Chit Chat
Options

"The Carpet" and a marble dance floor

Was it @larrygaga who was so bothered by The Carpet in all of the venues?

So, my venue has The Carpet.  Forest green with gold medallions and scrolly things.  And a wooden dance floor.  Very basic restaurant event hall.  We were there this weekend mocking up our centerpieces and tablecloths and the venue manager mentioned that they are putting in a new dance floor next week.

The new dance floor will be pink marble with a black diamond border.

Pink marble with a black border.  On a forest green and gold carpet.

I tried to tell myself there is absolutely nothing I can do about it now.  You won't notice what the dance floor looks like once it's packed with people, right?  I smiled and nodded.

The silver lining is that he is pushing the owners to install ivory carpet so as not to compete with the pink marble dance floor.  God help him, because I can't imagine that dance floor combined with The Carpet.

Also-- has anybody even heard of a marble dance floor?  What if somebody busts their ass?  This sounds like a recipe for ass-busting.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: "The Carpet" and a marble dance floor

• Options
    KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    It sounds... slippery? But I agree with you that no one will notice it visually during an actual wedding reception. I wouldn't worry about the look at all!

(And yeah, I really don't know why venues do The Carpet thing.)
  • Options
    I have visions of people moonwalking....

At least the ivory carpeting will be better than The Carpet.

Also, I have no memory of what the floor looked like at our venue. There was carpet and a wooden dance floor but no clue beyond that. No one will notice.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I think some places do marble. Like, hotel ballrooms.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Oh heavens. I shall also add traction to my Basket shoes.

• Options
    I gotta be honest, I first read this as carpet and MOBILE dance floor.  I had visions of your dance floor elevating up and moving around. Like solid gold. 
  • Options
    Aah that definitely sounds like a terrible idea on their part.....in Greece all of the apartments and hotels we stayed had marble floors and they were so fucking slippery. Make sure staff is on hand if anyone spills a drink because once it's wet it's 100% disastrous! But no the colors will be fine- no one will notice or care! 

• Options
    I love your signature with this post :)

• Options
    Maybe the marble isn't smooth... maybe it's cut to have a rougher surface for better traction? I mean... that could be a thing, right? Yikes.

And ivory sounds better but then I picture that ivory carpet after a few events and all the spills that happen... red wine stains, mushroom sauce stains, cake frosting stains, dirty shoes stains, etc etc etc and it seems even worse than the green and gold. Luckily if they install it, it sounds like your event will be early enough in the life of the ivory carpet that it will still be nice.

Just keep the lights dim ;)
  • Options
    The Universe is getting revenge for all the snarky thoughts that went through my head when FPILs spent literally tens of thousands of dollars to redo all the floors, throughout their entire house, including the stairs, in marble.  That place is a death trap.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

The Universe is getting revenge for all the snarky thoughts that went through my head when FPILs spent literally tens of thousands of dollars to redo all the floors, throughout their entire house, including the stairs, in marble.  That place is a death trap.

• Options

Noooooo!  That's fake, right?  Gah!  At least the poor kitty gets up at the end.  And yes, it's just like that, except you'd probably break bones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    anyone else read "The Carpet" and have their mind go, umm downstairs.....like "does the carpet match the drapes" Carpet ..... I think I've been around my FI too much, I now think like him, Lord help me
  • Options

Noooooo!  That's fake, right?  Gah!  At least the poor kitty gets up at the end.  And yes, it's just like that, except you'd probably break bones.
    lol I know, the poor thing goes the entire way to the bottom! But that's all I could think of when you said marble stairs... falling all the way down! 

I kind of hate marble. Not only is it scary on stairs/floors, but my parents' house was built around 1910 and totally renovated/redecorated in the early 80s by a the wealthy owner who had ties to the mob (and later disappeared under very mysterious circumstances, so when my parents bought the house they were visited by FBI agents *just in case*, but anyway). 

FI and I always joke that my parents live in Scar Face's house because of the glam 80s touches that are still there. Which includes a GIANT brown and white marble fireplace in the living room, which is the ugliest fireplace I've ever seen. I've always fantasized taking a sledge hammer to that awful marble. Bleh. 
  • Options
    I HATE THE CARPET

I don't understand it. Make your room beautiful and you will have more people wanting to book there. WHAT THE FUCK is the mindset behind the carpet?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Especially because you know The Carpet has never been cleaned properly. Ewwwwwww.

Why not have something durable and attractive and neutral that isn't carpet and impossible to clean without an industrial steam cleaner and 48 hours to dry?!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Especially because you know The Carpet has never been cleaned properly. Ewwwwwww.

Why not have something durable and attractive and neutral that isn't carpet and impossible to clean without an industrial steam cleaner and 48 hours to dry?!
    Right.  I don't understand why hardwood floors aren't just the norm in catering venues.  Easier to clean, beautiful, so much more durable, and neutral.

But this forest green carpet with gold medallions?  Awesome!  Add some flowers to it?  Great!  That won't clash with anyone's decor!

And yes, I get that nobody really looks at the floor.  It will be fine.  It's just such a silly thing to do as a business owner--- you'd think neutral would be the way to go.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Wouldn't the marble chip like hell with heels? That sounds like a horrible plan.

Plus light-colored carpet in any high-traffic area is a terrible idea. Just terrible.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards