Chit Chat
Options

Passing Gas

So my coworker came into my office to ask me a question. When she leaned down to write my answer down, she farted. She didn't say anything, neither did I.

It got me thinking - what would you have done if you were her? I believe I did the proper thing, ignore it, not call her out and further embarrass her. However, I think if I had been the one to fart, even accidentally, I would have acknowledged the transgression and  apologized.

It's not the end of the world, everyone passes gas. Just curious how you would handle an embarrassing, stray root-a-toot?
:kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

Re: Passing Gas

• Options
    I would definitely say, "Oh I'm sorry, excuse me" if I were her.

Obviously, you did the right thing by ignoring her, but she should have said something.

• Options
    emmaaa said:

I would definitely say, "Oh I'm sorry, excuse me" if I were her.

Obviously, you did the right thing by ignoring her, but she should have said something.
    This.  And because I'm really mature when it comes to this subject it would have taken everything I had to not giggle if that happened to me.
  • Options
    I would definitely say "excuse me". Then again, I still say "excuse me" if I fart in front of H. Maybe I am just weird about farting?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

My face would be on fire, but I would have said "excuse me".

• Options
    A while back my coworker from LA was visiting my office and working in an empty cubicle behind me. He let out a big, nasty fart. I'm glad no one could the face I made. It happened again the next morning. My coworkers and I did the polite thing by not saying anything. Happened AGAIN, I turned to my coworker who sits across from me and we both made a face like "WTF ewww" but didn't say anything. It happened several more times over the course of the afternoon. Either this guy ate something  he shouldn't have, or he's just way to used to working in an office by himself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    One time my coworker was talking to me in my cube when I thought I heard something, and then the stench of rotting eggs penetrated my cubicle. I blurted out "Did you just fart?!!?!?" He started laughing and said "Yea, kinda..." He's one of my good friends from work though, so it wasn't as awkward.

I also used to sit behind a guy who used to pass really SMELLY gas at his desk, and the stench would spread to mine. I never said anything because at the time I didn't know him well, and he never said anything either.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    My coworker likes to get my attention and then fart audibly and laugh.  I could do without it.  I could also do without her mentioning that she's going to "drop some friends off at the pool" when she goes to the restroom. 

I would have apologized and died of embarrasment if  was OP's coworker. 

• Options
    I would probably just be so embarrassed that I would ignore it and pretend it didn't happen.  Acknowledging it just makes it worse I think.  But there's nothing wrong with an "excuse me."

I've farted in front of my personal trainer twice in three years.  Freaking kettlebell swings.
  • Options
    I probably would have broken down into giggles, whether I was the farter or the hearer. Because, farts are funny, duh.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

In the bathroom - ignore.

In front of a co-worker - apologize and excuse yourself!

In front of H - brag when I have a good one!  H never lets me forget that I was the first to fart in front of the other in our relationship.

• Options
    I don't know... I'd like to think I'd have my wits about me to say excuse me, but with an unexpected one like that, I don't know. Obviously it slipped it, so she probably froze and didn't know what to do.

If I have to fart, I shut my office door or go to the bathroom. One time, I got bold thinking I could sneak one out silently and it was a squeaker. Oops. I didn't say excuse me but I'm sure my assistant heard it.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Oh my gosh, I probably would have laughed (because I am 12) but then said excuse me.  It's mortifying, but I would hope laughing about it would ease the embarrassment
  • Options
    I work in an office with 5 other men, there is a lot of gas passed up here. We usually joke about it, but when it's for real, we at least excuse ourselves to the bathroom (even though some of the guys still think it's necessary to ANNOUNCE it).  

I'm really immature when it comes to that stuff bc even the WORD "fart" makes me laugh.

I've only done it in front of FI like MAYBE 3 times, but he gets a kick out of it. The first time I did it he giggled so much and grinned & said "I'm so proud!". 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    If you ask me, I'll tell you that I don't fart. Or burp. Or poop. Or do anything gross, at all, ever. I tried to convince FI of this very early on into our relationship. Needless to say, it did not work. 

Real talk: I honestly would probably be too embarrassed to say anything at all. That's probably what your coworker was thinking by not saying excuse me. You would have been a saint in my book for allowing me to ignore it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    If it's audible I say excuse me.

If it's silent I say nothing and hope no one notices.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Confession: After almost three years together, neither FI nor I have ever farted in front of the other.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

blabla89 said:

Confession: After almost three years together, neither FI nor I have ever farted in front of the other.

HOW?
    Because we don't live together, I guess?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    blabla89 said:

After six years DH has only farted in front of me once. I was tickling him and tickled it out of him. That was about a year into our relationship. I have only done it once in front of him. I jumped up on the tail gate of his truck while we were dove hunting and it slipped. That was this past year. DH thought it was hilarious.

We don't fart in front of each other (on purpose) out of respect for another. That's just our relationship, not that I think it's disrespectful if you and your SO fart in front of each other if you're both okay with it.

• Options
    blabla89 said:

blabla89 said:

HOW?
    Because we don't live together, I guess?
    Oh, makes sense then. I used to leave the room and crop dust around other rooms/hallways to try and spread it out when we were still dating. 

Now I just give him a sad look and say "I'm sorry in advance" and let it go.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    If it were me that farted I would have laughed and said excuse me/apologized.  I would never mention it if someone else did (like your coworker) until they said something first.
  • Options
    emmaaa said:

blabla89 said:

After six years DH has only farted in front of me once. I was tickling him and tickled it out of him. That was about a year into our relationship. I have only done it once in front of him. I jumped up on the tail gate of his truck while we were dove hunting and it slipped. That was this past year. DH thought it was hilarious.

We don't fart in front of each other (on purpose) out of respect for another. That's just our relationship, not that I think it's disrespectful if you and your SO fart in front of each other if you're both okay with it.
    This is kind of how we are - I usually will go into another room to do it.  Although I know I've let some loud ones fly while asleep because I've woken up right after doing it so I'm sure he's heard those.  It's not like we don't know we do it, we just don't do it openly. 

• Options
    edited March 2015
    blabla89 said:

Me, too. Except once.  I took a muscle relaxer and couldn't help it. H was laughing hysterically, because he knows I never do it and I was embarrassed. He laughed for 20 minutes. I slept in the guest room, that night. Lol
  • Options

emmaaa said:

blabla89 said:

This is kind of how we are - I usually will go into another room to do it.  Although I know I've let some loud ones fly while asleep because I've woken up right after doing it so I'm sure he's heard those.  It's not like we don't know we do it, we just don't do it openly. 
    Oh yeah, DH has farted in his sleep many times, as I'm sure I have too.

• Options
    My DH farts all the time.  It's ridiculous.   I swear he thinks he is serenading me or something.

I would have said excused me or even laughed.  I mean, farting is kind of normal.  Sometimes they just come out.

If they person didn't say excuse me I would not saying anything.  I'm sure they were embarrassed no need to pile on.

I'm not really a gassy person.  I rarely fart or burp for that matter.  If I do I don't have a problem doing it in front of DH.    But honestly it just doesn't happen often because the rare cases I do he seems to be not around. 

Which is kind of annoying since I get hear/smell both his and the bulldogs farts EVERY DAY.   They deserve paybacks dammit

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

I would probably pretend it didn't happen. And then I would die of embarrassment. 

This! I would be mortified.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    If I accidentally eat gluten, all bets are off. At work, I will run to the bathroom (I don't give a fuck about farting loudly in the bathroom). I have farted in front of BF (gluten) and I blame it on the cat.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards