  My cousin and I went to the psychic in the tree in Waikiki and she said a lot about me that was pretty accurate, though nothing about future stuff.  More personality type stuff.  Anyway, she gave me a card with my aura or something, and I wrote down all the timelines.  I should go find it, cos I wrote down when she said I would meet DH and get married.  I should see if it was correct. 

I went to another one who told me that I'm be married with 2 kids in 3 years.  My first though was hell no, I'll make sure that doesn't happen.  I think she though that's what I wanted to hear and she couldn't have been more wrong.  Well, 7-ish years later and I'm still kidless.  

• I'm kind of weird because I'm a bit superstitious and usually believe in stuff like this, but then I always try to look for scientific explanations to make it potential fact and not just a belief. 

Supposedly, humans used to have a literal 6th sense where we were telepathic because we HAD to be in order to survive (like in the cave man era). The world was so dangerous for humans that we had to know what was going to happen (or at least get hints of impending danger). And supposedly over several thousand years, we no longer needed the 6th sense for survival so it mostly evolved away, but it's theorized that some humans still retain it in their brain and can access it to some extent. That makes me think that some card readers/palm readers/whatever might really "know" things. Maybe. 

I've had some crappy, clearly fake tarot card readings but I had one shockingly accurate reading, so yeah... I do think that good readers can tell you things that are legit. 

DH and I regularly think the same thing at the same time.  It is very common for us to attempt to call or text each other at the same time. I used to think it was just coincidence or from us being around each other so much.  But, then a few years ago, I was driving home on the highway, hit some debris and damaged my car.  As soon as I pulled over to the side of the road, I get a call from DH (then boyfriend) and before I even say hi, he immediately says "Are you okay?"... no "hi", "what's up" or our typical greetings... just "Are you okay?"... he had no reason to suspect there was anything was wrong, I wasn't late getting home or anything.  It was REALLY creepy.  I actually asked him if he had installed a camera or some type of tracking device in my car.  He said he just got a sudden bad feeling that something was wrong.  After that I definitely believe that there can be some type of psychic connection. Honestly, I think that was the moment I was convinced that he was meant to be my future husband.

I'm not sure I believe in most of the psychic readings or tarot cards.  I actually own tarot cards, but they've never been surprisingly accurate for me.  Last year my sister got a card reading in New Orleans and they told her that she had a lot of changes coming up in her life but that they would turn out bad.  She had just moved, new job, and about to get married, so definitely lots of changes, but she certainly didn't want to hear that it would all go bad.  Although, so far it's all worked out for her, so hopefully the reading was wrong. Most of the things they were telling her were pretty generic though and she was giving off a lot with her reactions, so I'm not sure how psychic they were.  I do believe that there are likely real psychics out there, but probably not enough for all the psychic reading places set up everywhere. And it's not easy to tell the good ones from the bad.

• WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    For my religion requirement for my social studies minor, I took Witchcraft and the Occult.  It was super interesting.  We talked about tarot cards and how most are not accurate at the moment.  They were used by secret groups to spread messages but were eventually changed so that only the members would know what was wrong to decode the message.  Those changes are seen now as regular, making most current tarot cards actually incorrect.  Forgive me if it's a little unclear.  This class was about 15 years ago now.  It was a very cool class though, with an amazing prof.  

ETA - spelling

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015
    I don't believe it, and I have never had any sort of readings done.  I don't even read my horoscope, and I actually don't even know what astrological sign I am.

Three reasons:

I do not believe it's real but the psychics pull from what you've told them, tell mostly generic things, or build off your body language.

I don't think it's good to know the future or try to know the future. I believe in living my life every day as if it could be my last and trying to make the most of every moment now.

As a Christian, I also believe only God knows the future, and the Bible has multiple verses against going to psychics and fortune tellers.
  • Well, I am pretty damn open about being a witch, so there is a lot of "woo woo" stuff I believe and I have felt, seen and produced some pretty powerful energy inside of ritual circles.  I believe in spirits, energy and a conscious universe.  The way I see it, that's not anymore crazier or weirder than any other religion or spiritual belief so I stay respectful of all different faiths. 

Except Scientologists.  Nuff said.

As for Tarot, in my experience Tarot cards basically tell you what you already know and try to point you on the right path and help you make the right decision.  I tend to seek out readings from my friends when I am facing a tough decision or I feel stuck and I am looking for guidance on what to do next. I have seen some charlatans and I have seen people who know what they are doing.  I refuse to pay for a reading (mostly because I can easily get one for free from several of my friends) and also I'm wary of people who do that for money, too easy to start abusing the gift.

When I am very close to someone (BF, several of my best friends) and if they are similarly, spiritually inclined I can't shut them out.  I know what they are thinking, I know what they are feeling and we kind of start to speak our own language. (note: not straight up reading their mind, that would be awful, but say things at the same time, no precisely what their mood is and often figure out big announcements before they say anything).

• I'm definitely a believe in all that hippie dippy woo woo shit. That's pretty interesting that the tarot reader was so spot on. Kind of makes me want to buy a set of cards and give myself readings.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Nope. I just cannot get into any woowoo shit (ghosts, psychics, god... none of it). I do think it would be fun to go, though.
  • I think it's interesting, and I doooooo love a serendipitous coincidence. That's usually what all of those are about. BUT, I don't buy the woowoo shit. For fun only.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• It's cool if you don't, please remember I don't call other people's beliefs "shit".

• ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

It's cool if you don't, please remember I don't call other people's beliefs "shit".

"Woowoo shit" is an expression and is obviously not me calling your beliefs shit, Sensitive Sally. Do we need to put on the kid gloves and say "woowoo stuff" now?

ETA: In case you were not aware, that is rhetorical, because I do not do kid gloves. 
  • drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    edited March 2015

It's cool if you don't, please remember I don't call other people's beliefs "shit".

"Woowoo shit" is an expression and is obviously not me calling your beliefs shit, Sensitive Sally. Do we need to put on the kid gloves and say "woowoo stuff" now?

ETA: In case you were not aware, that is rhetorical, becaue I do not do kid gloves. 
    defensive statement, general insult, hissy fit, GBCK flounce and you don't know my life.

But then I'll come back three posts from now with some incoherent, mispelled rambling.

Yayyyy! My first knot meltdown. That was fun.

• It's cool if you don't, please remember I don't call other people's beliefs "shit".

I was using shit like one would say, "I'm going to get some shit at the store."

Wasn't intended to be a burn on anybody or their beliefs. I just cuss a lot.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

ETA: In case you were not aware, that is rhetorical, becaue I do not do kid gloves. 
    defensive statement, general insult, hissy fit, GBCK flounce and you don't know my life. ;)

But then I'll come back three posts from now with some incoherent, mispelled rambling.

Yayyyy! My first knot meltdown. That was fun.
    BINGO!

... did I do it right?

ETA: You should really also feel sorry for my husband. And my kids. And my dog.
  • drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    edited March 2015
    beethery said:

Thin skinned overly defensive accusation, whiny excuse about how you hurt my fee-fees, and another flounce.

In other words I'm saying this, looking at my post I did over react, but

Wait for it

I'M A UNIQUE SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE

In other words. Sorry bro, hope ya'all don't hold it against me.
    ETA when I want tp press o my phone gives me an i. Stupid phone.

• beethery said:

Thin skinned overly defensive accusation, whiny excuse about how you hurt my fee-fees, and anither flounce.

In other words I'm saying this, looking at my post I did over react, but

Wait for it

I'M A UNIQUE SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE

In ither words. Sorry bro, hope ya'all don't hold it against me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards