Chit Chat
Options

Door to Door Sales

Please tell me I'm not the only total push over! I just bought $250 worth of beef because some guy came to the door selling it.. I'm starting to think working at home is not saving me any money!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Door to Door Sales

• Options
    My FI totally is.  We now get weekly dairy milk delivered to our house because of a salesman. Before, I used to buy one half gallon of Lactaid milk, at $4.19 a week for him (I don't drink milk). Our last order was a half gallon, a quart, a quart of strawberry milk, and a quart of chocolate milk, for about $15.00.  I pay for all of our groceries so while the half gallon of milk is cheaper, we have to have a 3 bottle minimum now so we order a bunch of stuff we never did before.

I will say the interesting thing is, the dairy milk does not bother him at all like regular store-bought milk (hence the Lactaid).  He has Crohn's disease so a lot of stuff bothers him, but this dairy milk doesn't.  So, I think I'm stuck paying for it.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    As long as the beef is good and you can afford it, it's all good.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    Oh god, no! Never!

You bought a bunch of raw meat from rando on your doorstep? And you're going to eat it?
  • Options
    Yeah, no. My cold heart won't even open the door for the cute little middle school kid peddling magazines, let alone for meat sellers, window washers, roof repairers, lawn mowers, religion pushers, and/or the neighborhood welcome wagon. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My FI totally is.  We now get weekly dairy milk delivered to our house because of a salesman. Before, I used to buy one half gallon of Lactaid milk, at $4.19 a week for him (I don't drink milk). Our last order was a half gallon, a quart, a quart of strawberry milk, and a quart of chocolate milk, for about $15.00.  I pay for all of our groceries so while the half gallon of milk is cheaper, we have to have a 3 bottle minimum now so we order a bunch of stuff we never did before.

I will say the interesting thing is, the dairy milk does not bother him at all like regular store-bought milk (hence the Lactaid).  He has Crohn's disease so a lot of stuff bothers him, but this dairy milk doesn't.  So, I think I'm stuck paying for it.
    I love milk that is delivered.    We don't have it now, but I would totally go back if I could.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

Please tell me I'm not the only total push over! I just bought $250 worth of beef because some guy came to the door selling it.. I'm starting to think working at home is not saving me any money!

I totally got suckered into this once. I was home sick with the flu and never should have answered the door and he was so pushy and I just wanted him to shut up and go away and the next thing I knew I had a freezer full of meat.

FI called the company and got them to let us return it all, thank god. Door to door sales are the worst.
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    One of my favourite things about living in an apartment is no unsolicited knocks on my door. 

But when I'm at home I have zero desire to talk to strangers. I'm in leggings, my hair is a mess, I have no makeup on, and I'm probably covered with flour or Lysol or something to boot. I hated answering the door in the days before we had blissful silence and a quiet hallway, elevator, and security door shielding us from the world, haha.

ETA: And people still ask me if my mom is home, PS, half the time when I do have to deal with strangers at home (maintenance, other people in the building, etc), probably thanks to the aforementioned leggings/no makeup combo...so that's awkward too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

I love milk that is delivered.    We don't have it now, but I would totally go back if I could.  
    I will say it is kind of fun to have the glass bottles and all that.  They also have cheese and tubs of cookie dough available.  I haven't ordered those yet though.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    I buy girl scout cookies and those discount restaurant cards that football teams around here sell every year door to door. That's it. We never really have anyone else come by selling things, but if we did, I wouldn't have much patience. I need to get back to my shows and comfy couch sitting when I'm at home.
  • Options
    OK, so to clarify, it wasn't some rando, I saw the van and it's a company I have heard of around here that does meat delivery. I have heard good things about them and everything they have is grass fed, organic, good shit so I probably won't die from eating it. All I could hear in the back of my mind while he was doing his pitch was FI saying "not chicken again" which is what I make most nights so I was like "hell yeah, I'll take the beef". Then looking at the box after he left was more of "Oh shit, where am I going to put all of this!?" So I guess yay I have some beef.. but also, I'm a total sucker!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Usually, I'm a no, never kinda person.  But my neighbour came by with her stupid girl guide cookies.  And she goes the the school I work at, so I didn't want to be the bitchy mean teacher who wouldn't buy the stupid cookies.  I had to dig through the couches for change too.  

• Options
    I always feel bad for those people and can't just say no. So I act all interested but make some lame excuse as to why I need time and I will ABSOLUTELY FOR SURE call. 

Nope. Not a once have I bought anything from some schmo walking around.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I don't open the door to strangers and I certainly don't buy anything unless it's girl scout cookies. If a girl scout came to my door right now I would gladly buy $250 worth of cookies.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I think it's kinda cool to develop a business relationship with a real person rather than a random corporation that doesn't pay their employees living wages. I don't get how people can harp on Mary Kay and then go buy makeup from Walmart.

Anniversary

• Options
    Shit if the dairy around here delivered I would be all ABOUT that shit. Unfortunately I could go grocery shopping for a week between the gas out there and back and the cost of the milk itself. So I don't get delicious fresh dairy milk.

I'm going to see if maybe they do deliver now...
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I never open the door, not even to kids selling stuff. Ima a bad person although at my old house it was never neighbor kids stopping by, it was random kids who were dropped off in the neighborhood to sell stuff.

Ive been in this house a year and don't think anyone has ever stopped by.
  • Options
    I think we are a good target neighborhood for everything and it drives me nuts! It's known as "snob hill" around here, the houses are pretty good size and it's established.. For halloween the kids want to come up here because a lot of the houses give out king size candy bars (I went through 3 bags and ran out(. We however, lucked into this neighborhood in a foreclosure so we don't have the kind of money our neighbors have. It's kind of funny being the only "young couple" in the neighborhood, pretty much everyone else is retired or married with kids. We also got randomly chosen for the census bureau this year, I'm sure we are super exciting, they come by once a month to do the follow ups and it's always the same.. yep, still employed, nope it hasn't changed, yep, still own our house.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love where I live now. I'm in the mountains nobody is going to come knocking except the propane company.

I'm also a sucker I drove my mom crazy with how many times I would answer the door let sales people give their presentation then run to beg her for that vacuum/cookie dough/make up etc.i drove them crazy with the fact that teenage me looked old enough to try selling to.
  • Options

Nope nope nope.  I don't open the door for strangers.  I do not like being approached unsolicited.  I get that it's their job and they need to make a living.  But no.  No no no.  I won't even let the kiosk workers in the mall approach me.  If I was interested, I'd be coming to you when I'm good and ready and prepared to talk to you.  

Now, if they want to leave a flyer on the door without bothering me, I'll take a look at it.  And I'll research the company online to see if they are legit and see if there are other options out there I like better.  And if it's something I'm interested in and they don't do online sales or I want to discuss the options further, I'll call the company and ask for their representative to stop on by the next time they are in the neighborhood or set up an appointment.

• Options
    I must be kind of a bitch because I've literally never bought, signed or agreed to anything from door to door salespeople. I'm polite but brief and a conversation never lasts for more than a minute. I know they have quotas and I'd rather let them be on their way.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    There are companies that sell beef door to door? I'm really just amazed at that.
  • Options
    We rent a small apartment inside a larger house and our entrance is on the side. We live in a residential area that is in a fairly expensive neighborhood in town. We never get anyone because no one would think when pulling in that there's also an apartment.
  • Options
    I am laughing to myself remembering the time when I was younger, maybe middle school age and I invited Jehovah's Witnesses into the house and they read things and prayed with/for me. I didn't know how to say no and go away so ever since then I've just chosen to ignore
  • Options

I don't answer the door. At my old apartment, the only people who knocked where young magazine scammers and religious people who didn't think the sign on the front door applied to them. I considered making a sign that said "If you're not a girl scout, I'm not interested. Don't knock".

Now I live in an apartment with security locks. You could try to buzz me, but I would just ignore you / tell you I wasn't letting you inside.

I wanted to do this at my old apartment. Unless you're selling Girl Scout cookies, go away.I would ignore the doorbell, but it was still annoying. Then there were times they would keep ringing it.

Now we have a house with a long driveway, no one is coming up here.

• Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Door to door salespeople are the WORST! 

I usually just don't answer the door. I used to mute the TV and creep quietly until they left like a prisoner in my own home, but I ran out of fucks and now I do nothing. IDGAF if they know I am home, I'm still not answering the door...unless it's a package I need to sign for or a pizza delivery person. 
  • Options
    I don't like door to door sales people.  Some of them are trying to make an honest living, but there's also a lot of scammers in our area.

The other day I was at my friend's house and she bought a bag of tamales from a random lady at the door.  It's one thing if it's an established company, but these tamales were literally thrown in a plastic grocery bag and wrapped in paper towels.  She offered me one, and I told her hell no, because they looked like food poisoning waiting to happen.  I'm sure they were delicious though.  They smelled super legit.  She ended up throwing them away without eating any.  She just felt bad for the lady selling them. 

• Options
    I lived in a really bad part of town for long enough that if you're not a girl scout, or the pizza guy with my pizza, and I don't know you, the door ain't opening.  Thank goodness for peepholes.  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    Well update on my impulse buy.. we cooked up some steak last night and both of us agreed it was one of the best steaks we have ever had! So I guess one win for the meat guys, I will probably call them up in 10 years when I run out..

One time I had these people from some Christian school knock, wait, ring the door bell, wait, ring the door bell AGAIN. My dog was barking and I was on a conference call, I was so pissed I opened the door, let the dog run out after them and when they said this doesn't look like a good time we can come back I flat out said "don't bother". If you knock and nobody answers get the hint and MOVE ON!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards