Chit Chat
Options

Tips for stronger nails?

I swear I have the weakest nails on earth. They break so easily. I've been working really hard since getting engaged to let them grow, but no matter what I do they still break. I take the max amount of biotin everyday, but is there anything else I could be doing? Tips please!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tips for stronger nails?

• Options

Calling @laqueredover!

I used to have the most brittle nails but I've noticed that if I file my nails often (to keep them neat) and paint them more often, they grow better and stronger.

Also, calcium.

• Options
    emmaaa said:

Calling @laqueredover!

I used to have the most brittle nails but I've noticed that if I file my nails often (to keep them neat) and paint them more often, they grow better and stronger.

Also, calcium.

I try to keep them painted, even if it's just clear. Maybe I need better quality nail polish.
    And on the calcium note - I drink tons of milk! Always have, always will. But maybe a calcium supplement would help too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I usually use Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails when I don't have color on them.
  • Options
    JoanE2012 said:

I usually use Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails when I don't have color on them.

Same here. I love it! I also started using a basecoat under my polish and it has made a huge difference. I either use Sally Hansen Double Duty or Avon Beginnings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I've only broken one nail in the entire time I've been taking prenatal vitamins (about a year now; my gynecologist said it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and start taking them even though our timeline for TTC is still in a holding pattern)
  • Options
    @lacqueredlover recommended this to rehab my nails from all the damage acrylics have done. It's worked wonderfully! 

Also I've been taking Biotin. The difference is very noticeable. 

• Options
    I second the prenatals.

My hair also looks fabulous as a result of them. I have had several people stop me and ask what I started doing to my hair to make it look so healthy and shiny.
  • Options
    My nails are shit - they are very very thin and bendy.  I managed to get all of them semi-long, but then they all broke off.  I'm interested to know what other stuff is out there that could possibly help (taking Biotin, but I honestly don't think I see a difference and I've been taking it for 4 months now).

• Options
    Rejuvacote or Quimica both will work wonders on weak nails.  Be sure to use it as base coat, and use it even if you aren't painting your nails.  Also, keep your nails short while they are growing stronger so they won't break as often.  Also, moisturize!  Make sure you keep lotioning your hands so they stay nice and hydrated and healthy.

• Options
    lacqueredlover is nail goddess. She knows all.

I've been taking biotin, 5000mcg from Costco. It's grape flavored and dissolves in my mouth, I actually take it twice a day sometimes because it's actually yummy. 

I always try to keep my nails painted or else I will peel the top layer of the nails, then make  them break and brittle. My nails bend easily, so if I paint them, I don't see what's wrong with them and try to pick at it (like layers or one end being longer than the other). 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • Options
     i use sally hansen hard as nails at least 2 coats and i make it at least a week before any chipping. i have also been using jamberry nails that also help to keep them together if they crack or split. 
  • Options
    MadHops21 said:

lacqueredlover is nail goddess. She knows all.

I've been taking biotin, 5000mcg from Costco. It's grape flavored and dissolves in my mouth, I actually take it twice a day sometimes because it's actually yummy. 

I always try to keep my nails painted or else I will peel the top layer of the nails, then make  them break and brittle. My nails bend easily, so if I paint them, I don't see what's wrong with them and try to pick at it (like layers or one end being longer than the other). 
    I think that's the same biotin I take, except mine is from Sam's and is cherry flavored! I love it :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Rejuvacote or Quimica both will work wonders on weak nails.  Be sure to use it as base coat, and use it even if you aren't painting your nails.  Also, keep your nails short while they are growing stronger so they won't break as often.  Also, moisturize!  Make sure you keep lotioning your hands so they stay nice and hydrated and healthy.

Can those be found at any store (Target, etc), or online, or where? I also put lotion on constantly, but my hands and nails are still super dry. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    artbyalliesarahufl, once I start TTC, or even start thinking about it I probably will go that route. But never before talking to my doctor about it. Strong nails is one pregnancy benefit I'm looking forward to ;) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    anrforanr said:

Can those be found at any store (Target, etc), or online, or where? I also put lotion on constantly, but my hands and nails are still super dry. 
    I bought my Rejuvacote from Amazon for under $10. 
  • Options
    anrforanr said:

artbyalliesarahufl, once I start TTC, or even start thinking about it I probably will go that route. But never before talking to my doctor about it. Strong nails is one pregnancy benefit I'm looking forward to ;) 

Prenatals also cause your hair to grow!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

anrforanr said:

Prenatals also cause your hair to grow!
    My hair already grows super fast! :) Probably from all the biotin ha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    My mom swears by flax oil.  It's also really good for your hair.  I used to take it and I've gotten out of it, but I need to restart.  I had way less hair fall out (not like I ever had a lot, just the normal hair coming out in the shower or whatever) when I was taking it.  My nails also seemed to grow faster.  My mom has noticed the same thing.  

You can get it at any health food store, and I've gotten it at Fred Meyer.  You take just take a big spoonful per day.
  • Options
    ORANGES!! Seriously. When I was studying abroad, there was an orange grove on our little "campus," so I ate at least one orange a day. My nails were so strong I could barely even clip them. I think it's the Vitamin C.

Normally, when I'm not an orange fiend, I have to be really careful or my nails will split. So, yeah, eat some oranges :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards